Poll: Which 1864 2 Cent should I keep for the type set?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by CircCam, Jun 10, 2018.

?

Which one should I keep for the type set?

1. Coin A: Higher grade/Details (obverse spot removed)

71.0%
  2. Coin B: Lower grade/Problem-Free

29.0%
  1. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Was trying a few different lighting setups since I had two of the same type/year here and figured I'd make a poll for fun to see what coin you all lean towards. I try to keep things problem free in this set, but since I picked up Coin A thinking it was a variety (it wasn't) here we are.

This page of my 7070 is always going to be mixed anyway as I can't find a circulated steel cent that isn't ugly and a high-end Classic Head ain't happenin', so the context is fine for either.

I'm not certain about the spot removal but that's my guess as to what happened there on the obverse left by the looks of it.

Coin A: 1864 2C.png
    Coin B:
    1864 CIRC 2 copy.png

Coin A (alternate lighting #1) :
    1864 UNC 2 copy.png
    Coin B (alternate lighting #1) :
    1864c CIRC 1 copy.png

Coin A (alternate lighting #2) :
    1864 UNC 3 copy.png

Coin B (alternate lighting #2) :
    1864 CIRC 3 copy.png

Thanks!

Last edited: Jun 10, 2018
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

I voted coin B. It's XF40, which is a totally respectable grade for a type set! I like the 1st one, but that spot grabs your attention. If it were on the reverse, I may have voted Coin A.

CircCam likes this.
  4. ldhair

ldhair Clean Supporter

I like the first two images the best. To me, they have a more natural look. I would put Coin B in the album because I feel Coin A is the better coin. I'm not much for putting my better coins in the 7070.
    I'm not sure about Coin A but it could have been someone with a Q-tip trying to help it. I would lay it on my desk outside of a holder and just watch it for a few months. The brighter area may darken. The really dark spot will always be there but a doctor could change the brighter area back to brown really quick.
    It's really nice just the way it is.

CircCam and baseball21 like this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

I like A better but I'm no expert.

CircCam likes this.
  6. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Love the strike on coin “A”...... Howeever it that one don’t win your vote.... PM me!

CircCam likes this.
  7. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

I prefer Coin A for its more even coloration. The spot @C-B-D mentioned (presumably we're talking about 10:00-ish on the reverse, near the rim) did not in fact grab my attention until it was pointed out, whereas the stainlike darker toning patch on Coin B did.

Neither is a bad coin, really, but between the two, I'm for Coin A.

Edit: I typed that before zooming in on the supposed spot removal on the obverse to the left of the shield of Coin A. I guess this was the spot @C-B-D was talking about. Admittedly, I was skimming and not reading the text and focusing on the pictures (but on a very small phone screen).

Zooming in on that spot changes my opinion somewhat.

I still don't think either of these is a bad coin, but I think you could do better in terms of eye appeal. Both of these are just kinda so-so.

Keep looking.

CircCam, Santinidollar and Garlicus like this.
  8. BoonTheGoon

BoonTheGoon Grade A mad lad

Coin A is still nicer and I wouldn't personally mind the spot but pick what you like!

CircCam likes this.
  9. NLL

NLL Well-Known Member

Looks like coin B may have some verdigris on it which can progress and get worse. So I would stick with coin A.

CircCam likes this.
  10. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

I go A, because B looks like it may have been cleaned at one time.
    And I like A more anyway even if B has not been cleaned, I prefer the color on A and the details.
    There is that one rub on the left side on the reverse.

CircCam and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. lordmarcovan

Agreed. Between these two, I still lean towards Coin A but would keep looking for Coin C, wherever and whatever that is.

Stevearino and CircCam like this.
  12. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Coin "C" would be my choice, as well, but since we have to choose...It would depend on what you're going to do with the other coin, plus what you paid for each, as well as how they compare to other coins in the set.

To me, coin "B" has a more natural look, but it has problems. I don't like the color on the obverse of coin "A". Something has been done to it.

Keep in mind that I am barely an amateur, let alone a novice or better, lol.

CircCam likes this.
  13. CircCam

CircCam Victory

I'll take a couple no-frills snaps of both later... I don't see any problems in hand with B but it looks more natural in-hand than in the photos. I'm an ongoing work in progress when it comes to photographing this stuff.

14. CircCam

CircCam Victory

And thanks for all the comments/opinions so far!

I have a harder time selecting with this one because the design isn't my favorite (besides the IN GOD WE TRUST part and I like that this was the first year) so I don't get "grabbed" by them in general.

15. Garlicus

Garlicus Debt is dumb, cash is king.

Your pictures are MUCH better than the pics I take with the ipad and post, lol.

16. Santinidollar

Santinidollar Supporter! Supporter

I always tend to lean in favor of the problem-free coin.

Is looking for another example in your wheelhouse? If so, I’m with @lordmarcovan Keep looking.

17. lordmarcovan

Sell 'em both. Find a CircCam!

That'll be a tall order, but surely not an absolute impossibility ...

18. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Haha, yes the almighty CircCam will always win with me. I haven't found one of these with that look yet without problems.

19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Ok, I tried to take these in the @Eduard -ian style.

Coin A loses its nice sheen in this type of lighting (natural, window sill) but Coin B deserved to be done justice and these show how it actually looks in hand.

IMG_3093.JPG
    IMG_3199.JPG IMG_3201.JPG

20. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

I’m still slobbering over A. It’s just a clean and solid strike to me.

CircCam likes this.
  21. lordmarcovan

It will be a very challenging mission indeed.

Draft saved Draft deleted