political & legal scenes on ancient coins

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Marsman, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

I'm always very interested in reverses that show important scenes from ancient times. This type illustrates the principle of provocatio, a procedure by which a citizen had the right to 'appeal to the people' against the decision of a magistrate which he considered to represent an abuse of official power. An important legal action for Roman citizens against injustice. Later on in history, when the emperors arrived, this appeal to the people was replaced by 'appellatio ad Caesarem', appeal to the emperor.

It's a wonderful scene on this reverse with this important military figure, raising his hand above a citizen. Unfortunately on my coin the letters PROVOCO in exergue are no longer visible, but nonetheless a fine example of this type :).

Of course I'm very interested in other coins, showing a legal and/or political scene....

Provoco.jpg

P. Procius Laeca, denarius
    3,70 g. 18 mm.
    Obv. Helmeted head of Roma right. X below chin, ROMA above, P LAECA behind.
    Rev. Military figure standing left, his right hand raised, facing togate citizen standing right, gesturing with right hand, attendant standing left behind military figure holding three rods, PROVOCO in exergue.
    Crawford 301/1; Sear 178

R*L, Parthicus, panzerman and 17 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mat

Mat Ancient Coincoholic

[​IMG]
    P. Licinia Nerva (113-112 B.C.)
    AR Denarius
    O: Helmeted bust of Roma left, holding shield and spear over shoulder; crescent above, mark of value to left.
    R: Three citizens voting on comitium: one voter receives ballot from attendant below, another voter places ballot in cista; [P] on tablet above bar.
    Rome Mint
    17mm
    3.3g
    Crawford 292/1, Sydenham 548; Licinia 7

4. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

Ti Veturius.jpg
    TI VETURIUS ROMAN REPUBLIC; GENS VETURIA
    AR Denarius
    OBVERSE: Helmeted bust of Mars right
    REVERSE: Youth kneeling l., between two warriors who touch with their swords a pig which he holds., ROMA above
    Struck at Rome 137 BC
    3.7g, 18mm
    Cr.234/1; RSC Veturia 1

5. Cucumbor

Cucumbor Well-Known Member

Almost everything on roman coins reverses is somewhat political, I guess, even though sometimes more than others

[​IMG]
    L. Cassius Longinus, Denarius Rome mint, 63 BC
    Veiled bust of Vesta left. Control mark L below chin
    LONGIN IIIV, togate citizen standing left, voting
    3.93 gr
    Ref : RCV # 364, RSC, Cassia # 10, Crawford # 413/1, Sydenham # 935

Q

6. Ryro

Ryro Trying to remove supporter status

Beautiful coins! My feelings about politics, and politicians in particular, are very well explained with the reverse of this fouree:
    ACD7FCCA-481A-42A1-B97F-AFEB533598E0.jpeg
    L. Mussidius Longus

42 BC. RomeFoureé Denarius AR16mm.,3,02g. Radiate and draped bust of Sol facing slightly right / The shrine of Venus Cloacina; a low circular platform surmounted by two statues of the goddess, each resting right hand on cippus, the platform inscribed CLOAC and ornamented with trellis-pattern balustrade, with flight of steps and portico on left; L•MVSSIDIVS•LONGVS around above. nearly very fineCrawford 494/43b. Former Savoca

7. brandon spiegel

brandon spiegel Brandon Spiegel

This is very interesting, thank you for the great article!

8. Alegandron

Alegandron "ΤΩΙ ΚΡΑΤΙΣΤΩΙ..." ΜΕΓΑΣ ΑΛΕΞΑΝΔΡΟΣ, June 323 BCE

Oath Scene of the Marsic Confederacy

upload_2019-3-16_14-56-16.png
    upload_2019-3-16_14-56-42.png
    Marsic Confederation / Italian Allies
    Social War 90-88 BCE
    AR Denarius
    19x17.9mm, 3.7g
    Anonymous Issue, Corfinium Mint
    Obv: Italia head, l, ITALIA behind
    Rev: Oath-taking scene with eight warriors, four on each side, pointing their swords towards a sacrificial pig, which is held by an attendant kneeling at the foot of a standard.
    Comment: The reverse is based on the gold Stater and Half-Stater from the Second Punic War
    Ref: Sear 227; SYD 621

9. Severus Alexander

Severus Alexander find me at NumisForums

Shhhh!! I haven't got my PROVOCO yet! :shifty:;)

The coin below was issued to mark the passage of the Marius/Saturninus law subsidizing grain for the people of Rome. AD FRVmentum EMVndum = "for buying grain". The seated figures represent the issuers, who were the quaestor urbanus and the quaestor ostiensis, and the issue was for purchasing the grain.

Screen Shot 2019-03-16 at 12.24.29 PM.jpg
    L. Calpurnius Piso/Q. Servilius Caepio, denarius, issued 100 BCE

10. Bing

Bing Illegitimi non carborundum Supporter

I. MINUCIUS C.F. AUGURINUS.jpg
    I. MINUCIUS C.F. AUGURINUS
    AR DENARIUS
    OBVERSE: Head of Roma right, star behind
    REVERSE: TI MINVCI C F on left, RO-MA above, AVGVRINI on right; 2 togate figures, one holding a simpulum, the other a lituus, standing by statue on column, grain ears on either side of the column
    Rome, 134 BC
    3.86g, 17mm
    Cr243/1, Syd 494, Minucia 9

11. Marsman

Marsman Well-Known Member

Very nice and interesting coins :)

Here is my 'voting coin'.

Licinius Nerva.jpg
    P. Licinius Nerva, denarius.
    113-112 BC, Rome.
    Obv. Helmeted bust of Roma to left, with spear and shield.
    Rev. P NERVA, voting scene, three citizens voting in the comitium. One voter casts his vote to right, to left another receives his from an attendant.
    Crawford 292/1, Sydenham 548, RSC 169, Licinia 7.

And a nice drawing of this fascinating scene......

votingcoin_drawing.jpg

12. Sulla80

Sulla80 Well-Known Member

A nice post and a very interesting coin @Marsman, here's my variant of the coin shown by @Cucumbor. The control marks, on the obverse, below Vesta’s chin, come in C, A, S, I, and L - these are the letters needed to spell the money's name.

L Cassius Longinus.jpg
    L. Cassius Longinus, AR Denarius, 60 BC, Rome
    Obv: Veiled and draped bust of Vesta left; below chin, S; behind, kylix.
    Rev: Reverse LONGIN IIIV (IIIV == triumvir), male figure standing left, dropping tablet inscribed V ("vti rogas" or "vote for" vs. "antiqvo" or "vote against") into cista
    Size: 3.96g 19.9mm
    Ref: Crawford 413/1; Sydenham 935; Cassia 10

Why would the moneyer be so cryptic with his name? It could be because an L. Cassius Longinus (not the one of the coin above) was a notorious member of the Catiline conspiracy, assigned the task of burning down the city of Rome.
    Source: Michael Harlan, Roman Republican Moneyers and Their Coins

Last edited: Apr 12, 2019
    Marsman, Deacon Ray, Cucumbor and 5 others like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted