Poll: This Napoleonic medal is about to come my way in a swap. But which item should I swap for it?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by lordmarcovan, Jun 14, 2019.

?

Which swap option should I use to acquire the Napoleon medal?

1. Swap the 1854 PCGS XF45 USA 25c + $150 cash.

8 vote(s)
    40.0%
  2. Swap the 1875 PCGS F12 USA 20c, even-stevens.

5 vote(s)
    25.0%
  3. Keep the US coins and scrape up the $295 cash the seller is asking for the medal.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  4. I'm biased towards US coins so I don't find the medal that appealing.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
  5. I'm NOT biased towards US coins but still don't think the swap is ideal.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. I like both your US coins AND the medal, so I can't narrow it down.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  7. You should have Chinese carryout for dinner.

3 vote(s)
    15.0%
  8. You should have Japanese carryout for dinner.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  9. I'm not voting unless you include the traditional bacon option.

2 vote(s)
    10.0%
  10. You should flush your coins down the toilet and do a public kazoo solo in pink plaid boxer shorts.

1 vote(s)
    5.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

This French medal is about 99% certain to be coming to my Eclectic Box collection soon.

It is a special gilt bronze specimen striking of a Napoleon Bonaparte memorial medal by Antoine Bovy, commemorating Napoleon's Paris funeral on December 15, 1840. The reverse shows his original tomb on the island of St. Helena, where he died in exile in 1821.

ObaDaCSQR1mhlgfCCz6g_32592814_Large.jpg
    (*The medal was struck in 1840. That "Bramsen-1990" on the label is the variety number, not the year it was issued.)
    nhBhhOlJQpqQHItH4tlA_Napoleon medal slab obv.png KN8yjEEwQlC1uPqD9yFV_Napoleon medal slab rev.png

This has a PCGS population of 1/0, meaning it is the only example graded by them. The seller was asking $295, but he and I have a prior good history of swaps, so this deal will be partly or fully a barter transaction.

I have narrowed the decision of what will comprise my end of the deal down to two options, either of which are preapproved by my swap partner.

Swap Option 1: My PCGS XF45 1854 USA quarter plus $150 cash.

g9qA18eJRgum539V7SJp_36149064_Large.jpg

The quarter, which I got from @CircCam, is not a true CircCam, but a nice "crusty" original example. PCGS trend price is $140. I paid $100. So Swap Option 1 means I'd end up with the Napoleon medal for $250 plus the shipping cost for my end of the trade. This is a bit less than the $270 plus shipping total that Option 2 below would cost me, but it would require that outlay of $150 in cash.

Swap Option 2: my PCGS F12 1875 USA 20-cent piece, even trade.

kk8aOmMQTmWZ5xCk0e17_36031777_800.jpg

PCGS trend price is $285. I paid $270. So I'd end up having $270 (plus the shipping and insurance for my end of the swap) as my cost on the Napoleon medal. I'd part with an arguably "better" coin by taking this option as opposed to the previous one, but no cash outlay would be necessary, aside from shipping.

I am primarily a World coin collector, but nice classic US Type coins do still appeal to me, too. They just end up as bargaining chips a bit more often, maybe because I'm just more jaded with US coins after 43 years of collecting. I tend to view them as commodities as much as collectibles, though I do enjoy collecting them.

The 1854 quarter, while nice, is certainly not irreplaceable.

The 1875 20c piece is a fun obsolete denomination, a slightly scarcer Philly-mint coin from a year where most were struck at San Fran, and it exhibits true CircCam contrast. That being said, while it's nice (if rather modest in grade), and I like it, it's not irreplaceable either.

I have wanted a Napoleon (Bonaparte) coin or medal for a while but have seen relatively few I liked that were within budget. I had watchlisted two nice gold coins a while back, but either would have been a big reach and both are now well beyond my newly self-imposed $500 ceiling.

This gilt bronze medal, while posthumous, has the visual advantage of large size (c. 41 mm), and a nice design. I prefer the military portraits of Napoleon to the neoclassical ones, usually, and I have always had a thing for pastoral or botanical designs. And the gilt (gold plating) gives it the visual impact a large, prooflike gold coin would have. And I can assure you that large, flashy, prooflike 41 mm gold coins are not within my budget! So think of this as a "poor man's proof gold", in a way - with a bit of added history to it.

What do you think of the Napoleon?

Which swap option should I use to acquire it?

"Pile on" by posting your own coins or medals featuring Napoleon I, or 1854 USA quarters, or USA 20c pieces. :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

I’d personally keep the coins. If you really have to trade something for the medal, then go for option #1. Please keep the circ-cam 20c piece, it’s a very nice coin and you may regret letting it go at a later time.

Seattlite86, Rheingold, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
  4. furryfrog02

furryfrog02 Well-Known Member

I'd keep the 20c and trade the 25c.

5. lordmarcovan

To the person who just voted the last option in the poll:

Are you really sure you'd wanna see that? :facepalm::smuggrin:

Y'all are not limited to just one poll option, BTW.

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  6. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

I'd dump the 20c piece and keep the quarter.

I love circ cam coins & I still own my 20c, but it's in better shape than yours, even though it's the common type.

Also Chinese carryout

7. furryfrog02

PS - I also voted for Chinese for dinner. Can't ever go wrong with that :)

dwhiz and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  8. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Was there an option: Bacon

dwhiz, Randy Abercrombie and green18 like this.
  9. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Quite agree. Don't let go of that twenty cent piece. I never come across them much, but when I do, they're moon money.

10. Lawtoad

Lawtoad Well-Known Member

Trade the Seated Quarter + $150. The 20 cent piece is a lower mintage coin and finding another one that is a nice circulated one like yours might be difficult.

Seattlite86, dwhiz and lordmarcovan like this.
  11. green18

Do that around these parts and the locals would call the cops.........

And thank you. I really needed that image of sort stuck in my mind on a Friday nite.........Hey Mom. The 'frat boys' are at it again........

Randy Abercrombie likes this.
  12. micbraun

micbraun coindiccted

No I am not sure, but hey I have seen worse.

...or maybe not? :-D

13. lordmarcovan

Never was a frat boy. Never was a fat boy, either, until middle age, but boy howdy, did I ever make up for lost time and firmly cement myself in the latter category!

Actually celebrated being (barely) under 300 lbs at the clinic weigh-in yesterday. :rolleyes:

14. green18

You're a good sport LordM........:)

lordmarcovan likes this.
  15. ddddd

ddddd Member

You should flip a coin between the two swap options. :p

I'd go with the Quarter plus $150 as it is the cheapest overall option and I think the 20c piece is a more appealing coin (and one that would likely be easier to sell/swap in the future).

lordmarcovan likes this.
  16. lordmarcovan

Usually I agree, and Chinese food would get the edge over Japanese Tonight, however, dinner is the "Super Bowl" from Kyoto Express. Rice, filet mignon steak, teriyaki chicken, shrimp, mushrooms, broccoli. All for 13 bucks. Quite tasty, too.

(Photo focus fail)
    20190614_183801.jpg

Seattlite86 and furryfrog02 like this.
  17. Randy Abercrombie

Randy Abercrombie Supporter! Supporter

Something about middle age and southern food I reckon. You ain’t alone.... And yes, the Chinese.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  18. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

BTW, since I like 20 cent pieces, I would hang onto that.

Seattlite86 and lordmarcovan like this.
  19. CircCam

CircCam Victory

From the sound of it, between the two you’re more partial to the 20 cent so I would trade the quarter if I were you if the $150 is in your coin fund pocket. If it isn’t, then you’re better off letting go of the 20 cent as it won’t add to the deficit and you’ll still have the quarter as a bargaining chip for your next purchase.

lordmarcovan likes this.
  20. furryfrog02

That's why I chose to keep the 20c. I've never actually seen on IRL. I would like to own one though since it is the only non-gold US coin I am missing from my type set.

21. CircCam

CircCam Victory

Come to think of it though, I snagged my twenty center up quick when I found it because I don’t see them crusty and attractive very often in that grade range whereas the ‘54 (and crusty seated quarters in general) are way more prevalent.

E798627F-AED5-43E2-8FCB-90F865CAFB95.jpeg

Seattlite86, NLL, dwhiz and 2 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted