PORBI upgrade

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by maridvnvm, Aug 28, 2015.

1. maridvnvm

maridvnvm Well-Known Member

As a Probus Lugdunum maniac, I mean collector, there are a few classic mint errors that I have been keen on getting. One of my favourites is the COMITI PORBI (sic) AVG error.

I managed to obtain a copy of it back in 2008

Probus
    Obv:– IMP C PROBVS • P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– COMITI PORBI(sic) AVG, Minerva standing left, holding olive-branch and spear and resting left hand on shield
    Mint – Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 7 Officina 1. A.D. 280
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien 315 (example c). RIC 69 Bust type F var (PORBI in error not listed in RIC)

I need to update the image but a few minutes trawling though my hoard didn't allow me to find it.

[​IMG]

One of the examples cited by Bastien of 315 - the standard PROBI coin, 315c - Voetter, is also PORBI from the same reverse die. No examples cited in Bastien Suppl. II. I have seen three other examples since 2000. All known examples come from the same die pair.

Quite a pleasing example but with minor areas of corrosion. Well I managed to spot another, put a low(ish) bid on it not expecting to win and now have added it to my collection. Still not quite perfect but more silvering and only a tiny patch of surface crust in front of Probus' nose.

[​IMG]

Martin

chrsmat71, zumbly, vlaha and 8 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. medoraman

medoraman Well-Known Member

This is what is cool about ancients, depth. You chase issues like this and find them fascinating. I think that is spectacular. 99% of us, (or more), probably would never know this variant exists or even give a rip. Same is true of a ton of stuff I collect as well. That is what makes this such a great hobby, so much variation for all of us to find a niche in. :D

Mikey Zee likes this.
  4. Mikey Zee

Mikey Zee Delenda Est Carthago

As a former modern collector who LOVED 'error' coins, I find yours to be utterly fascinating---not to mention I wasn't even aware of it LOL

I bet Doug has more than few of the type...

5. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Very true. My "2 year hunt" ended recently and arrived yesterday. Will be posting it soon.

Very nice, Martin. Congrats.

6. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a great piece. By the way, a maniac and a collector are the same, just spelled differently. :)

TIF likes this.
  7. seth77

seth77 Well-Known Member

Porbus was very porlific in his coinage, especially as far as bust types (one of my obsessions) goes:

PROBUS AE23mm 3.29g billon Antoninian/Aurelian (aVF, patina)

AV: VI - RTVS PROBI AVG; radiate heroically nude bust left, holding spear and aegis across the shoulder seen from back.

REV: VIRTVS AVG; Virtus standing left, holding victory and spear while leaning on a shield.

EXE: QXXT

REF: RIC V-2 437var. - unlisted for this bust type. Ticinum mint, second emission. 277AD.

col4_html_m38bc257e.jpg

Mikey Zee, zumbly and stevex6 like this.
  8. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

These little errors or varieties are fun stuff - I'm not knowledgeable enough in one's I'm interested in, but I can relate to the feeling.

9. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

In most cases the error spellings I have seem to be one die where someone just made an error. The ones I like are the 'errors' that are repeated on more than one die. I am not into Probus deeply enough to have examples of his but there are several from Septimius Severus. Top of the heap, in my mind is the spelling PBINCIPI which is very much more common than the correct PRINCIPI.
    rs2440b00279lg.jpg rs2470b01566lg.jpg

The other one I only wish I could show are the Domna dies omitting an I from IVLIA. I have two dies from Syria but the same error was made at Alexandria and I lack that one. I do know Martin has it but do not know how many dies total have IVLA.
    rs5190b01324lg.jpg rs5200b02000lg.jpg

There are other Severan spelling errors but this is a Probus thread.

zumbly, vlaha and stevex6 like this.
  10. maridvnvm

I have the same Syrian Julia D. die

[​IMG]

Here is my Alexandrian die

VENERI VICTI (sic)
    [​IMG]
    and muled with the Septimius Severus reverse VIRTVS AVG COS II
    [​IMG]

11. maridvnvm

I have some other Probus, Lugdunum errors

ORIES for ORIENS

Probus
    Obv:– IMP C M AVR PROBVS AVG, Radiate cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– ORIES (sic) AVG, Sol walking left between two captives, right hand raised, left holding globe.
    Minted in Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 2 Officina 1. from November to December A.D. 276
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien 164c. RIC 44 Bust type F.

[​IMG]

12. maridvnvm

And TEMPR for TEMPOR

Probus

Obv:– IMP C PROBVS P • F • AVG, Radiate, cuirassed bust right
    Rev:– TEMPR (sic) FELICI, Felicitas standing right, holding caduceus and cornucopiae
    Mint – Lugdunum (I in exe) Emission 6 Officina 1. A.D.278 to A.D. 279
    Reference:– Cohen -. Bastien -. RIC 104 Bust type F var. Not listed in Bastien or RIC with this reverse legend error.

I have seen one other example of this error sold on ebay and it came from the same die pair

[​IMG]

Orfew, chrsmat71, Mikey Zee and 3 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted