(possible) 1918/7 S Standing Liberty Quarter (s)

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by stldanceartist, Sep 12, 2018.

1. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Good afternoon.

Just a couple quick questions while I image a couple recent pickups for this post:

I see that there is a diagnostic die clash near Liberty's right knee, and also a die chip to the right of the date (usually not visible on worn specimens.) Is this die clash exclusive to the 1918/7 variety, or is it visible on normal 1918 S specimens?

Reason I'm asking...sigh...is that I have TWO with this die clash. In my opinion, the 8/7 should fill the lower loop of the 8 (or at least look like it's at least half filled) - but I'm not sure mine show this.

Does anyone own one in F or below?

Here are the images:

Example 1

1918 S Standing Liberty Quarter 1.jpg

Example 2

1918 S Standing Liberty Quarter 2.jpg

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

When I first opened the post, I thought you might have something, especially Example 1, but then when I looked at the CoinFacts pic, I think you should see more fill in the bottom loop, even in a worn example (as you commented above).

See what the rest of the group has to say.

Santinidollar likes this.
  4. stldanceartist

See, that's what I thought. I felt the loops should be more filled...but the die clash is there on both. So I'm curious if they exist on non-variety coins.

5. ToughCOINS

ToughCOINS Dealer Member Moderator

I definitely expect to see the bottom of the 7, and do not see it on either of your coins.

6. BooksB4Coins

BooksB4Coins Newbieus Sempiterna

The mintmark positions also look to be slightly different on each of your coins.

7. Conder101

Conder101 Numismatist

Since the dies are typically in the same position on most every pair of dies put in the press, if they clash they will produce almost the same clash marks, every date, every mint. Clash marks are NOT a good diagnostic feature to identify a particular variety.

8. stldanceartist

Thanks for the replies.

Yeah, I wasn't seeing the 7/8 either...but I remembered reading that there was only one obverse die created for the variety (and all of the variety had the die clash) so I was mainly curious if the die clash was known on normal coins.

I never reached the "OMG OMG" stage.

Draft saved Draft deleted