Pop Out Morgan Dollar - Authentic or not?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by wcoins, Jan 31, 2015.

1. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

I sold this on ebay. Buyer says it's fake, wants refund.

What do you think, is it fake?
    $_57 (12).JPG
    $_57 (9).JPG $_57 (11).JPG

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Markus1959

Markus1959 Well-Known Member

OH WOW!! It's the rare 1921 high relief obverse - low relief reverse Morgan!!!!!!!!!!

4. Mojavedave

Mojavedave Senior Member

Well, I don't think it's a Morgan Dollar.

Del Pinto likes this.
  5. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Yes, that's the one!
    $_57 (12).JPG

6. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Maybe I should get it graded? :D

7. Markus1959

Who could slab that?? :)

xCoin-Hoarder'92x and tommyc03 like this.
  8. tommyc03

tommyc03 Senior Member

You are kidding me? I thought these were privately made?

9. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

A coin with a head on it??? Kind of creepy... ;)

coinman1234 likes this.
  10. Markus1959

Yep - there's only one good kind of head - (get your minds out of the gutter) - the one on a fine draft beer!!!!

deacon2828 likes this.
  11. deacon2828

deacon2828 Active Member

How do they do that ?

12. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

It looks wrong. It may simply be that it has unusual features for a repousse, but it may also be that it is a modern made piece with modern metal work.

Del Pinto likes this.
  13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Both of you (seller & buyer) should have your head examined. You can't prove it's real, and he can't prove it's fake.

Chris

JPeace$ and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  14. xCoin-Hoarder'92x

xCoin-Hoarder'92x Storm Tracker

And if the buyer bothered to look at photos and make sure he knew what he's buying, why act like a dummy when receiving it? Food for thought....

15. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

The buyer is an idiot.

Of course it is post mint, if he/she thought otherwise then they should be banned from buying coins-- for life.

Or they should get a life.

What did your lot description say?

spirityoda and xCoin-Hoarder'92x like this.
  16. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Of course it's post mint, the buyer knows that. Question is, is it a real Morgan Dollar that was pressed/punched to look like that?

17. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

To me it looks completely fine. It might have been worn as a pendant and cleaned, or even plated on top. Weight is a bit over 27 grams, which is a bit over what a regular Morgan should weigh, but since it's pressed, it's normal not to weigh exactly 26.7 grams like a regular Morgan.

18. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

This is the way I see it:

No one would fake a 1921 Morgan Dollar in silver. Why the trouble to make a silver coin that is worth close to melt anyways? Fake it in a cheap alloy, yes, but not in silver.

So, if this coin is made of 90% silver, then it is a genuine repousse coin. I will have it back in few days and test it. It is worn anyways, a large portion of rim does not have the reeds anymore, since it was in a pendant, so there's no damaging the coin.

These repousse coins sell for huge premiums, I have seen repousse Morgans sell for $100+.

19. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

No basis to judge authenticity of the underlying coin from here, but I have to wonder where the extra weight 0.3+ grams would have come from on a worn coin. Perhaps the buyer's conclusion as to authenticity (whether or not it's correct) is based on it being heavy. Are there cast repoussé coins out there? There was recently a book on these released that may shed more light on it. Tell the buyer you'll accept the return, but ask why he thinks it's fake. If he's a jerk about it, just block the buyer, offer his ID to interested parties, and move on.

wcoins likes this.
  20. Markus1959

21. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Great post. Of course I have accepted the return, coins is on its way back.

Buyer says it looks like pewter/lead and that it looks cast. I am not an expert on how these are made, but how can you cast something like that? I think you don't just take a regular coin, put it in a machine, and that's it, here's your repousse coin. I think there's more to it, some added material. Also, since it was used as a pendant, lots of reeds are missing, I think some added material over there also. Might have also been plated at some time.

Draft saved Draft deleted