Pocket change nickel "woody"

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Jersey magic man, Feb 2, 2018.

1. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I received this nickel in change the other day. Can you call a nickel a woody or is that reserved for "copper" coins? Also, I think I see a wee clip at 9:00 on the reverse, but doesn't match up on the obverse. Verification anyone?

woody nickel.jpg woody nickel 2.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. ken454

ken454 Well-Known Member

yes u can have a "woody" nickel, its an improper alloy mix and i suspect your clip might just be damage as it looks like just the rim was knocked off and i see no sign of blakesley effect across from it, i'm pretty sure there would be some sign of it even on that small of a clip...

4. lordmarcovan

lordmarcovan Eclectic & Eccentric Moderator

Yep. A "woody" indeed, from the same thing that causes that effect on cents. (Improper alloy mix, as mentioned by @ken454.)

Neat find! No, you're not gonna get rich off of it, but you probably knew that.

That's a cool change find, regardless. That sucker's probably been circulating for all 79 years, and is now happy that you found it and kept it to give it a comfortable retirement from its long career. :)

5. Jersey magic man

Jersey magic man Supporter! Supporter

I agree that it needs to retire to my woody retirement home where it can rest until my kids put it back into circulation when I kick.

Draft saved Draft deleted