Pocket change

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Jimm, Dec 25, 2019.

1. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Once a week I go through my change that I gather throughout the week this is what I found

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. alurid

alurid Well-Known Member

Nice find. That many Wheat Cents in one week seems a bit unusual. You didn't say how much change you collected in one week.
    Maybe someone released some old ones back into the wild in your area.

4. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

If you're getting that as pocket change in a week please tell me where you live and shop. :)

Kevin Mader, ripple and Inspector43 like this.
  5. LaCointessa

LaCointessa Well-Known Member

Since I was looking, I would have liked to see the reverses. Next time! :-D

Congratulations @Jimm !!

ripple and Randy Abercrombie like this.
  6. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

So sorry everyone I forgot to do the reverse. I'll do it after this. My pocket change sometimes consist of friends giving me what they have laying around also so it's hard to pinpoint where it came from. The last pile I went thru had 2 Indian Head pennies in it. 1880, 1900 I think. I said the same thing to myself.....I said, self what are the chances of finding cool coins this way. But lo and behold. This is what I got. So woop woop for me. As I stated as a rookie, I know I'm still a rookie, that I don't collect coins but sell em. I'm a 100% service connected marine veteran who served 22 yrs in the corps. This is my therapy. Lol. So tnks all on the advice. I'll continue to find coins or they find me.

ripple and LaCointessa like this.
  7. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Okay in all seriousness what are these things worth

8. LaCointessa

I will always be a newbie rookie, me thinks. I do not care.. i just love the learning and looking and enjoying!

Again, like beauty.. “worth” is in the eye of the beholder. There are various types of value or worth. If you have a series and lack one of these.. that will (may) be valuable to you where it will not be to me because I have 3 of them in more or less the same condition (although, I gotta say that your coins look pristine to me. I really like those coins you got there). But, boil it all down, in terms of moolah value, it depends on why an how much a buyer will pay to own it. Also, naturally, it depends on how many were minted.

But what if one of your coins has some anomaly that makes it desirable to collectors? Would you be interested to examine each coin carefully and read up these things.

There are books and websites that show you the value of US cents and other denominations. You can check the following for starters.

https://whitman.com/redbook

https://lincolncent.com/

Have fun!

Last edited: Dec 26, 2019
    ripple likes this.
  9. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Again tnks. Here's the reverse of the pennies...from left to right...1910,1932,1936,1942. Bottom row the 1945s

Attached Files:

ripple likes this.
  10. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Attached Files:

LaCointessa and ripple like this.
  11. ripple

ripple Active Member

Searching pocket change is part of the fun. I always break a dollar to cover a penny or 2 at the store and will reply”no thanks, I had to bum a penny here yesterday” or something if a clerk tries to be nice and cover it. I’ve read somewhere, a wheat found is a wheat earned. Nice find OP.

dwhiz, Kevin Mader and LaCointessa like this.
  12. LaCointessa

Meeeee toooooo!

@Jimm - Thank you for posting the reverses of your coins. The condition/wear of the reverse of a coin could affect the monetary value of it. The reverses of your coins are not in as beautiful condition as the obverses you showed us. That aside, I may see a little something like a bump on the top row, second from our right, coin. If it doesn't come off, it might be a die break - which, in my humble opinion, would make the coin a keeper. Others with experience and expertise may weigh in when they get a chance or if I have written something that is not accurate.

I betcha some collector was purging an overflowing collection of ”wheaties”. ... Something I MUST do in 2020.

ripple likes this.
  13. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

Quality and rarity (of various factors) dictate "worth."

But, if you have even been to a car show does the rotted, rusted out car get tops awards compared to the pristine looking one? nope. You need to think that way with coins too. Your cents are all corroded and worn. The guys here who know these years and know them in relation to the condition would know more but still .. they don't look very good to me.

you can peruse this website too
    https://www.usacoinbook.com/coins/small-cents/lincoln-wheat-cent/

LaCointessa likes this.
  14. Burton Strauss III

Burton Strauss III Brother can you spare a trime? Supporter

What are they worth? Truthfully not much. Bulk circulated wheat cents sell for 3-5 cents each.

Fun of finding them? A lot more...

AND, as a sanity clause - something that you can do for a few minutes and feel OK putting it down for later? Priceless...

dwhiz, LaCointessa and ripple like this.
  15. Jeffjay

Jeffjay Well-Known Member

Only a collector understands the rush of finding a 100 year old coin in circulation.

dwhiz, Burton Strauss III and ripple like this.
  16. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

17. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

Does a Bonner count. Lol. Got to admit it, ur correct

18. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

I don't know if I can do this mixing subjects but if I'm wrong let me know I got here two dimes, 1991p and196dy something. Maybe 1969. I stopped getting excited tnking I found the retirement coin, oh wait I'm retired already lol anyway these coins seem to have a few errors. The 1969 seems to have a higher rim then the 1991 and the 91 seems a tad off center the dates and lettering look to be, let's just say different I hate using the word double die cuz I don't like to be wrong anymore I know I know read study read study but that's what you guys are for hahaha oh sorry the reverse got the same things I was talking about will you coin people take a look at it and educate me further thanks All Happy New year

Attached Files:

19. ripple

ripple Active Member

@Jimm, you may have better luck with your own thread on this. I’m interested to see what the knowledgeable folks say myself.

20. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

@Jimm Yes, please start your own thread as you'll get much better responses.

ripple likes this.
  21. Jimm

Jimm Active Member

I thought so. Just wanted to make sure...tnks. now let's see who gonna rip me a new one

Draft saved Draft deleted