Poll: "In God We Trust" on coins?

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by se-collectibles, Apr 7, 2010.

?

Should "In God We Trust" be on US coins?

1. Yes

122 vote(s)
    65.6%
  2. No

51 vote(s)
    27.4%
  3. No Opinion

13 vote(s)
    7.0%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

How do you feel personally? Should IN GOD WE TRUST be on US coins?

The poll is private. Your answer won't be visible.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Coinman1974

Coinman1974 Research, Research, Research

Yes i do. However where is your poll?

4. se-collectibles

se-collectibles Collector Extraordinaire

LOL! I was in the process of posting it!

5. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Yes.

But I don't see a poll.

The poll is up now.... :)

6. vipergts2

vipergts2 Jester in hobby of kings

I am not particularly religious, but I feel it should be on our coins.

7. abe

abe LaminatedLincolnCollector

Doesn't really matter to me as long as the cashier accepts it...

8. coleguy

coleguy Coin Collector

I could care less either way. It was put there by a lobbying group, which speaks volumes of buying government, but thats as far as I'll go there.
    Guy~

9. coinshop

coinshop New Member

it should be on us coins for no other reason other than cultural tradition. What should we put, "in Obama we trust"?

10. walmann

walmann Two loups and myopic

Better to place Trust in God than the social security trust fund.

11. AdamL

AdamL Well-Known Member

I believe in God, but I don't think it belongs on money.

12. Duke Kavanaugh

Duke Kavanaugh The Big Coin Hunter

I love 2 cent piece so I say it stays.

13. Grbose

Grbose CoinSpace.com CEO

If your going to trust in someone trust in GOD

14. DoK U Mint

DoK U Mint In Odd we Trust

and to the republic

and to the republic, for which it stands....etc....

Is a little long.

It has gotten us this far. May as well have faith. Otherwise we are hopeless.

15. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

I don't mind making mine visible at all - I wrote this for the powers that be some years ago.

"IN GOD WE TRUST"

Few things have ever created so much and such long-lived controversy in the history of our nation as those four little words. Those four words are one of the Official Mottoes of the United States of America. The other is E Pluribus Unum. And as such they appear on every coin and every Federal Reserve note produced in our nation today.

The nation is divided into two basic camps regarding this subject; those who think the Motto should be changed and removed from our coins and currency; and those who think it should remain. Both camps have their reasons for their ideals and both are resolutely certain that their ideal is the correct one.

Those who wish the Motto to be changed and removed base their thinking on the idea of the separation of church & state and claim that such a Motto is not a part of our nation's heritage. That it is but a recent addition and as such had no place in the founding of our nation. And that based on the idea of the separation of church & state such a Motto is unconstitutional. Those who wish the Motto to remain unchanged refute these claims in every way. It is a difficult subject for many people to consider in which camp they belong. For others, they have no problem. They know on which side of the fence they stand and defend their position with vigor.

A simple search of the Internet for the words "In God We Trust" will bring up enough links on both sides of the issue to keep a person reading for weeks. But for myself there are really only two questions that need asking. Is the Motto actually rooted in the very beginnings of our nation's heritage? And does the Motto contradict the idea of the separation of church & state?

The first question is easily answered for me. There were 56 men who signed the Declaration of Independence in 1776 - the very beginning of our nation. This is the pledge that those 56 men made - "For the support of this declaration, with firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence, we mutually pledge to each other, our lives, our fortunes, and our sacred honor." It seems rather hard to argue that "In God We Trust" and "firm reliance on the protection of the divine providence" do not convey the same meaning. And how much further back can you go into our nation's heritage than the signing of the Declaration of Independence?

Then of course you can examine our National Anthem - written in 1814. The words of the third from the last line of the fourth stanza are - "And this is our motto - 'In God is our Trust!" Now somebody will say those words are not in our National Anthem. But "The Star Spangled Banner" is actually a poem that was put to music. And only the first stanza of the poem was used in the song.

So it seems to me that when Congress decided to place the Motto "In God We Trust" on some of our coins back in the 1860's they were only too aware of just how much those words are a part of our nation's heritage. Perhaps we have forgotten it.

As for the second question; this nation was founded on the idea of freedom of religion. Because at the time, in most nations of the world there was only one religion acceptable in any given nation - that being the State Religion of the given nation. And the founders of our nation wanted to make sure that was not the case here - which they did.

The First Amendment of the Constitution states - "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof......" Seems rather obvious to me what that means. That the Congress shall not make any law that establishes a State Religion. That is what is meant by and what was intended by our founding fathers to maintain a separation of church & state.

Perhaps - we have forgotten too much.

16. fretboard

fretboard Defender of Old Coinage!

I have always liked that motto and I think the majority of ppl will vote to keep it. I'm just sayin'

17. Ladies First

Ladies First Since 2007

If it wasn't on our money, it wouldn't be ironic.

18. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

Does it really belong on your money currency/coins given:

The motto IN GOD WE TRUST was placed on United States coins largely because of the increased religious sentiment existing during the Civil War. Secretary of the Treasury Salmon P. Chase received many appeals from devout persons throughout the country, urging that the United States recognize the Deity on United States coins. From Treasury Department records, it appears that the first such appeal came in a letter dated November 13, 1861. It was written to Secretary Chase by Rev. M. R. Watkinson, Minister of the Gospel from Ridleyville, Pennsylvania, and read:

edited - it's a lot easier to just post the link

http://www.treas.gov/education/fact-sheets/currency/in-god-we-trust.shtml

19. bobbeth87

bobbeth87 Coin Collector

Nicely written GDJMSP. However, I will correct one thing. That line IS in our National Anthem, in the fourth verse. Most of the time only the first verse is sung, but the Anthem includes all four verses......and I've sung them many times (both at Church and in my little barbershop group I sing in).

20. Moen1305

Moen1305 Mysticism and Tyrants

It didn't appear on our coins until almost 100 years after the country was founded (1861) and only then during a religious revival brought on by the ravages of one of the most brutal wars in this nation’s history. It didn't even appear on our currency until 1957. People always use the founding fathers as the reason for keeping it on our money but they themselves didn't even put it on our currency/coinage. They were wise enough to know that the separation of church and state was more important than paying homage to the Christian’s God.

21. imswiss

imswiss Junior Member

yes, why take it off?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.