[Poll] #5 zumbly vs #12 FitzNigel (round 1) CIT 2017

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Curtisimo, Apr 2, 2017.

?

Please vote on the coin you think wins in each of the following categories. 3 votes per voter

Poll closed Apr 9, 2017.
  1. Eye appeal (#5 zumbly)

22 vote(s)
    41.5%
  2. Eye appeal (#12 FitzNigel)

32 vote(s)
    60.4%
  3. Value for money (#5 zumbly)

32 vote(s)
    60.4%
  4. Value for money (#12 FitzNigel)

18 vote(s)
    34.0%
  5. Historical or numismatic interest (#5 zumbly)

39 vote(s)
    73.6%
  6. Historical or numismatic interest (#12 FitzNigel)

13 vote(s)
    24.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. icerain

icerain Mastir spellyr

I like both Byzantine and Medieval coins but I slightly prefer Byzantine. Factor in its a Heraclius silver, makes it a lot more appealing to me. Not saying the William Denier is not good, it looks awesome too.

Curtisimo likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Smojo

Smojo dreamliner

I'm with you @Bing I tried some byzantine coins and only have 1 now. Have no desire to collect them.
    I like some mideval coins but not sure I will ever seriously pursue them.
    That said, I do my best to vote for the coin as laid out for this contest and not how I feel personally.
    I hope that makes sense. :blackeye:

Curtisimo likes this.
  4. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Good on you Smojo, that's how I feel to.

5. Paul M.

Paul M. Well-Known Member

I agree... if @stevex6 busts out his Antoninus Pius Taurus drachm, I think I'm going to be compelled to vote for it no matter what. :p

This one has been the toughest choice of the ones I've done so far. It's usually easy for me to pick a clear winner in each category (*e.g.* how do you beat a $3 EF Probus antonianinus on value for money?!?), but these two coins really both do it for me in different ways.

Curtisimo likes this.
  6. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

Perhaps that is why some of us don't care for the competitive by price idea and perhaps why the rules had to be changed to comply with CT rules. There are may $3 coins that are worth less than $3 but there are also gold coins that are worth melt. If you had a gold coin with numismatic value of $1000, would you melt it when spot hit $1001?

Paul M. and Curtisimo like this.
  7. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

I understand what you mean about the intrinsic value vs numismatic value being an interesting dynamic for the different metals and different coins. Totally agree.

I wasn't completely following you on your competitive by price comment though. Are you saying you didn't care for the $100 limit before the mods changed it or that you don't care for the current method of voting on value for money? Both have their downsides no doubt so I am just curious to understand your thoughts.

8. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

I see evaluation of the price category as a two-step process. First, I want to have a sense if the price paid for a coin represents good value against what others of the same type or class have brought in other sales. Yes, this does involve me searching out hammer prices of Kushano-Sasanian gold dinars which I have zero experience with, but that's part of the fun. After I make an assessment of the price paid for both coins seperately, I weigh them against each other, decide which I feel was a better deal and vote accordingly. I realise of course not everyone votes this category this way, but in the absence of a guideline, I settled on this method. In this category I see the battle as being between the coiners rather than the coin. The one who nabbed the better deal wins!

Paul M. and Curtisimo like this.
  9. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

There is still a few hours left on this poll for anyone who would like to cast a last minute vote and hasn't already done so. Well played by both members :)

10. Curtisimo

Curtisimo the Great(ish)

Hello everyone! This was a great match-up and I thank both of the participants for playing :) below are the final results:

Results:
    @zumbly: 93 (WINNER)
    @FitzNigel: 63

The voters liked the Eye Appeal of FitzNiglel's coin but good numbers in the Value for Money and Interest categories were enough to decide the match in favor of zumbly! Thanks again to both of you!

Alegandron and Cucumbor like this.
  11. FitzNigel

FitzNigel Medievalist

Congrats @zumbly ! Well deserved!

ro1974, Ancient Aussie, Orfew and 2 others like this.
  12. ro1974

ro1974 Well-Known Member

both are great coins, was for me to hard

Alegandron, panzerman and Curtisimo like this.
  13. zumbly

zumbly Ha'ina 'ia mai ana ka puana

Good game, @FitzNigel! I enjoyed your coin and our matchup :).

Looking forward (with some anxiety) to Round 2!

14. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

Mine - get them while its hot...
    HHCHexagram.jpg

You might also want to know this coin type was also the oldest coin found in a viking coin hoard. Google it.

15. panzerman

panzerman Well-Known Member

My first "ancient" coin was a Byzantine AV Solidus Justinian I. It was $100 for a mint state example from NFA in 1985....
    Now, I like all ancient coinage/ plus all worldwide.

Alegandron and Ancientnoob like this.
  16. Ancient Aussie

Ancient Aussie Well-Known Member

Nice buy, was that from Vcoins?

Ancientnoob likes this.
  17. Ancientnoob

Ancientnoob Money Changer

ebay....many moons ago.

Alegandron and Ancient Aussie like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted