Possible 1962 Washington Quarter Proof Like

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Aug 21, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

I don't need it in a PL holder. I am just simply curious. I had looked at it not too long ago when I was going through my loose coins that are in Air-Tites and thought it looked proof like compared to most of my Unc Washington Quarters. At the time it was just a thought, then @physics-fan3.14 created a thread about Rarity Conditional and Absolute. He mentioned that he was a collector of PL coins. I dropped him a PM regarding this one in which he asked to see some photo's. So I created this thread in response to that.

This is more of a learning thread for me than anything. Because of this thread, I have learned that this coin is DDO which I had somehow overlooked. So it's already been a success in my book.

And yes, there are 3 carbon spots on the reverse. This is a quarter I picked out of a 90% bin just because it was attractive and the price was right.

Santinidollar and Paul M. like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Sounds like Friday night an Aunt, sister,a nice and two nephew's.
    Not sure about the Pl either.
    2nd set of photos.
    To much polishing reflection.
    Nice Washie. I have an open spot for a 62'

4. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

Good catch in my book. Frankly, I thought it was a proof when I first looked at it.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Ok, well, if you're not itching to sell or anything, I think I'd take it to the next moderately sized coin show I was attending and show a few dealers there. I'm not seeing PL, but I'm not sure what the standards to judge a quarter as PL or not are.

If it's purely an educational endeavor, why not just send it in to NGC and see? Or maybe give ANACS a try? I'd probably do what I just said, then, depending on the answers I got, possibly send it off to a grading service, just to see what happened.

6. jtlee321

Those are all options I'm kicking around. I don't know what kind of reflectivity is needed by NGC standards to annotate PL. Physics-fan3.14 say's he has several PL Washington's, so I figure his guess would be the best around. My heart certainly won't be broken if it's not. But according to him, there are no PL's listed for a '62 yet. So if it turns out to be a double whammy with a DDO and PL, then fantastic!!

Paul M. likes this.
  7. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

If I had to guess I think that one may be a * candidate for the one sided PL, reverse looked a bit weak in the video to me

8. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

That's what its all about...education, and you won't be hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt for it :)

So my first reaction to the video is WOW, the coin looks much more proof like in the video than the pics...they almost look like different coins. I get really leery of business strike silver Washingtons that look like that...they almost look polished to me, but i'm with you on the education part...maybe I'll learn something here about the look....

Funny-Facepalm-GIF.gif

Great answer there books, you really know how to judge the spirit of a question....

I realize PCGS doesn't give those designations...for some reason those are the letters that got typed. My question still stands, does anyone know the criterion by which *NGC* judges a proof like quarter. I've been looking for this since the thread last week when a PL state quarter was posted.

9. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Oh, for the love of god! You ask a DIRECT QUESTION about a specific TPG and receive a perfectly respectful response, but now feel the need fling mud and claim to have known all along; typical CT. You're motivations are transparent.

And since you wish to resort to childishness, right back at ya...

Preview.jpg

10. phankins11

Emmmkay....wow...books, my response, albeit a bit juvenile, wasn't meant to elicit that kind of reaction...it was more tongue in cheek.

11. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Fair enough, and I admit I was surprised by it, but if I overreacted you have my apologies. My original response to you was sincere even if direct and to the point.

phankins11 likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Alright, so I've had a chance to look at the pictures and videos now.

I'd say that coin has a really good chance at getting PL. The obverse has strong reflectivity, and is quite obviously PL. The reverse is a little trickier. I don't think the mirrors are quite as deep on the reverse, but I think they are strong enough to be in contention.

I am not seeing a whole lot of die polish on either side, which is generally a characteristic of PLs of this era. I think this coin deserves further study - and has a good shot at PL if submitted to NGC.

jtlee321 and Paul M. like this.
  13. phankins11

Jason, do you know what NGC is looking for in order to give the PL designation...is there a standard measuring stick they use to judge this?

14. jtlee321

Thank you very much Jason for the information. I will send this off to NGC on my next submission. I'm still gathering coins to send in. When I find out how it does, I will update you.

Paul M. and phankins11 like this.
  15. ML94539

ML94539 Senior Member

I am guessing it might get a star, not a PL. Reverse doesn't look PL, usually NGC give one sided PL coin a star. Just my opinion.

16. physics-fan3.14

Well, many people will tell you that a PL requires 2-3 inches of reflectivity (you have to be able to read newsprint at 2 inches), and DPL requires 4-6 inches.

However, if you watch the video that I recently posted from CoinWeek ( https://www.cointalk.com/threads/cool-video-showing-the-ngc-grading-process-at-anaheim.282761 ), where they go through the grading process, one of the coins they grade is a 1904S Liberty $20 that gets 61PL. Scott, the grader, literally holds his finger above the fields and judges their PL qualities by looking at the reflection.

On the NGC boards, a member asked Scott about that, and you can read his response here: http://boards.collectors-society.com/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=9523459&fpart=1

Paul M. likes this.
  17. phankins11

Huge thanks Jason! Both the video and the discussion were enormously helpful. I feel I should spend more time on PCGS and NGC boards...seems I may be missing quite the opportunity for education.

Again Jason, huge help and I appreciate the followup.

18. physics-fan3.14

I personally don't spend time on the PCGS boards. In my mind, PCGS, NGC, and CoinTalk are the 3 major coin forums on the internet (in terms of registered folk, and active members, and quality content). CT is actually much more active than the NGC boards. There are many members here who participate in other boards. Sometimes this leads to duplicate content, sometimes this leads to very different and divergent conversations. There are other threads that discuss the various benefits of each forum.

19. jtlee321

My apologies for not answering your question about the Indian Head Cent. I believe the color is natural. It is a coin I picked off of eBay. The coloring you see is a bright iridescent turquoise and magenta that is only seen when the light hit's at just the right angle. Under normal viewing the cent looks like this..

1899-Indian-Head-Cent-Obverse.jpg 1899-Indian-Head-Cent-Reverse.jpg

And if tilted so that the light reflects directly off the surfaces and into your eye's, it looks like this..

1899-Indian-Head-Cent-Obverse-(Iridescent-Patina).jpg 1899-Indian-Head-Cent-Reverse-(Iridescent-Patina).jpg

And these were the sellers photo's..

1899 Indian Obverse.JPG 1899 Indian Reverse.JPG

Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
    phankins11 and Paul M. like this.
  20. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

oh wow... nice!

21. Coinchemistry 2012

Coinchemistry 2012 Well-Known Member

It looks semi-PL and may star at NGC as a result. I have seen a couple of others like it from the 1960s with star designations. The most reflective/fully PL pieces are usually from the 1940s through early 1950s and are San Francisco minted coins. The coins from the 1960s are scarcer, but I don't think there is a large market for star designated semi-PL coins from the era.

Draft saved Draft deleted