PONT Part Two

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by David Atherton, Aug 23, 2020.

1. David Atherton

David Atherton Flavian Fanatic

A couple of days ago I posted two recent Domitian PONT denarii I acquired.

https://www.cointalk.com/threads/pontificating-about-pont-denarii.365395/#post-4775392

This one arrived today and a bit late to be posted along with the others. It's probably the most aesthetically pleasing of the bunch.

D23.jpg
    Domitian
    AR Denarius, 3.13g
    Rome mint, 81 AD
    Obv: IMP CAES DOMITIAN AVG PONT; Head of Domitian, laureate, bearded, r.
    Rev: COS VII DES VIII P P; Curule chair, wreath above
    RIC 23 (R3). BMC -. RSC -. BNC -.
    Acquired from eBay, July 2020.

An extremely rare Domitian First issue group 3 PONT denarius. RIC lists the frequency as R3 (unique), but apparently this is the third known example (one is cited by RIC from the Sotin Hoard and another is in the Forvm member's galleries). Notably, the unusual reverse legend lacks the standard TR P (an omission?). This early denarius was struck before Domitian became Pontifex Maximus and the completion of the necessary religious rites. These First issue coins were struck with rapidly changing titular titles (as Domitian racked them up) and were likely intended for legionary donatives.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2020
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Orfew

Orfew Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

Wow David that is an awesome coin! Personally I will take these in any condition. One cannot be too choosy when coins are this rare. That portrait is excellent! Some of the portraits on the PONT denarii are not in fine style to say the least but this one certainly is.

David Atherton likes this.
  4. Limes

Limes Well-Known Member

Nice addition @David Atherton . Congratulations! The portrait is very nice, and I think the wear adds charm.

Magnus87 and David Atherton like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted