[Poll] #7 panzerman vs #10 Ancient Aussie (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 4, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 11, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#7 panzerman)

40 vote(s)
    83.3%
  2. Value for money (#7 panzerman)

11 vote(s)
    22.9%
  3. Historical or numismatic interest (#7 panzerman)

5 vote(s)
    10.4%
  4. Eye appeal (#10 Ancient Aussie)

8 vote(s)
    16.7%
  5. Value for money (#10 Ancient Aussie)

33 vote(s)
    68.8%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#10 Ancient Aussie)

42 vote(s)
    87.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

Tough one, but I prefer @panzerman's entry, mainly because I love coins of the Sasanians, Kushans, and Kushno-Sasanians. Not to mention the Sasano-Kushans, the Kusasa-Sakushas, and the Banana-nana-fofana-fee-fi-foshanas :)

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. stevex6

stevex6 Random Mayhem

Ummm, if I happen to win => then I will donate all of my prize money to Sallent, so he can donate it to your charity (we're a team)

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

sallentx6

4. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

o yeah/ for me then/ it is greeny

panzerman and Ancient Aussie like this.
  5. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Man I struggled with the historical/numismatic interest on this one. At first I almost had to give it to Caesar, but the overthrow of the Kushans by the Sassanids was also a major change in world history. Add in Panzer's coin not only has an historical interest, but also a numismatic interest with the combining of Sassanid and Kushan styles, I ultimately had to put my vote in for the gold.

6. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

This is tough. Both appeal in their own ways. Anyway, here is my favorite JC. Maybe I should have played it in my round.
    Julius Caesar 2.jpg

Andres2, icerain, panzerman and 10 others like this.
  7. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

For some reason JC seems to have an advantage upon other characters in those games, so far ! :)

That gold dinar is really somethin' !!

Good luck to both contestants
    Q

8. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Yes I would have played that although your galley is good, I love this coin.

Curtisimo and panzerman like this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

@panzerman's coin got me interested in doing some research into the Kushano-Sasanian kingdom. When you read through a scholarly book/article and the only visuals are plates of the coin types it reminds you how important numismatics is to the study of history. I am linking to a cool article I found in case you guys/gals are interested.

http://en.unesco.org/silkroad/sites/silkroad/files/knowledge-bank-article/vol_III silk road_the kushano-sasanian kingdom.pdf

Picture1.png
    Kushan territory before and after the Sassanian conquest.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  10. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

After being on CT for a while many of us know a lot of the highlights in each other's collections. I suspect many of us were surprised at some of the coins selected for this use because we recall that person owning a coin we like better.

Paul M., rrdenarius and panzerman like this.
  11. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

In truth, the coin I selected was my most recent purchase and I was being lazy. I had just done the research on the coin and had the write-up ready for my catalog. Most CTers know my better coins which I have had for some time, and I was under the impression that the coin selected should be a recent purchase. Besides, I think I got this MA coin at a reasonable price. So, there you have it. Wait until the next time.

Paul M., Mikey Zee, panzerman and 2 others like this.
  12. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Yeah I decided not to hold people to the recent purchase piece of the game if they submitted an older one since the rules changed and I figured people might want to use some of their older pieces to counter the advantage I thought higher value ones would have (turns out that advantage hasn't really materialized).

...Plus I'll confess I was interested to see what people would play without restrictions. Your MA is awesome Bing and a very good value.

Paul M., Ancient Aussie and panzerman like this.
  13. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still a few hours left for anyone to cast a last minute vote if they wish! :)

Paul M. and panzerman like this.
  14. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

This one was a really fun match to watch and vote on. Thank you to both of the players for sharing your amazing coins with us.

Results:
    @Ancient Aussie: 83 (WINNER)
    @panzerman: 56

The voters were definitely impressed with panzerman's flawless Dinar but the historical interest and great value were enough to decide this round in favor of Ancient Aussie's cool Julius Caesar.

Looking forward to seeing AA go up against gsimonel in tomorrow's match!

Paul M., panzerman and Alegandron like this.
  15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

Congrats to Ancient Aussie/ well done! I wish you success in second round:happy:

16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Thanks, I think I may have been a bit lucky against you.....:rolleyes:

Curtisimo, Paul M. and panzerman like this.
  17. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Congrats to @Ancient Aussie.
    Kudos to @panzerman !
    It proves that it's not just about wonderful coins !
    One has to take in consideration the other factors

Q

Curtisimo, Paul M. and Ancient Aussie like this.
  18. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

Value for money was the tough one here for me. I voted panzerman for eye appeal, because that coin is just insanely beautiful and detailed. Historical/numismatic interest had to go to Ancient Aussie, because JC. :) It didn't hurt that it commemorated one of his victories over Pompey, either.

But, I found it hard to even compare the two coins on value/money. One being gold, the other bronze; one costing 5x as much as the other; one being absolutely FDC, the other being a very nice VF; I finally had to give the nod to Ancient Aussie because, while I might be able to find another coin like panzerman's with some patience, I highly doubt I could find 2 as nice as Ancient Aussie's, much less 5.

Draft saved Draft deleted