Possible 1962 Washington Quarter Proof Like

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by jtlee321, Aug 21, 2016.

1. jtlee321

jtlee321 Well-Known Member

Here is a possible Proof Like 1962 Washington Quarter. Looking for opinions, thinking about sending it to NGC in hopes of getting the PL designation. I know it's not a proof, but the obverse and reverse are very reflective almost like mirrors. I know it's hard to determine PL coins from photo's.

This first set of images show how contrasty the surfaces are. The second set was shot using axial and traditional lighting to show the reflectivity of the coin.

1962-Washington-Quarter-Obverse-#1.jpg 1962-Washington-Quarter-Reverse-#1.jpg 1962-Washington-Quarter-Obverse-#2.jpg 1962-Washington-Quarter-Reverse-#2.jpg

Diplodocus, TJ1952 and Silverhouse like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

I am very intrigued by this coin. For the benefit of the forum, can you explain how you know this is not a proof?

4. physics-fan3.14

Before I post any more thoughts: this coin exhibits a very prominent DDO. Could you take a look at the CONECA master list here, and tell us which one matches? http://varietyvista.com/Variety Master Listings/washington doubled dies 1960-1962.htm#_1962

I'm trying to decide between DDO-003 and DDO-005, but I can't see any cracks in the hair or on the wings in your pictures (it may, of course, be a new variety). It is not DDO-004 (which is the Cherry Picker guide FS-101).

Pickin and Grinin likes this.
  5. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

6. jtlee321

Wow!! Thanks @physics-fan3.14. I've looked at this coin so many times. I did not pick up on the doubling. The reflectivity of the surfaces have thrown me off, I was thinking it was just reflections. I'm studying it now.

Christopher290 likes this.
  7. physics-fan3.14

The TRUST is definitely not reflections (these have strong doubling), and the rest of IGWT show some doubling. Without seeing it in hand, I can't be sure, but it looks like the 9 and 6 of the date show doubling as well, and also the tops of LIB.

8. Christopher290

Christopher290 Active Member

its in great condition either way... i like the penny to the right of your pictures... is the blue toning natural?

9. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Well, it's definitely high grade (and, yeah, nice doubling on IGTW), but I can't really tell if it's PL or not from the pictures. I'd need to see it actually reflecting something to tell.

10. jtlee321

I forgot to mention why it is not a Proof. The reverse is the biggest diagnostic. The reverse of this coin is known as a Type A reverse and proof reverses are known as Type B. The quickest pickup for me on Type B reverses is the leaf just above the A in DOLLAR. On Type B reverses the leaf connects to the top of the A, this coin does not exhibit that diagnostic. There are other diagnostics such as the leaves to the left of the arrow tips.

11. jtlee321

I will try to post some images of the coin reflecting an object. But that won't be until late tonight. I have a dinner party to attend.

Paul M. likes this.
  12. physics-fan3.14

Mmm... I've had too much wine to post a coherent opinion tonight, so it will have to wait until tomorrow.

In the meantime.... I love dinner parties. What are y'all having?

13. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

To me it does not look prooflike in your pics, but it could just be your pics...the surfaces seem to show a lot of metal flow rather than a mirror like surface to me. Your spot on about the reverse design.

What are the criterion for PCGS to designate PL on a grade?

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

They don't/won't, so there isn't any. NGC will.

15. jtlee321

Books is exactly right. NGC is the only one who will designate PL. PCGS only does Morgan Dollars.

16. jtlee321

The dinner party is at my Mom's to celebrate my daughters birthday, my girlfriends birthday, my brothers birthday and my step dad's birthday. :)

17. Cascade

Cascade CAC Variety Nerd

Damn. Who's on first :wacky:

phankins11 likes this.
  18. jtlee321

Ha!!! August is crazy in my family. My Dads birthday and my step mom's birthday are in August too as well as their anniversary. My grandma who died last year had her birthday in August.

19. jtlee321

The crazyness starts on July 22nd, then August 7th, 12th, 15th, 16th, 17th (anniversary) & 19th.. It's finally all over. :)

20. jtlee321

Ok. I figured the easiest thing to do would be to shoot a video of the coin while turning it. So here they are.

21. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I see a lot of reflectivity, but no clear reflection. I'm not sure how PL designations work for things that aren't Morgan dollars, however. I also see 3 dark spots on the reverse that didn't show up prominently in your original photos.

Is there a reason you want this coin in a PL holder? If it were my coin, I'd seriously consider just sticking it in an Air-Tite and calling it good.

Draft saved Draft deleted