POLL: Do you want a Numismatic Photography Forum?

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Dougmeister, Mar 6, 2015.

?

Would you like a forum dedicated to Numismatic Photography?

1. Yes! Yes! Please... YES!

27.3%
  2. Yes

21.8%
  3. No

34.5%
  4. Meh... don't care either way

14.5%
  5. I never vote in polls or deal in absolutes

1.8%
  1. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Ok, I got the go-ahead to float this out there for everyone.

Do you want a new forum dedicated to taking pictures of our coins, notes, tokens, etc.?

The powers-that-be are not sure if it would be active enough to warrant a separate forum, and I see their point.

Just posting this as a poll so we can see the consensus. Thanks for reading.

I'll get the ball rolling with a few comments:

a) Good to have a place for stickies and FAQs (easily accessible)
    b) Good place to ask questions about techniques, equipment, etc.
    c) Possibly a place to post pics to "show your skills", get feedback, etc.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

I think it could be useful for the reasons you mention. Stickies would be a very useful thing, although, to be devil's advocate, I have certain CT Photography threads bookmarked within my browser.

I also think the PTB are correct that it might not be super active, unless certain members (like me) were consistently active within the new forum. I suppose the main question (for me) would be: Would people actually post pictures there in lieu of a previously existing forum?

I like the idea of stickies and FAQ's - also like the idea of digital imaging-specific contests (like I've seen over at the CS boards, where one person will send a certain coin to multiple people, who will all image that coin to the best of their ability, and then the results are placed online for all to judge/critique.)

I like the idea for rules for critiquing digital imaging, just like I've had in studio art classes. Example: another member clicking the "Like" button might be a one-second boost to the ego, but actually getting into areas like lighting, focus, luster, toning, exposure, etc would be much more useful to the actual production of a quality image.

This may be off topic, but the idea just occurred to me: I wonder what a CT mentoring program would be like?

I was thinking about your idea (separate Digital Imaging forum) but with a Sticky for currently existing digital imagers (i.e., those offering their services or maybe the more experienced?) and I wondered if anything would be gained by having a mentor direct a newcomer to numismatic digital imaging. Perhaps someone might not want to post their beginning "work" on an open forum, but may relish the opportunity for guidance from a more experienced member? Just an idea.

4. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

My first reaction is that I don't need another forum that I feel compelled to visit. The number of photography threads I've seen could easily be handled on existing ones, and a separate forum that is seldom updated with new threads would likely atrophy from non-use.

The time to create a photography forum is when the volume of photography threads on other forums starts to become a nuisance. Meanwhile, as someone who does coin photography for hire, I'll participate in those photography threads I see here and in the US Coin Forum as I'm able, and offer critiques as requested and as appropriate for the current skill level of the person seeking advice.

cpm9ball likes this.
  5. bsowa1029

bsowa1029 Franklin Half Addict

I think that would be a very useful tool

6. Dave M

Dave M Francophiliac

If it does get created, "Digital Imaging" is a more inclusive name, as stldanceartist suggests, since banknotes should be scanned, not photographed; USB microscopes would feel included, etc.

I think a forum for it is a good idea.

krispy and Kasia like this.
  7. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I voted "No" because the people who really need the help will usually post their inadequate photos on one of the other forums, anyway. Also, the people who can afford the better equipment don't really need additional help. So, what is the point?

Chris

8. stldanceartist

stldanceartist Minister of Silly Walks

Chris - as someone who probably has "better equipment" - I'd say that I will always have room for improvement, and will always welcome constructive feedback.

I agree, though, that I wonder if people would continue to post in the forums they know, versus a more "targeted" forum. The whole, "You can lead a horse to water..." thing.

9. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

well speaking for myself, all i have is a USB microscope, so photography help is useless to me, i believe the only people who might benefit would be those with an expensive camera set up who are just starting out, the only reason i might visit that forum would be to look at coin pics...i'll vote "dont care"

10. messydesk

Unsure if you had the sarcasm button pressed when you posted this or not, but in case you didn't, this is equivalent to saying that the people who can afford the most expensive cars are the best drivers.

Kasia, ken454 and Savy like this.
  11. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

It shouldn't matter what the object is, a photography forum is a photography forum. You can find one of those and get help there, from pros.

There is a Gallery and Showcase here on CT. I almost never enter them. An abundance of photos must have some sort of effect on slowing down the entire website. I prefer viewing photos that are on topic in a discussion and in relation to a given thread. Staring at various photos, just because they are presented, doesn't really interest me.

Personally, I would join a general photography forum in search of any help, before I would ever look for a specific coin photography forum.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2015
  12. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I'm thinking in terms of you, Bob, Todd, etc.
    Yeah, I could have chosen my wording a LOT better, and your "horse analogy" is spot on.

Chris

13. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

No.

That is not a neutral "no", but a strong "NO!". The NGC forums have fragmented into many sub-forums by allowing new forum topics to pop up and one of the main things that has accomplished is that many qualified readers/writers do not visit. Also, it seems to me that there are far more ebay threads and guess the grade threads than there are image threads so why don't we add two additional forums while we are at it; one each for ebay and guess the grade.

See what I mean?

14. phankins11

phankins11 Well-Known Member

I think some times technologies like Google Hangouts should be used to do online webinars with Q&A.

Schedule it out a month or so, tell potential attendees what to have on hand, what to expect, and use video conferencing to show everyone what you're doing. You can share files, so pics you just took can be viewed digitally while in the hangout and I believe it could potentially be recorded for folks who would rather watch later.

I dunno, just trying to think out side the box.

15. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I have decided to say yes. I also take part in a photography forum and despair at times that those in the know - I guess professional photographers - who like to sneer at those less able. I don't want that here.

With cointalk I visit those areas that interest me and pick up on occasion something in new posts. I enjoy the photography tips threads on here and often marvel the results some folk get. Coin photography defeats any logic I have and my results are generally borderline dreadful. I'd be prepared to spend on equipment needed if I thought i'd benefit and learn.

What would be the harm in trying a new forum?

16. Tom B

Tom B TomB Everywhere Else

"What would be the harm in trying a new forum?"

My logic for voting no was based somewhat on what I witnessed on the NGC boards. NGC kept adding new sub-forums at the request of users and this had the effect, as far as I could tell, of lessening the participation level in certain forums. After watching this for a while I came to my own conclusion, which could be wrong, that not everyone wants to click on every forum in a menu. The result of this is that some folks with quite a bit of knowledge will not see topics, questions or discussions and their potential input will be missing. Again, this is just based upon what I saw at NGC and, in my opinion, it hurt the quality of their boards.

17. messydesk

TomB's accounting of the NGC boards is exactly why I came to the conclusion I did. In my ideal world, I'd have a forum aggregator that would combine multiple forums from different sites into a single forum so I could see everything at once and be able to categorize and filter according to my criteria. No forum I was interested in would be neglected because I didn't get around to visiting it.

18. tulipone

tulipone Well-Known Member

I am surprised that few votes were cast with this and not sure where it leaves the suggested new forum. Is it going to happen - or no?

19. Jwt708

Jwt708 Well-Known Member

I don't think so...I voted No.

20. Dougmeister

Dougmeister Well-Known Member

Looks to me like it won't happen. From what I've been told, it would have to be pretty significant to sway the Admins to add another forum.

I still think it would be nice to have *some* method of keeping the stickies and FAQ's in one place. I, too, also like the idea of digital imaging-specific contests. And maybe a place where people can post their best images ("Brag Thread").

21. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Apparently there is NO need of improvement in anything you do...BUT for the rest of "us" I feel it would be a useful tool; regardless if it is inactive or not. And for what it's worth...if you vote NO..then just ignore the forum.

Draft saved Draft deleted