Poll: do you like my new flip design?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Feb 15, 2018.

?

How do you like my new coin flip design? (poll is anonymous, you can check up to two options)

1. As good as bacon, will you design one for me?

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Pretty cool.

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  3. Will do the job.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. If you can't say something nice, it's better to say nothing at all.

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Yecchhh.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Umm... it looks like the monogram says "sex."

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

I didn't consider leaving a row of empty slots above a row of 'flipped' coins to hold the attributions and related notes. Nice, too - especially to use as you do - to teach in a chronological storybook way.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2018
    Alegandron likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Thanks for all the help with this, everyone! Here's the latest, which I'm pretty happy with. (Note that most of my coins will have more info on both front & back):

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 1.30.56 PM.jpg

And here's the coin, which hasn't had enough of a presence here!
    Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 1.35.04 PM.jpg

4. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Maybe center "The Severus Alexander Collection" on the back?

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 1.30.56 PM copy.jpg

5. Severus Alexander

Yep, I think you're right. Will change.

6. Severus Alexander

7. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

LaCointessa and Alegandron like this.
  8. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

bing_chinese_character.jpg
    :bag:

chrsmat71, Curtisimo, Bing and 2 others like this.
  9. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    LaCointessa and RAGNAROK like this.
  10. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

I really like this monogram more than your OP, although your OP was larger it was not noticed as much as I tendered to just read the info on the flip and didn't notice the monogram. On this design you read the info and your eyes go straight to the monogram at the bottom.

11. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

RAGNAROK likes this.
  12. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

@Severus Alexander- aside from agreeing with the suggestion that you lighten the background grey in your monogram, I quite like what you've done here, and have been impressed with many other folks' solutions as well.

This is a timely thread, as I only recently came up with a new flip insert myself. It has been challenging. I want something that will pack a lot of info into a very small space (one side of a 1.7" x 1.7" insert for a 2" x 2" standard double-pocket safety flip.)

And I need something that will work "across the board" for all different kinds of coins, both ancient and modern. I started with some of my ancients to see how this would look, as they are more likely to require dense blocks of text.

Below is a 300% screenshot of one such insert. The font in actual size is necessarily tiny (5-point Times New Roman; 4-point only where needed). But I've printed some out and they're readable with my specs on.

I'll have to post a picture of a printed one inside a flip, later.

1VtebGmQfev2i78aJzz0_Tag-Taras-Calabria-drachm-edit2.png N4MrZFrZSua3wJa6OCPq_Taras-Calabria-drachm-050653-coin.jpg

13. lordmarcovan

OK, that one above was not an ideal choice, since it shows an error I later corrected (the word "branch" in "olive branch" ran outside of the cell margins in the reverse description).

Here's another.

All that info fits (if barely) on one side of a 1.7 x 1.7 inch tag! I have found that that is the largest dimension that will still slide inside the pocket of a 2x2 flip. And I use card stock, since regular-weight paper "bows up on you" too easily, as I'm sure many here have discovered.

uT68A0gzQ4e48gJYNWPC_Tag-Thessaly-Pharkadon-hemidrachm.png Kp05QttjTZmIV3ZX1nCo_Thessaly, Pharkadon-hemidrachm.jpg

Last edited: Feb 18, 2018
  14. lordmarcovan

PS- the @Severus Alexander updated version looks very nice.

I like the bullet points with general info on the back. I might adopt and adapt that idea myself, since I've still got the whole back side of these inserts to play with.

I think your new design with the logo and collection name at the bottom is even better.

LaCointessa likes this.
  15. Art Wilkerson

Art Wilkerson Member

I had my tags printed on hard stock and use 1 1/2 x 1 1/2 flips. All together fit it a tray or a 2x2 envelope.

16. Severus Alexander

@lordmarcovan: I'm totally impressed that you were able to fit that much info on the flip, and in such an eye-pleasing manner. Well done, sir! Except there is one serious error on both flips. "Moderate grey toning" (excellent Canadian spelling BTW) and "toned" need to be replaced by "xtra-super-sweet-winna-winna-chick'n-dinna toning deluxe!!!"

TIF and lordmarcovan like this.
  17. lordmarcovan

Thanks. Where's the "Canadian spelling" come into play?

I appreciate your posting this because I've been wanting to brainstorm with others over these flip inserts. You not only beat me to it, but gave me some ideas as well.

I wanted an "across the board" sort of template that could be used for all the coins in my collection and in my tiny sales inventory as well, be they ancient or modern, world or US.

Hence the left-hand columns to categorize the information. This way, as I'm filling out the right-hand column of the template, I am less likely to forget to include some piece of information.

This might prevent future issues like, "Oops! I forgot to record the diameter before having this entombed in plastic!", as seen below.

(Of course ceasing to entomb my coins in plastic slabs in the first place would solve that particular issue, too...)

gGWrLgdXSuavVgoVdrFU_Tag-Macedon-Mercenaries-drachm-edit3.png pT1GI9xlQWqbuseYr82L_Thessaly-Pseudo-Rhodian-drachm-091100-coin-800x500-v3.jpg

18. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

You have eight different field labels (Obverse, Reverse, Composition diameter & weight, etc.) in the above label that are always in the same order and specify the same information. You can free up a lot of space by eliminating these labels and distinguishing the information some other way, via a combination of color, type style (e.g., italics), separators (e.g., dotted lines) since the information is always in the same order. This would allow you possibly to use a bigger font, or include more coin information, rather than just repeating labels that are the same for each coin.

What I mean is that, after viewing a few of these labels, you know that the information is always Obverse, Reverse, Composition, etc. and don't need to have it labeled.

19. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

Grey vs Gray. As far as I know its just Americans who spell it with an 'a'.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  20. lordmarcovan

PS- though it's still a work in progress, I'm happy to email the MS Word document containing my inserts (as seen above) to any of you who'd like to beta-test them, so to speak, and tinker around with them to adapt them to your own purposes.

Something like this could be combined with someone's personal collection logo, along the lines of what @Severus Alexander has done here.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  21. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I have spelled it with an "e" all my life. My wife spells it with an "a". She was brought up in Virginia while I was reared in West (BY God) Virginia. Really only a hop, skip and jump from each other.

Draft saved Draft deleted