possible 1943 penny error

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Loken, Apr 22, 2009.

1. Loken

Loken New Member

okay, i have a steelie with a very faint 4 like so faint you barly see it, the coin is like all most perfect execpt for that, and i know its not because of wear, becauce, like i said, the rest is immaculate, and i found this webpage about some ladys husbands steelie that is discribed just like mine is, and it said error coin on it, i know you guys appreciate pictures but i cant really get you one due to my PC's complete terribleness. if you have any info, or theorys i would appreciate it, and possible a estament of how much its worth, although i have no plans on selling it

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

What happened to your coin is that it was struck with a filled die, whether it be grease or whatever, the die was filled. I would say they have no extra value but I sold one like it about 6 months ago for over $30. Go figure that one out.

[​IMG]

4. Loken

Loken New Member

thank you for the reply, at least i can say mine is special, plus mine looks brand new, like just out of the mint, so its still worth something

5. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

Like this :D.....

(MS66)
    [​IMG]

Stevearino likes this.
  6. Loken

Loken New Member

yes! exactly! is it yours?

juris klavins likes this.
  7. CoinKeeper

CoinKeeper Keeper of Coins

8. coppercoins

coppercoins certifiably unstable

These are nearly as common as 1943 cents without filled digits. A decent amount of the weakness is due to the strange die wear that shows on a lot of 1943 cents. No premium value, and not really even special. Viewed by many as more of a detriment than an addition.

9. bqcoins

bqcoins Olympic Figure Skating Scoring System Expert

really, I've never seen one with a weak 4 like that before without it having significant wear.

10. Loken

Loken New Member

yeah, you would think my 43 was a unc except its in a cardboard case

11. jonnybuck

jonnybuck New Member

hey rockdude that penny looks like it has a Y at the end of "TRUST" at the top of your coin picture. ? I also have a 1943 penny like that where the "Y" at the end of the "LIBERTY" to the left side of the bust is very faint, but it has been struck again with an "I" over top of the faint "Y". Have you ever heard of or seen this before? If you care I would be happy to post a picture. Thanks

12. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Of course, it sounds interesting. It's probably no more than post mint damage, but still interesting to look at.

13. jonnybuck

jonnybuck New Member

[​IMG]Here is the picture, I have macro on my camera but uploading a zoomed in picture I may not be able to do. Dont laugh 'cause of the coins ugly color. I stopped collecting coins along time ago but I am pretty sure of this mark. However I will let you be the better judge of it. By the way did you look at the steel penny pic that you posted? Is it just me or does it look like a "y" up there?

14. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

jonnybuck WELCOME :hail: to the forum. Your coins color looks normal for a 1943 zinc plated steel cent. The letters look like post mint damage.

15. jello

jello Not Expert★NormL®

Rock is rigth!

And Welcome to cointalk!!!!

16. bhp3rd

bhp3rd Die varieties, Gems

I've seen thousands of these, they are normal.

I've seen thousands of these, they are normal.

17. loosechange

loosechange Junior Member

Nice pics of the stell pennies. I have a penny that I dont know if its a overdate or what??? On my penny it has no mintmark and the (43) in 1943 is double stamped. Is that worth anything???

18. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

No mintmark means it is from Philadelphia and the "doubling" on the 43 is most likely due to die deterioration which is very common on the 1943 cents.

19. rockdude

rockdude Coin Collector

Got a picture?

20. Joel rodriguez

Joel rodriguez New Member

I have 1 too but my penny has copper and steel and also has a 4 besides the 4 behind the 3 is thaat an error???

21. Saphire7

Saphire7 contenial congress member

did they plate them with copper

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted