Poissble Yaroslav Mudry Ukraine coin "help needed"

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by weryon, May 12, 2015.

1. weryon

weryon World traveler - In Thailand

Hi everyone,

I have been living in Asia for some time now and it resulted in my coin collecting coming to a near freeze. There are a lot of fakes in the markets here and collectors have no problem "testing" you. Recently I posted that I was seeking out reputable coin dealers in the city and got the name of a few but I also received a PM from another expat stating that he has the following coin:

He replied: Silver coint 19century, Yaroslav Mudry. Ukraine

His pictures:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I don't know anything about this coin and all my old books and materials are in Canada. Could anyone shine this a little light on what I'm looking here and what would you be ready to pay for such a piece. Thanks for your time !

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. gxseries

gxseries Coin Collector

I rather not find out. Such coins are actually extremely rare and unless you know it inside out, I wouldn't want to waste money on it. The chances of finding scarce coins in street markets especially Asia / Eastern Europe are long gone.

4. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

looks like Byzantine (300-1400 AD) ? let the pros here tell you.

5. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

i don't know what that it is, it is not byzantine however.

6. Revi

Revi Mildly numismatic

I would buy it if it's cheap. It's a really nice coin, so you can't go too wrong if the price is less than $50 or so.

7. weryon

I don't want to pay more than 24$ lets see how this pans out. I will have to wait on these papers he is fetching.

8. derkerlegand

derkerlegand Well-Known Member

Maybe Armenia or Georgia?

9. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

I would say: it's modern fake of an old silver coin of Yaroslav. But not from Ukraine. It was Kievan Rus'.

10. weryon

Why do you believe it to be a modern fake?

11. Siberian Man

It seems to me that the coin is made by a moulding (cast) method. But in fact it were hammered coins.

12. weryon

I will have to go inspect it in person to determine if it's a cast. I had the same impression from the get go.

13. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Man do I miss James Gandolfini... Your avatar brought back good memories from watching that show which ran for a total of 86 episodes over six seasons if memory serves me correct. Two of his very last movies he starred in was "Enough Said" and "Drop" two of his BEST acting performances. If you want to see some outstanding acting these picks will not dissapoint you. He will be sorely missed. From what I hear he hated playing the violent parts in "The Sopranos" as he was the complete opposite in real life; being kind considerate and gentle. Good Rest his soul.

14. weryon

Yeah , it's been my avatar since I joined the forum in 2009 ,I Believe.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

To clarify Kievan Rus was the basis for modern state of Ukraine and Russia. What is now Ukraine was controlled by Kievan Rus, Ottoman Empire, Byzantine Empire, Polish Lithuanian commonwealth and then Russian Empire beginning in 17th century. Hetman Bogdan Kheminitsky sought protection from the Ottoman Empire and pursued a treaty giving Russia sovereignty in what is now Ukraine.

16. Siberian Man

As I know Byzantine Empire never controlled the territory of modern Ukraine and Russia. During a short period Byzantines controlled southern coast of Crimea only. And about Hetman Bogdan Khmelnitsky: he sought protection not from Ottoman Empire but from Poland (it was the time of the Polish-Ukrainian War 1648-1654).

Draft saved Draft deleted