Possible 1922 No D Plain Cent American Wheat Penny

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by Dave from the country, May 21, 2021.

1. Hi Everyone,
    I was going through some American pennies and found this 1922 D (no D) American Wheat penny. I think it is at least possible it may be a No D- Plain Cent for the reasons below, but before I spend money sending it in for grading, I thought maybe someone might be able to point out something I have missed and save me some dollars. You will see the mark below the date. I have carefully measured the location against a photo of a 1922 D coin off the internet and it is not where the D would have been located. It is too far to the left. Thank you very much for any information you might be able to provide and best regards.
    Dave

A brown American 1922 Plain No-D Cent, is often referred to as a "Plain Penny" or a "Plain Cent" and minted in Denver. The general information that is available on the web I believe might substantiate my thought that this coin is what it is, which is a genuine No D coin. Here is some additional information.
    1. - While there is a mark under the date, it is too far to the left to be even a weak D. I took a screenshot of a 1922 D coin and measured it against another exact screenshot of this coin by taking a sheet of paper and holding it down from the 9 and the 1st 2 and then across the bottom of the 2. The area where the D would have been struck is clear.
    2. - The last 2 of the date is noticeably clearer than the first 2 in the date.
    3. - The coin has a strong reverse.
    Here is some additional information:
    • Quote..."The 1922 cent run at the Denver Mint, though, did give collectors a delicacy — the 1922-D Lincoln, No D cent. Three pairs of dies accidentally struck cents with a faint or obliterated D Mint mark."
    • Quote..."7 million 1922 Lincoln cents were made. All 1922 pennies were made in Denver — therefore, they should all have a D mintmark. However, not all 1922 pennies have a D mintmark! In fact, a small number of 1922 cents have a weakness with the D mintmark. Even fewer in number are the 1922 wheat cents which show virtually no trace of a D mintmark — a 1922 penny without a D mint mark is called a “plain cent” or “plain penny”.
    • Quote..."While the 1922 penny with a D mintmark is generally considered a semi-key coin compared to the 1922 plain penny, it is relatively common. However, because the 1922 plain penny is so rare, relatively few coin collectors will ever be able to have an example in their collections.
    • Quote..."All 1922 Lincoln Wheat Cents (Pennies) were minted at the Denver Mint and should have received a "D" mintmark. An issue arose at the Denver Mint where the coin dies used to strike coins were being overworked and overused. Some coins would receive a weak "D" mintmark and in some very rare cases, the mint mark would be completely missing. The rest of the coin features would have a weaker strike as well since the dies were so worn out. The "No D" variety is the rarest and most valuable.
    • One way to tell the difference between the "Weak D" and the "No D" is the fact that the "No D" variety has no trace of the mintmark. In addition: The last "2" is typically clearer than the rest of the date and the word "TRUST" is much clearer than the rest of the words in the motto "IN GOD WE TRUST" .
    • Some coins will have a "Strong Reverse" which means that the worn-out dies were just replaced with new ones

Attached Files:

potty dollar 1878 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

I think that you have one of the "broken D" varieties. The "official thing" does not have any trace of the mint mark, and the reverse is strong. There are three varietes of the 1922 Plain, but only the one with the strong reverse is recognized by the major grading services.

Here is a high grade (MS-63) example that Heritage sold at auction. Note the obverse is very weak despite the grade.

1922 Plain Her 63 O.jpg 1922 Plain Her 63 R.jpg

4. Thanks. Do you think it might be worthwhile sending it in or would I just be throwing money waay>

5. johnmilton

johnmilton Well-Known Member

You need to post pictures of the whole coin in order for me and others to give you advice. One thing for sure. It's worth more than a cent.

Beefer518 likes this.
  6. SensibleSal66

SensibleSal66 U.S Casual Collector / Error Collector

Throwing Money Away !

furryfrog02 likes this.
  7. expat

expat Remember you are unique, just like everyone else Supporter

The last 2 in the date is clearer than the rest, unfortunately you haven't shown TRUST to see how clear that is. There is an impression of a MM there, and with over 7 million struck, and with the MM being hand punched into however many obverse dies they used, I agree with the above that it is a broken D variety

8. Done now. I'm new at this and didn't know. Thanks for the direction.

9. More photos have been attached now. Thank you.

expat likes this.
  10. potty dollar 1878

potty dollar 1878 Well-Known Member

aren't they all;).

11. eddiespin

eddiespin Fast Eddie

I can't say that. That's up to you. If it's bothering you, send it in. All I can tell you is, it's not the 1922-D "No-D." It's the 1922-D, and the mint mark appears to be where it ought to be, allowing for the damage and wear.

12. Matthew Kruse

Matthew Kruse Young Numismatist

Pre 1982 :)

13. Leslie Hollenbaugh

Leslie Hollenbaugh New Member

Here is my 1922 no D, strong reverse.. I'm not sure what grade it would be... any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Attached Files:

14. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

15. potty dollar 1878

To me it doesn't appear to match any of the die pairings,also where's the L in liberty?I can't see it at all,at this point unless more pictures are provided I'm going with not genuine.I also suggest for you to make your own thread to get more responses.

16. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Potty it has all the markers of Die pair 2
    Strong reverse. The L is butted up against the rim. Mushy WE and a very strong trust.
    Second 2 is stronger than the first.

17. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Catch 22. If it's a no D it's worth sending in. If it's not, it's not.
    The experts here if you get clear photos of both sides, the date, etc.
    will be able to tell you if it's good or not. This coin is always warned that the D may be removed and because sometimes of the horrible die wear and resulting muddy strikes (and circulation) it's very hard to tell what you have. There are markers which would indicate yay or nay.
    The 2nd 2 is stronger than the first, but it looks more like a worn 1st 2, (wear,circ) than a weak 2 off the strike. Behind that wear and circ that 1st 2 looks pretty strong.

18. potty dollar 1878

Ok then,attribution just isn't my thing I guess.

19. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Just going off a reference. The strong reverse is a give away for die pair 2.
    Better photos would help. It is still a coin that I wouldn't buy unless in hand or Authenticated.
    Here is the reference I was using.
    1922 Weak D and No D Lincoln Cent Varieties (lincolncentresource.com)

20. BadThad

BadThad Calibrated for Lincolns

Looks like a regular, worn 22D to me.

21. potty dollar 1878

That's exactly what I was using,i also had pair 2 but something just didn't look right to me.

Draft saved Draft deleted