Possible 1955 Doubled die . What are your thoughts ? ☺️

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by WizardofAwes, Mar 7, 2017.

1. WizardofAwes

WizardofAwes Member

image.jpeg image.jpeg
    Here are a couple photos . Just found this one today. ThankU all for your knowledge .

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Die deterioration causing the mushy appearance and what appears as doubling. This is often referred to as the 1955 poor man's double die. This is a misnomer though as that it is not a doubled die

Paul M. and WizardofAwes like this.
  4. coincollector197

coincollector197 ANA Platinum member since 12/9/15

It is called die deterioration 'doubling'. It isn't worth much more than a regular 1955 P, unfortunately. Keep looking!

WizardofAwes likes this.
  5. Rick Stachowski

Rick Stachowski Motor City Car Capital

You can really see those flow lines coming off of the rim, to that 5 .
    That's what happens on a worn die ....

WizardofAwes likes this.
  6. Ordinary Fool

Ordinary Fool Active Member

I dunno, a few have sold for about a 100 bucks and I'd keep it and not care who said it had no value. Cheap thrill for around one cent.

WizardofAwes likes this.
  7. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

Anyone, and I mean ANYONE even just asking anywhere remotely close to $100 for a "poor man's" is nothing more than a black eye upon this hobby. Posting such things is both potentially misleading and dangerous for those who may read it and not know any better.

While this one appears to be a little more extreme than regularly encountered, @coincollector197 is correct; it isn't worth much more than a regular example in a similar condition, and many would prefer to avoid such coins altogether, instead preferring examples that do not display said deterioration. "Value" shouldn't be considered the best case, burn the next guy amount one may get for a coin, but the average one could reasonably expect from a knowledgeable individual.

8. Ordinary Fool

You do have some rather strong opinions and present them rather freely and carelessly from your keyboard.

Have people paid that kind of money for DDD 55's? Yes.

Is it likely people will pay much more than YOU think other DDD coins are worth in the future? You betcha.

The market will pay for what the market wants regardless of what any group of highbrow elitist say has no value.

Would I keep that coin because it catches my eye and including the foregoing reason? You betcha, remember, I keep all copper pennies and you don't like that either.

Edited:Inappropriate Language.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
    WizardofAwes likes this.
  9. dog_pound

dog_pound Supporter! Supporter

Juvenile response. Hypocrisy comes to mind

Muzyck and eddiespin like this.
  10. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

This is just a smear from the strike on a wasted, greased-up, slippery die. Just so we know what we're paying for...

11. Ordinary Fool

Some people have to be spared the presumption of civility, cooth and even accountability. Otherwise they'll likely not comprehend if not spoken down to nearer their level.

Edited: Do not make threats

I don't speak to anyone online in a manner I'd not speak to their face. Do you?

WizardofAwes likes this.
  12. Ordinary Fool

Agreed, but I like it better than some XF 1955 that's just an XF 1955. I've no idea why that would bother anyone. It's not like I'm in the coin business or will sell any I've put back ever.

The fact others have paid more than a few cents for a poor man's 55, should tell you guys that have to hustle coins to keep your lights on.... well it should tell you something.

13. desertgem

desertgem Senior Errer Collecktor

Wizard, it is a common die defect from extensive use. Before the internet where such were advertised without photos, the terminology often grab people who thought they had a 'special deal', Ebay still has some that pop up with great exaggerated description. Dealers who cheat , sell damaged or use alternative facts tend not to last long on coin forums such as ours. As you might have noted, we are different than most. Have a nice evening sir.

14. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

This from the hotshot who threatens violence while safely hiding behind his keyboard? Again, I will happily speak to you in person as I have here, dear Rambo; don't flatter yourself.

As long as you're here spewing misleading Edited, I will counter it regardless of if it bothers or hurts your precious little feelings. The OP and plenty of others are either new here and/or new to the hobby, and their well-being, as well as the over all health of the hobby, is what matters. Edited: there is NOTHING lower on a coin forum than someone who willingly and/or intentionally misleads others.

Respect begets respect, foolish; just something you may want to keep in mind.[/QUOTE]

15. desertgem

Ok, thats about an even exchange so lets stop here. Calm yourselves and think before posting along this line. Thanks Jim.

16. Ordinary Fool

Nary a threat made and not a thing wrong with responding as I did. I said exactly what I will do and PROMISE your pal will NEVER get a thin dime worth of my business ever.

BB4C....All I ever told you is I didnt believe it would work out well for one of us for you to speak to me in person like the moderation here allows you to speak to myself as well as others.

Nothing is stopping you from making yourself known.

Censor away. Do whatever you do. :)

So now desert has edited me yet again, let his loose cannon pal crap all over again to decide that's about an even exchange.

Seems about par for the course from both my personal experience and objective observations of your version of impartial moderation. The rules are real simple except they don't work if you only enforce them on some while patently allowing a handful to blatantly ignore them with impunity.

Seig heil, yada yada blah.

17. desertgem

Time out time.

18. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:angelic: What's going on?... oh, never mind :angelic:

19. coincollector197

coincollector197 ANA Platinum member since 12/9/15

Why would anyone pay $100 for a Poor Man's doubled die?

20. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

So I go into the garage and mom's old bowling ball has been sitting there for 20 years collecting dust. Well I check the finger holes and what do you know. A 1955 doubled die, a 1922 no D and in the thumb hole a copper 1943.

paddyman98 likes this.
  21. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

:jawdrop::hilarious:!!!

Michael K likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted