Popular Hobbies Are Dying

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by heavycam.monstervam, Jun 12, 2018.

1. mikenoodle

mikenoodle The Village Idiot Supporter

It amazes me that nobody has mentioned baseball cards, but that’s not the purpose of my reply... ;)

Nostalgia is not dying, and that’s where I feel many hobbies find their base. But collecting the things that we find nostalgic is dying off as we are slowly doing, whereas what is nostalgic to my 27 year old daughter (sailor moon toys) is starting to become marketable.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. harley bissell

harley bissell Well-Known Member

I spent 39 months stationed in Germany from 1974 to 1977. Wife number one was allowed to buy one Hummel per month plus also asked for better ones for birthdays and Christmas. We returned to the states in 1977 with over 50 of them. When she decided that she wanted to leave she removed all of her "treasures" from our house before I was notified. Her carefully packaged Hummels were placed in storage for several years until she had a new husband and a new home to display them in. When she unpacked them every piece was broken or shattered. At the very least something that stuck out was snapped. I heard that news with mixed emotions since I paid for all of them. But hey. At least she didn't sell out for top dollar and put all the money in "rare" BEANIE BABIES.

serafino likes this.
  4. heavycam.monstervam

heavycam.monstervam Outlaw Trucker & Coin Hillbilly

During my childhood in the 80s I collected baseball cards most of which are now worthless and some of them were saved.
    The stuff that was eventually thrown away-
    Transformers
    Ninja Turtles
    Voltron
    Masters of the Universe
    $$$ :greedy::greedy: some of them worth Mega bucks
    Now, 30 years later.
    I even had a special edition Masters of the universe telephone. That i won around 1988.
    I won 1st place in a contest at Toys r Us or ChildrensPalace (?)- I had to create and draw a new masters of the universe character. Shark man was my creation.
    Idk how many states/stores we're giving these out and i dont even remember what the telephone look like. I would probably recognize it if I seen another one . Anyway that was something else that got pitched and who knows how much money it's worth today:banghead::banghead::banghead:
    I may have to search eBay and see if one of those phones have sold on there

Last edited: Jun 17, 2018
  5. MisterWD

MisterWD Active Member

What is dying is journalism. The entire media has become the number one platform for liars and spin doctors for whom reporting accurately and truthfully is not an option, not even a consideration. And any nonpolitical items and trivia, like this article about hobbies dying, they get wrong out of pure ignorance, stupidity or invention.

6. TheFinn

TheFinn Well-Known Member

Changing, YES. Dying, NO. In some ways the average collector is much more knowledgeable and savvy than 50 years ago thanks to variety and error collecting. People don't collect rolls of coins like they used to, or even sets for that matter much. But they do put together sets of VAM silver dollars.

7. NYandW

NYandW Makes Cents!

Model railroading: Mags have gone out of business, hobby shops closed, most modelers in the 50+ age bracket, high cost of entry level to build a railroad, most folks never have ridden train, seen a freight switch siding, or remember steam.

8. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The amount of space it takes is probably the biggest obstacle to that hobby. Houses and apartments/condos just keep getting smaller and more expensive and most people wouldn’t have a room to dedicate to a track or even have a backyard

jafo50 likes this.
  9. charlietig

charlietig Well-Known Member

That's true only in the matter of what scale trains you wish to model. N and Z-Scale layout can be made in a briefcase if you want and yes I have seen them in person. From guitar case, briefcase, coffee table, old tv, and even a fish bowl once. With that said, HO and O-Scale are the two most popular scales to model which running out of space can happen very quickly.

Draft saved Draft deleted