possible 1960 toned quarter

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by -Andy-, Feb 10, 2016.

1. -Andy-

-Andy- Andrew B. -Andy- YN

possible 1960 toned quarter. Value? Details??

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

What are the other possibilities? I need to know my options before I commit to an answer.

4. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Better pics needed (obverse and reverse, camera straight on). Also, don't hold the coin like that; you'll get fingerprints all over it. Hold it by the edge.

Shot in the dark, going by the obverse alone, it might be MS63, which would put it in the couple dollars range for retail value.

5. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

I certainly could be wrong, but have the feeling we're looking at an best AUish coin. It's hard to (for me anyway) to get a proper impression of the surface conditions.

6. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

Toned washingtons aren't really sought after unless they are gems, so no real premium, cool though, nest color. I'd like to see better pics and a pic ov tge reverse.

7. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Could be, but it doesn't matter much. What I posted still holds if you replace MS63 by AU.

8. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Of course.... but the actual grade may still be important to the young gentleman. Perhaps he will post better representative photos when able.

9. -Andy-

The back of the coin is in mint condition no toning on the back at all.

10. David Setree Rare Coins

David Setree Rare Coins Well-Known Member

Yes. I think you are correct.

11. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Yes, it does appear to be a 1960 quarter with toning.

The coin looks to be AU, and the toning is attractive but not really unusual or exceptional. Silver value is $2.86, so your coin is probably worth $4 or $5.

-Andy- likes this.
  12. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Did you find this in change? Cool. Mint condition doesn't mean no toning, it would refer to the absence of any wear. If you see flat places or scratches, it would most likely not be MS or Mint State.

Paul M. and -Andy- like this.
  13. -Andy-

I bought it at a coin store for $3.00 out of a 5 pound bucket. I don't think the owner of the shop noticed that it was toned.

14. -Andy-

Do you guys think people would want to purchase this item???

15. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

For the right price, someone will buy anything. You have to find the right buyer at the right price.

As I've mentioned, the coin is worth about what you paid for it. I wouldn't expect much profit, but if you post it in the marketplace section at the right price, I'm sure someone would buy it.

16. l.cutler

l.cutler Member

It is pretty much worth what you paid. There is nothing special about toning unless it is really dramatic. Some collectors prefer their coins toned, some like them untoned, some don't care. It really adds nothing to the coin.

Draft saved Draft deleted