Poll: do you like my new flip design?

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Severus Alexander, Feb 15, 2018.

?

How do you like my new coin flip design? (poll is anonymous, you can check up to two options)

1. As good as bacon, will you design one for me?

15 vote(s)
    30.6%
  2. Pretty cool.

27 vote(s)
    55.1%
  3. Will do the job.

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
  4. If you can't say something nice, it's better to say nothing at all.

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  5. Yecchhh.

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  6. Umm... it looks like the monogram says "sex."

6 vote(s)
    12.2%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. RAGNAROK

RAGNAROK Naebody chaws me wi impunitY

Agree!
    Mine:
    simple.png
    :rolleyes::D

LaCointessa, Ryro, Curtisimo and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. IdesOfMarch01

IdesOfMarch01 Well-Known Member

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 12.04.35 AM.jpg

As a logo/trademark, this image is highly distinctive. It would serve you well if you ever become an ancient coin dealer.

The label "monogram" evokes other imagery to me, which is why I commented as I did (earlier).

Last edited: Feb 15, 2018
  4. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Option B, move it to the front (pretty tiny, though...):
    Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 10.00.28 PM.jpg

Option C, ditch the historical info (though in some cases I would sorely miss that reminder... "wait, who was Ghiyath al-Din Tughluq again??"):
    Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 10.33.26 PM.jpg

Note for @Carausius and @TIF: you've browbeaten me into putting some basic provenance info on the tag. :) (Might need a loupe to read it, however. ;))

Option A is of course the original or something very similar (e.g. lighter ghosting & sans-serif font on the back). Which is best?

LaCointessa, Ryro, RAGNAROK and 2 others like this.
  5. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Definitely Option B over Option C for me. And you could play around with the positioning of the logo and collection name (putting it on top, splitting them apart with one on top and one below, using the logo as a backdrop with a low level of opacity, etc).

chrsmat71 and Severus Alexander like this.
  6. Daniel_R6

Daniel_R6 Well-Known Member

Well done. My preference is Option B. I think it's worth keeping the historical info.

Severus Alexander and Justin Lee like this.
  7. TIF

TIF Always learning.

Option D: Like B, but with the collection name and small logo on the other side of the insert. For most coins you'll probably have more room on the "back" side. Plus, at least on the example, you already have two sizes of fonts on the front of the insert. Adding your collection name and logo makes it very busy.

(or, stick with your original design but with the logo very slightly lighter)

8. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

I was thinking the same thing, make it small but on the back.

And "Umm... it looks like the monogram says "sex."" LMAO didn't notice that until you called it out.

Severus Alexander likes this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I think I prefer the logo small on the front with the large and "watermarked" on the back being my second favorite.

I also use the small bottom right approach.
    IMG_9609.JPG

Using the small approach you can also leave the flip "blank" and write in the text yourself if you have a desire to do so. This way your collection is provable from your handwriting for future owners similar to this one from my collection :) I think I will eventually go to this method for all my coins.
    Collector_Ticket.jpg
    P.S.: I also think the logo is "SEX"-y (I couldn't help myself ;))

10. IdesOfMarch01

The feature I really like about option B is the amount of information for someone who is unfamiliar with ancient coins, or that particular coin, and is purchasing coins early in his/her collection, or just perusing your collection. Great for a dealer. The small logo works really well here.

For a personal collection, I'd hybridize option B: use the front as is, and put provenance and other information specific to the coin on the back. Use the small logo and text as in option A on the back. I think it's important to include as much information specific to the coin as possible -- the general information (as in option B) can always be found using Google, but the specific information might be lost if it's not kept with the coin.

11. lrbguy

lrbguy Well-Known Member

It's a neat little monogram. A bit busy, but it's covering a lot of letters. But with a couple of tweaks, slightly repositioning what you already have, you could get it to encode more of the name, if that is of interest to you.

If you move the short center crossbar laterally left to cross the center intersection, and move the "S" laterally right to the adjacent empty bar of the main "X" in such a way that the lower half forms a closed loop with the right half-crossbar, (tail to end so to speak) your monogram would be able to encode all the letters of the full name "SEVERVS ALEXANDER." This arrangement would still maintain symmetry if you retain the proportions you have now.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2018
    Severus Alexander likes this.
  12. Ken Dorney

Ken Dorney Yea, I'm Cool That Way...

I enjoy threads about collection tags as mine are always evolving (and requiring more work and time). My current tags are below, and designed that way for a couple main reasons. I use Abafil trays so my print area is limited to less than 1 1/4 square. I like to add as much information as possible (full descriptions) but the result is often cluttered or I have to reduce the font below the standard 7pt. I only realized recently I didn't leave a tag for just whose collection it is from, so I added my name to the bottom front, cluttering it further:

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 8.06.31 AM.png

Why a green border? I dont know, maybe because I'm Irish, maybe random. But, they look decent overall in the trays:

IMG_1992.jpg

Not to hijack the thread, but I'll go a bit further. Expanded data is kept on a simple Word document, 8 1/2 x 11 format, generally four coins per page (and easily updated and formatted when I add coins). I figure when I get ready to sell my collection I'll have a copy printed and hardbound for my memories (thus in a way they will never be gone). Suggestions are welcome, or a new thread if necessary.

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 8.16.53 AM.png

chrsmat71, TJC, Johndakerftw and 9 others like this.
  13. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Whilst on the subject, does anyone any template they would be willing to share?

14. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Mine is plain, but if you have word, I'd be more than willing to send you a copy. I also use card stock rather than paper.

RAGNAROK and Ryro like this.
  15. IdesOfMarch01

I also like the way you provide some space between the border and text on the first page:

Screen Shot 2018-02-15 at 10.00.28 PM.jpg
    My design tastes are similar to TIF's (shown earlier in this thread) in that I like to use color selectively to isolate different elements of the text:

Screen Shot 2018-02-16 at 9.28.04 AM.png

16. Ryro

Please and thanks. Good best practice with the card stock!

RAGNAROK likes this.
  17. Ryro

PLEASE don't ditch the historical info!:nailbiting:

RAGNAROK and Severus Alexander like this.
  18. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

This looks so good, @TIF. Your system is beautiful, neat and efficient.

Severus Alexander and TIF like this.
  19. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Cool looking; but, @RAGNAROK, what does it mean? Is it Celtic? Looks sort of Asian. I would love to learn what it represents if you have time and it is not a bother.

RAGNAROK likes this.
  20. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

I like your The Severus Alexander Collection(tm)
    logo @Severus Alexander ! Agreed on the smaller logo at the bottom (front and/or back), and also like the concept of a light background watermark type approach also. Dependent on need, you should be flexible and able to use each of those styles.

I do agree with many of the great comments here: have the provenence, past collectors cards/slips/tags/provenence/ etc with them! I believe @TIF uses a bi-fold card in her collection... you would basically have FOUR sides to put attribution, historical info, references, logos, provenance, etc... I am considering that for my collection in the future.

I am approaching 1,000 Ancients, of which 300 or so have not been Albumed / Cataloged yet. In the distant future, I plan to database them, create attribute cards for the flips, and categorize them by Album. However, I am busy with my business that only allows me to be a casual contributor here. :) My Hobby - my diversion from stress.

I presently hand-write my attributions / cards. I plan to put everything into a database (yeah, I have been talking about this for years...) I like @Bing 's spreadsheet, and will probly go that route...

The ALBUM storage I have works well for me. Once I get myself to a place of printing my database info to the attribution cards, perhaps I will create an Alegandron(tm) logo.

My layout is designed to be viewed by page, and also be able to pull the flip, remove the coin (or attribute cards) so that it can be held and viewed. I want to encourage holding the coins as well as see them in a logical presentation. I LOVE trays. LOL, REGRETFULLY, I am terrified of it being upset by ME or by younger kids enjoying the coins.

My goal is to have them virtually in a story-book format so that I can teach my Grandkids, and show folks as requested. If not, then I would enjoy them with the Albums focused by Historical Era's, etc. (Actually, the Album pages hold the Flip as "open" in a 2"x4" [5cm x 10cm] format...)

upload_2018-2-16_12-32-29.png
    upload_2018-2-16_12-32-56.png
    upload_2018-2-16_12-33-19.png

21. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

A very cool idea, thanks, I had fun playing around with it. I can't quite make it look natural enough, or fit in the "N." Feel free to post or message me a drawing, though!

Ken, you can hijack my threads anytime with mouth-watering trays like that!! :wideyed:

Caesar_Augustus and Ryro like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted