Pop-out or Repousse coin expert sought...

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Rassi, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Rassi

Rassi #GoCubs #FlyTheW #WeAreGood

Anyone who is an expert on pop-out or repousse coins, I'd appreciate you contacting me via PM so I can ask a question.

Thank you in advance!

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Funny you should mention this. Over on www.listia.com there are some of these being offered under "Browse" and then "Collectibles" and then "Coins" in the drop down. I don't know if they are experienced with them or just came across some to offer up.

4. Rassi

Thanks - checked that out and it looks like only one - a Kennedy. There are several of those on eBay, this one doesn't look to be very unique. Appreciate the heads-up though.

tommyc03 likes this.
  5. jwitten

jwitten Well-Known Member

Here is the only one I have
    s-l500.jpg s-l1600 (1).jpg s-l1600 (4).jpg s-l1600.jpg

BadThad, SchwaVB57, Blissskr and 7 others like this.
  6. Rassi

I like that one, that is the style I'm looking for, but rather one that is more like just the coin, or with minimal modifications after the pop-out work has been done.

7. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

8. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

what is your question ? many of us here collect them. I do.

9. dwhiz

dwhiz Collector Supporter

10. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

11. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

I have a few done with Lincoln cents, here is one...

[​IMG]

BadThad, Paddy54, SchwaVB57 and 3 others like this.
  12. Rassi

I was trying to learn more about the various ones I've seen, and more appropriately how to put a fair value on them. I know the "asking" price on eBay isn't really accurate - gotta know what they actually sell for, but it seems this is a highly variable class of item.

I posted a few weeks back an example of one that looked like a poor casting - had a lot of bubbles and holes. There are some on eBay now that say "coin shaped", clearly they aren't made from real coins. Not sure if they're cast or what. Some others just look really poorly made, or heavily worn (these are the ones with liberty such as http://www.ebay.com/itm/1901-Barber-Half-Dollar-Pop-Out-Vintage-Coin-Take-a-Look-/122355465797.

Any tips or help on properly valuing ones that look nice would be appreciated...

13. The #1 Collector

The #1 Collector New Member

The best way to get info on Pop-Out coins is to buy the book about them.

14. The #1 Collector

The #1 Collector New Member

I looked at the one I have. It was published by Oded Paz. I think he's a member here.

Rassi and tommyc03 like this.
  15. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

Oded has not been around in quite awhile but he is also into elongated coins. And he loves coins with Owls.

16. PennyGuy

PennyGuy US and CDN Copper

You could do an eBay search for completed sales/auctions.

spirityoda likes this.
  17. Rassi

I have done that - but with a lot of differing conditions and dates it's hard to pin down 1-to-1 comparisons...

18. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

the older ones get more money. the new ones get less.

19. saltysam-1

saltysam-1 Junior Member

There are only two patents issued for theses. One by George Keppler the other by William Malliet. The pop-ups which carry the most value have patent bars inside them. One patent was issued in 1903 the other in 1904. Most of the collector value lies in coins from this era. Only one person has ever wrote about them in book form, he is Robert J. Stump. He was the only person who tracked sales and attached their retail values. It is also the only known price book in existence that has merit. There are about 100 printed. I do have a copy, and Oded Paz distributed them until they are now all gone. I obtained mine prior to finding out Oded was involved in the market. There was a blog that discussed them and he and Robert Stump were the driving force. After Robert died in 2011, Oded acquired the last copies from his estate. The blog closed down with Roberts' passing. The Repousse market primarily was in Chicago with the key jeweler being Kalo Jewelry. These are the premium pieces most sought after. Many of the coins used were from the late 1800's through the early 1900's. Also look for that patent bar to assure authenticity.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2017
    tommyc03, Rassi, ldhair and 2 others like this.
  20. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

21. Rassi

Ok, who beat me out on the auction for the Repousse coin book by Stump on eBay???

Draft saved Draft deleted