Pop Out Morgan Dollar - Authentic or not?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wcoins, Jan 31, 2015.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

If these were so easy to cast out of cheap material, would the market not have been flooded with cheap repousse coins like these? I have seen none. I will have it tested for silver content once I get it back. If it's silver, then it's real. If, not, it's a fake.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I don't think the coin is fake at all. Looks like a genuine popped out coin or "repousse". I've never come across a fake repousse, there wouldn't be any reason for it. I don't think you'd be able to fool anyone with it, but you never know.

wcoins likes this.
  4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

it's a pop out coin I collect some of them.

wcoins likes this.
  5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Did you notice the weight of pop outs being a little over the weight of original coin? Can you show some pics?

6. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I don't even know how you could see something like this and think it would be real. I also would like to get the buyers definition of "real".

Del Pinto likes this.
  7. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

What do you mean? What makes you think it's not real? These are pop out "repousse" coins, original coins punched to look like that. Look on ebay, you will find lots of pop-out dollars, halves, cents, etc

8. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

9. JPeace$

JPeace$ Coinaholic

I should have expanded on my comments. The initial dollar might have been genuine, but the coin was then altered. The final piece is more art, but the final design is the artists own. It was not produced by the mint. The artist didn't just push out the obverse devices, he altered them. So what constitutes "real". A real what? A real piece of art? Yes. A real Morgan? No. The base piece might have started out as a genuine Morgan coin, but the final piece is no longer a Morgan silver dollar.

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

If the host coin was genuine, it is still legal tender and could be exchanged at the mint for a dollar under their mutilated coin exchange program. So while it's no longer usable as a dollar, it is still a dollar.

11. LostDutchman

LostDutchman Under Staffed & Overly Motivated Supporter

The host coin to me appears to be counterfeit... It just has the look of older cast counterfeits.

Del Pinto likes this.
  12. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I think once I know whether it's silver or not, we'll be able to tell for sure. I don't see the use for a fake 1921 90% silver Morgan. Hope to find out in few days when I get it back. I have got some testing acid, no stone, maybe I'll buy a stone so I won't pour acid on it.

13. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

I can't tell based on those photos, but the surface isn't looking particularly silver to me, either.

Del Pinto likes this.
  14. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

15. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

16. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

Hey Guys,

I am the distributor of Robert Stump's book, "Pop-Out, Repousse Coins - A Numismatic Mystery".

Sadly, my good friend and colleague Bob (Stumpy) passed away a short while after the book went to print, and before he could see the final fruits of his work. R.I.P. Stumpy!

Both editions of 100 books each (2011 and 2012), have been long sold-out. I have not seen even one offered on the secondary market.

I have a few hundreds of different pop-out coins, and my collection is growing every month with new finds.

I am working on publishing a new edition of the book, with more information, photo examples of newly found pop-up coins, and a more up-to-date price guide.

I would be more than happy to assist anyone and answer any questions anyone may have about these wonderful creations of art!

spirityoda and wcoins like this.
  17. OdedPaz

OdedPaz Elongated Designer&Roller

Now, regarding this specific coin that you are referring to. Let's make a few things clear.

There are two different ways of making ORIGINAL pop-out coins which means that you actually take a real coin and make it into a pop-out coin.

Then there are the fakes, that the buyer is referring to.

The fakes are those that are not actually popped-out coins.

What the fakers do, is take a real pop-out coin, and make a die-cast of it, and then cast as many coins as they want, using white metal, or even silver, to make these cast replicas.

A cast Morgan, and a cast pop-out coin made to look as if it's on a Morgan, are both fakes.

An easy test to differ between the two is the cling/clonk test - drop it on a piece of marble or glass, and listen. If it clings, it's silver, and most probably an original pop-out made from a genuine coin.

If it clanks, it is POSSIBLY a fake, but not positively a fake.

Take a good magnifier and look at the surface of the coin - you may see additional metal where it should not be on an original Morgan (outside the popped-out face). You may see a "sandy" surface.

You can also test it to see if it's indeed silver or not, although many of these fakes were silver plated (or gold plated) after casting them.

As for the specific popped-out Morgan in question here, it does seem to me like it may have very well been cast and not on a genuine coin. You would need to test it using the methods I described above, and determine it's authenticity.

I am very happy to assist anyone who may have any questions regarding these coins, turned into fantastic works of art!

Del Pinto, messydesk and wcoins like this.
  18. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Thank you for your posts!

I would like to ask couple of questions if I may. Are the popout coins supposed to weigh identical to the original? (if the original Morgan is 26.7 grams, should the popout also be 26.7grams?). This coin pictured weighs over 27 grams, is that a red flag?

If you look on the back of the coin, it seems like some residue, could that be indicative of it being a fake? (see pic)

Are the known popout fakes modern or old? I see fake regular Morgans all over the place, yet I can't find any fake popout ones, even though they bring nice premiums.

I will perform the tests mentioned when I get it back.

I don't collect Morgans, a question for the Morgan collectors - do the letters on the coin look right?

Uxntitled.jpg

19. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Ok, just got it back, I am even more confused now after testing it.

It turned green/yellow, then fast it turned creamy white / clear.

1) If it's fake, it should turn green / blue and stay that way
    2) If it's real, it should stay red or turn creamy white

Pic 1 - acid still on coin
    Pic 2 - after acid removed

Could this be silver, but plated on top?
    Untitsxled.jpg Untixasxtled.jpg

20. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Had it tested at jewelry store. They put it inside a machine thingy and composition popped up on computer screen.

NOT SILVER!

21. SteveCaruso

SteveCaruso Counterfeit Collector

That's the nail on the coffin. A cast replica.

I take it was mostly tin or zinc?

Draft saved Draft deleted