Pocket change finds......

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Hubb5656, Mar 31, 2014.

1. Hubb5656

Hubb5656 New Member

image.jpg I've only been collecting for less than a year. My wife and I both check every piece of change in our pockets for a pocket change jewel. Do the rest of you obsess over your pocket change, as I do? If so, what are some of your recent finds? My wife brought this home to me yesterday.....

jello, Steverino, austyn and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Hey, cool, been ages since I have found anything like that.

4. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

Capital find! :)

spirityoda likes this.
  5. Hubb5656

Hubb5656 New Member

I thought it was neat, too. My wife deals with a lot of currency on a day to day basis and this is the third silver Washington she has found over the last 6 months.

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Don't give up your day job. : - )

Hubb5656 likes this.
  7. Hubb5656

Hubb5656 New Member

Haha!

8. green18

Shoot. I don't think I've found any silver in the pocket change in the last decade........

josh's coins and Hubb5656 like this.
  9. Hubb5656

Hubb5656 New Member

Really?? I don't find it very often, but every now and then something pops up. Last week I found a 1943 War Nickel.

10. green18

Youse guys is lucky.......:)

spirityoda likes this.
  11. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I have to go through the change jar before my wife rolls change to fill my albums etc. Drives her crazy but I did get a 1940 quarter last year.

Hubb5656 likes this.
  12. Hubb5656

Hubb5656 New Member

Nice!

13. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Silver quarters are no small accomplishment to find in circulation, better chance of finding a silver dime or half dollar from personal experience. I don't bother even roll searching, when I have searched huge amounts like $1500 I might turn up a mere one for all my effort. Where as with dimes I might find 8-10 of them.

14. Yankee42

Yankee42 Well-Known Member

I totally agree. I used to ask the tellers if they had any rolled half dollars but the well ran dry. Plus it's not worth the effort. If I want junk silver I go to my LCS or haggle with the guy at the flea market.

15. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

My cute, young tellers are a lot lot nicer to me. Of course I have them all bought off. I am making them all fat on sweets, while I get the silver and old goodies.

16. Soiled

Soiled Everyone has coin Avatars. I chose space.

Found a 1967 Kennedy half once. That's about it so far.

17. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

18. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

I always check my change as soon as it is handed to me. Found a few wheat cents last week.

19. josh's coins

josh's coins Well-Known Member

Same here! mostly just wheat cents and sometimes buffalo nickels. I do have an interesting story. it was last november and I was meeting a guy in public to buy 29 mercury dimes. I asked him how he got the coins and he told me that he had been given them by some older fellow who was using it as spare change to pay for a gallon of gas!

20. torontokuba

torontokuba Thread Crapper & Hijacker, TP please.

mlov43 and dwhiz like this.
  21. scottishmoney

scottishmoney Buh bye

Back ca. 1995 or 1996 I got a $2 coin in change that apparently someone had popped the centre out of and placed it back in with the bear side insert on the obverse of the outer shell. I vaguely remember that at the time people were freezing the coins, popping the centres out and replacing them. It wasn't enough of a novelty, and I turned around and spent it.

Draft saved Draft deleted