Poll: What is Your Main Ancient Collecting Focus Area?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Theodosius, Dec 29, 2018.

?

What is Your Main Ancient Collecting Focus Area?

Poll closed Jan 28, 2019.
  1. Ancient Numismatic Literature

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Asian

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  3. Indian

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  4. Oriental Greek

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Greek

14 vote(s)
    20.0%
  6. Roman Republic

7 vote(s)
    10.0%
  7. Roman Empire

30 vote(s)
    42.9%
  8. Roman Provincial

5 vote(s)
    7.1%
  9. Byzantine

3 vote(s)
    4.3%
  10. Coins of the Bible

4 vote(s)
    5.7%
  1. Theodosius

Theodosius Fine Style Seeker

I am curious about what area of ancient numismatics people would consider their main area of interest. You could look at it like if you could only collect one area, what would it be? I know that is unrealistic but just for the sake of the poll think about it. Of course, one of the great things about ancient coins is the variety of different issues, times, peoples, etc. that people can collect. I personally collect everything but have one top focus area.

If this poll interests people, I can do another one where people can vote more than once. The poll is just for fun and to be thought provoking.

I have tried to list the major areas without getting too detailed. There seems to be a limit on how many alternatives a poll may have? I would have added "Late Roman Empire", "Punic" and several others if I had not been restricted.

Feel free to expound on or clarify your choice.

Post the coin you feel exemplifies your collecting interests and explain why.

Or ignore the poll and go eat a bacon sandwich! :)

John

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Aidan_()

Aidan_() Numismatic Contributor

Ha! My collecting focus is everywhere. I was going to ignore the poll and ask where's the bacon option... but you took care of that. :D

4. Theodosius

This is my first poll!

I voted for Greek. I was attracted to ancient coins because of the amazing artwork created in such small scale using primitive tools so long ago. I like classical artwork the best, but also enjoy archaic and Hellenistic as well.

The coin best exemplifying my collecting interests that I own would be:

Pharsalos Drachm 1a.jpg
    Thessaly, Pharsalos, AR Drachm, Superb classical style, both dies signed by the master engraver Telephantos, 5.794g, 19.0mm, 195o, Pharsalos (Farsala, Greece) mint, late 5th-mid 4th century B.C.
    Obverse: Head of Athena right, wearing crested Attic helmet with raised cheek-piece, small TH behind neck.
    Reverse: Φ-A-R-S (clockwise from lower right), Thessalian cavalryman on horse prancing right, wearing petasos, chlamys, and chiton, lagobolon over right shoulder in right hand, reins in left hand; TELEFANTO small, retrograde, and low relief in exergue.
    References: Lavva 105 (V51/R58); BCD Thessaly II 640 (same rev. die); BMC Thessaly p. 43, 6 & pl. IX, 9 (same); HGC 4 624; BCD Thessaly I -.
    The tiny letters on the obverse left and reverse exergue are the initials and signature of Telephantos.

See also this thread: https://www.cointalk.com/threads/a-stater-of-kelenderis-my-last-coin-of-2018.329340/

John

5. Theodosius

Ha ha, I knew bacon had to be mentioned somewhere.

If I made it an actual poll alternative it would have won by a mile.

John

ominus1, Orfew and Aidan_() like this.
  6. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

Both imperial and provincial, with a slight edge to imperial...

ominus1, Justin Lee and Theodosius like this.
  7. Beginner345

Beginner345 Active Member

Carthaginian , Roman( Rep+ Empire), Greek, Byzantine, Parthian, Egyptian( Ptolemaic dynasty ONLY)

Theodosius likes this.
  8. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'm new (6ish months) to ancients so I only have mostly late Roman stuff and just a few other things. No Greeks yet but wow are they beautiful.

9. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I would've liked at least a couple selections. I buy more Roman usually but lately it's gone Greek. So that's what I picked.

ominus1, Justin Lee and Theodosius like this.
  10. Beginner345

I used to feel the same way ,but late Roman coins are so worthless compared to the early stuff that I gave them up long ago. After Commodus, things went downhill .

100 years later in the Constantinian dynasty they had so many coins put out under Constantine I's sons that you could wall paper your house with them if you wanted to and it wouldn't cost you that much. They just aren't rare and most people never heard of all the emperors after Commodus,.

Would anyone even know who he was without the movie Gladiator? Not really.

11. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

I'll believe it when I see it. Have you ever posted a coin on here? Or just people deficating? Didn't you recently say it's no wonder that happened and that this board has enemies?
    It seems to me you have targeted this good board as it's ever changing avatared enemy. Girl, guy, troll.

ominus1 and frankjg like this.
  12. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I still find that there are quite a few interesting pieces. I like that they are affordable too. I have 2 small kids so my coin budget is pretty small.

13. Beginner345

IMO,Commodus is only well known because of Gladiator. Buddy of mine runs a coin shop in the suburbs and he said he has boxes full of late Roman coins just collecting dust. He cant even give em away.

14. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Like furryfrog, I only recently stepped into the ancient coin realm. I find all of them fascinating, but have been gravitating toward Roman Republic and Roman Imperatorial coins.

ominus1, furryfrog02 and Beginner345 like this.
  15. Beginner345

You are right. Some are nice and affordable- I mean the coins are still 1700 years old. That was my appeal at first too.

16. Valentinian

Valentinian Well-Known Member

PM me with his contact info, including a phone number. I might be able to help.

17. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I collect mostly Roman empire, which in my book covers republican, and provincial as well. But my sub-Roman empire speciality is architecture.

ominus1 and Justin Lee like this.
  18. Beginner345

Same here. Republic more so now. I have so many Roman Empire pre-Commodus that I just got tired of buying them. Unless you sell online- most actual coin shops don't want them. They prefer to buy and sell silver denarius or gold . He doesn't even want to buy any bronze.

19. Beginner345

I can speak for my friend and say ty for the offer,ill ask him if hes okay with that first

20. Theodosius

Lets not turn this into a flame war.

All areas have their appeal.

I really like Byzantine for the fascinating history.

John

Jwt708, furryfrog02 and Beginner345 like this.
  21. Beginner345

the cup coins are pretty interesting...

Draft saved Draft deleted