Ponton D'Amercourt sale ready!

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Suarez, Jul 17, 2019.

1. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

I probably should have added this to the old thread but can't find it now (sorry)

The famous 1887 sale by Rollin & Feuardent of the Ponton D'Amercourt sale (Roman & Byzantine gold portion) is now listed on the Coryssa test server complete with prices realized:

http://coinvac.crabdance.com/index....period/all/list_order/date/list_order_dir/asc

Coming up with accurate pricing was a bit of a challenge. The sale was settled in French Francs and I couldn't find any direct Franc-to-Dollar conversion rate from that far back but managed to work it out from various sources based on comparative labor rates to 1 Franc = $5.25. The rate based on the buying power of gold came to a multiple of 5.15 so either way close enough.

Obviously, the prices shown are contemporary. For a good idea of equivalent in 2019 dollars click on the Adjust for Inflation button on the upper left. It is, to me at least, amazing that after over 130 years the prices have remained so stable. Most of the cheaper ones would seem overpriced in today's market but the rare "highlight" lots would feel right at home in your average NAC or Nomos of nowadays.

Enjoy!

Rasiel

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

Interesting overview list of such old auction results , thanks for sharing Rasiel.

2 comments

the coins look silver due to the b/w images.
    perhaps an adjustment in color ?

P1230716b.JPG

And I think the US - French Franc is wrong. Here are 2 US gold coins, the Bickford and the Stella which show a ratio of 20 US cents for 1 French Franc.

P1230716.JPG

4. Nicholas Molinari

Nicholas Molinari Well-Known Member

This is a fanstastic resource. Thank you for sharing.

5. Suarez

Suarez Well-Known Member

Oh wow! I did goof up the price multiplier. Thank you for correcting me. I just took care of this.

Rasiel

Andres2 likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted