POLL: Which image backdrop is most appealing to you?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by gbroke, Jun 1, 2012.

?

Which backdrop style do you prefer?

1. Simple, no effects, white background

10 vote(s)
    32.3%
  2. Simple, no effects, black background

12 vote(s)
    38.7%
  3. white background with shadow

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  4. black background with shadow

1 vote(s)
    3.2%
  5. white background with shadow and reflection

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  6. no preference

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

I know I am not the only one who enjoys looking at images of coins.
    With the coin photo contest going on, and a lot of newer members getting into the imaging scene, I thought I would take a poll.

I am just curious how you think the backdrop for a coin image should look.
    Everyone has their own style and use various colors and effect for their images.

I created a few different styles, and would like to hear some opinions. Voting in the poll is great, but I would like to know why you chose a particular one.
    I realize it does depend on the coin itself. For example, dark/brown copper doesn't really fair well with black backgrounds.

My personal preference is generally a white background. The main reason for this, is the forum pages are usually white, and I like how the image just blends in and makes the coin appear to "float". I do like the reflection, but just a little. I feel too much reflection distracts from the coin itself. Blah blah...let's get to it.

Which of the following backdrop styles, would you prefer when displaying your coins?

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1. Simple, no effects, white background

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Simple, no effects, black background

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. white background with shadow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. black background with shadow

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. white background with shadow and reflection

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Morgandude11

Morgandude11 As long as it's Silver, I'm listening

For the toned coins, the white background with reflection. Let the coins speak for their own beauty. For non-toned coins, the black looks best IMHO. Since you have beautiful toned coins, I'd go white.

4. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

Gotta go with #2, which is how I do my coins. Sometimes I find the effects some collectors use distracting to the coin itself.

5. Pure white. Nothing more.

6. TexasTwister

TexasTwister Member

Reflections don't do a lot for me as a buyer. As a seller, I prefer a dark background for coins that are bright and lustrous and light backgrounds for coins that are toned or circulated (no luster) or copper. I don't want a background that the coin can fade into, rather a background that contrast the coin. So to answer the question: 1 and 2.

7. pumpkinpie

pumpkinpie what is this I don*t even

Plain white with a few exceptions.

8. I like white with shadow. To me, it helped bring out color and detail of coin without distraction. TC

9. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

1 or 2; I think my preference between them depends on the coin, but I can't concisely explain what would make me choose one over the other.

I don't like drop-shadows, because they imply that the light is coming down from the top, and that's usually not the case. They also make me wonder what else the photographer might have altered while fiddling with the photo.

Reflections make me wonder even more, and they annoy me in general. Ten years or so ago, when Mac OS X came out with candy-colored translucent buttons, everybody's Web pages had to have candy-colored translucent decorations everywhere. Now, with iPhones putting reflections under icons, everything has to have reflections underneath. I've been a Mac user since 1985, but really, Apple doesn't need to dictate graphic design for everything else in the world. :)

10. gbroke

gbroke Naturally Toned

Thanks for the input everyone. I really like to hear your opinions.

lol Jeff. I agree how the UI design from the mac really influenced overall web design and styling. It reminds of the phase us web developers went through known as "Web 2.0". Ridiculous.

I think your take on "What else the photographer might have altered" is also a valid point as well. Thank you for the input.

11. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

I voted for simple white, only because I couldn't vote for my favorite, which is Black, with reflection (no shadows). I do not like the shadowing effect, I think it takes away from the coin rather than adding to it. But I do like the reflections.

Some coins however definitely look better with a simple white background.

12. geekpryde

geekpryde Husband and Father Moderator

I voted for "white background with shadow and reflection ", which suprises me since I thought I always perfered black backgrounds. Really, I love them all, but "no preference" seemed like I'm ambivalent, when really I wanted to pick the option "They are all freaking amazing!". Was that just an oversight when you made the poll?

13. Chiefbullsit

Chiefbullsit CRAZY HORSE

14. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

While I prefer black or gray, white is still better than those fake reflections and shadows.

15. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

Simple, no effects black background. That's how I prefer seeing them, but If I'm taking the pics for ebay then I just set the coins on a book with a fake vinyl backing. :thumb:

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted