possible 1973 error quarter

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by NickelHunter, Mar 18, 2013.

1. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

ok guys this will be a pain. I don't have a computer and am posting from my phone, so I can't post a picture, but need some help.
    I have a 1973 quarter that I'm 95% sure is an error. washingtons eye is a perfect circle, and looking through my loupe it looks like a die break.
    if someone could possibly pm me their email address I could send a picture and they could do me the huge favor of posting it here for me?
    it would be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

anyone? please. I have seen error quarters on ebay go for quite a bit of money and would really like sonebodys opinion.
    I'm new to this so I apologize for any inconvenience..thanks again guys

4. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Since you can't post a photo, can you tell me if the "circle" appears to be raised or recessed? If it is raised, it's possible that it could be an error of some sort, but if it is recessed, it is likely PMD. This will save you a lot of needless extra effort if it is PMD.

Chris

5. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

thanks for answering chris. it is kinda hard to explain. it looks to me like the smallest hole saw was taken to it. so its risin in the center but the ring around it is recessed.
    but the middle part that's risin looks like part of it broke off?

also while I have you here maybe you can answer another newb questionn?
    I bought three boxs of nickels today the fisrt two from one bank and the third from another.
    fist two not to bad
    third box was all 2013 nickels I even opened a roll to make sure. would it be worth it to hold on to a few rolls and if so what would be the reason or should I just go dump and get another box somewhere else tomorrow?

thanks a lot chris

6. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

it is a perfect circle. literally exactly where washingtons eye is

7. cpm9ball

It sounds like it is PMD. Someone didn't have anything better to do than deface a coin.

As for the box of 2013 nickels..........If you are sure they are all 2013, it might be a good idea to check them for errors or even doubled dies. When you have such a large quantity of the same date/mintmark, there is no telling what you might find. Once, when I searched a $50 Mint bag of 1980 Lincoln cents, I found 228 of the same die clash.

Chris

8. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

Screenshot_2013-03-19-19-45-30.jpg

oh I figured out a way to do it.
    here is a picture.

and thanks for the advise that's what ill do then

9. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

Ah, that's the infamous "Hypnotic George" error. :too-funny:

I'm not a pro, but it almost looks like someone used a punch to deface George's eye...

10. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

well thats disappointingI thought I had found something really cool lol.
    thanks for your help guys

devan

11. Blaubart

Blaubart Melt Value = 4.50

I'm not saying it isn't cool, and I could be wrong about what caused the circle. ;)

12. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

You say that these kind of errors go on ebay for quite a bit? Could you link to some of those auctions? Since this appears to be post-mint damage, sounds like some people are either unknowingly selling damage as errors or are trying to rip people off on ebay.

13. NickelHunter

NickelHunter New Member

no sorry I meant jusy the errors I did see were selling for a lot.. and actually I put this on ebay now I have to take it down lol. I'm glad you guys told me before anybody bid on it lol

14. Clutchy

Clutchy Well-Known Member

That picture made me laugh so hard! Im still laughing.

15. cpm9ball

Have you ever seen a crack head buffalo?

Chris

1935 Crack Head Buffalo.jpg

16. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

17. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

Hi, Id be happy to do it for u-my email is edited for your own safety

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 8, 2015
  18. c11jones

c11jones Active Member

Sorry, now I see that some1 already did it 4 u:)

Draft saved Draft deleted