Pocket Change Finds; Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Kevin Mader, Jan 31, 2020.

?

Should this thread be created to capture finds from change and leave CRH threads separate?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2020.
  1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
  1. XRP

XRP New Member

Hoky77 likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

So, I've been in the process of doing some Spring Cleaning and clearing out some clutter under my desk. I've been accumulating change and using this to replace my CRH events, trying to pay in cash to generate the finds. I hadn't realized it, but I had accumulated around $30 in Cents. I was chatting with one of our fellow coin enthusiasts who wasn't having much luck finding anything in a box of mixed cents. This surprised me since in my CRH experience, finding minor DDOs/DDRs and RPMs was a likely event. I gave her a couple target years and encouraged her to sort those out individually to be sure not to overlook anything. I haven't heard back on the details. It took me about 3 weeks to sort through these, spending a few hours here and there. Although I had picked through this change and found a few more obvious finds, some of which were posted here over the months, here is a tally of what I found (out of approx. 3000 cents):

DDOs- 19
    All were minor in nature and several were not listed at any of the sites (2017 was the most popular year accounting for 11)

DDRs- 8
    All were minor in nature and several were not listed at any of the sites (2002-2007 extra column varieties accounting for 6)

RPMs- 6
    3 were from the 60s and 3 from the 80s. Two from 1982 were not listed at any of the sites (minor split serifs, upper serifs)

Other- 17
    Mostly clashes, a couple cracked skulls, and some odd chip on a pair of 2019 LSCs

The thing I most noted was that the Zincolns were deteriorating at an unexpected rate. Just sitting in a couple of plastic containers, the verdigris and hydrozincite were attacking the coins...and contaminating others in the container. I soaked a number of the coins to remove encrustations in an effort to identify what I had. This experience will force me to rethink my approach to getting coins identified and put into flips. Had I done the search sooner...or more thorough as I collected the change...I might have preserved them better. So, a bit of disappointment there.

I still have a bunch of Nickels and Dimes to go through...so more data to post going forward. I've had better luck with finding minor varieties with cents though, but who knows.

Bottomline: There is plenty to cull out of your pocket change if you have the patience and interest to identify them.

P.S. - I should note that I also built out a few more modern rolls of cents for the Roll Collection, 2020 and 2021, but also finished up rolls for another 3 years or so. Mainly AU/BU keepers.

halvessearcher likes this.
  4. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Not by all of us. ;)

Kevin Mader likes this.
  5. Kevin Mader

Indeed, Jeff. I couldn’t believe all these black specs on the surfaces of the coins. Almost like leaching of salts to the surface, sometimes coming off with acetone. Sometimes not. And mixed with other surface contaminants to obscure or damage the surface. I also saw widespread blistering. It is what it is, I suppose, but I’m going to adopt a new approach.

6. Kevin Mader

7. Kevin Mader

@CaptainMac snagged a West Point find from the wild - First West Point Quarter Find! | Coin Talk

Mac - if you go back a page, you'll see others are waiting for their first finds. I've snagged 3 or 4 from my pocket change as I don't CRH Quarters (or anything else lately). Congrats on the find after a wait!!

halvessearcher and CaptainMac like this.
  8. Kevin Mader

Occasionally the pocket find is in paper currency. Aside from the Star Note I shared a while back, there are some fun serial number sequences to find. Almost @1stSgt22 - So close to a repeater! | Coin Talk. Fun find anyway!!

1stSgt22 likes this.
  9. Rambutan52

Rambutan52 Well-Known Member

I recently completed a trip to California to visit my daughter and family for the first time in two plus years. Awaiting for me was a large stash of pocket change with over 2000 pennies, 200 nickels, 400 dimes, and 400 quarters. The notable finds were centered around Lincoln wheats. Pics of each obverse are shown.

41SObverse.jpg 44Obverse.jpg 47DObverse.jpg 47sObverse.jpg 56DObverse.jpg 1956DObverse.jpg 58DObverse.jpg

JPD3, Kevin Mader and halvessearcher like this.
  10. Kevin Mader

Nice! That must have been a fun search. Would have been nice to catch some silver though. Thanks for sharing!! And good luck on the hunt!

11. Rambutan52

Happy to share. Honorable mention finds were four dollar coins (3 Sacagawea, 1 1999 SBA), two low mintage ATB quarters (AZ, CA) and one 2009 P nickel.

Kevin Mader likes this.
  12. Kevin Mader

The 2009 nickel is a fun one to catch in change. It's only happened a few times...only twice when it came to 2009 P dimes. Fairly infrequent events! I cashed in the change I was able to accumulate since around Christmas time. Almost $500 in change. I have a bunch of nickels to organize at this point and dimes. I know I have a few DDRs in the nickels...just lacking the time to dive in and attribute them.

13. Rambutan52

I hardly pay for items in cash at stores. Today though at my local pharmacy I maxed out on my wellness card balance. This necessitated me to pay the $1.81 balance in cash. My 19 cents in change consisted of one dime and lucky for me it was a low mintage 2009-D. What are the odds in getting this baby? Actually I got another one less than a year ago.

2009D.jpg

Kevin Mader and halvessearcher like this.
  14. Kevin Mader

I’m always working the change. I took back a load I had accumulated since the start of the year. About $400. And a few finds as I’ve posted. I still have some nickels to attribute from that group but working on the next load of change. It might rain tomorrow. If so, I’ll dive in.

2009 D - I may have found 2 here on the east coast. They don’t pop up in change all that often as you know. Fun find!

Rambutan52 likes this.
  15. Cheech9712

Cheech9712 Every thing is a guess

I have never found a 2009 dime. Some day

Rambutan52 and Kevin Mader like this.
  16. Kevin Mader

Caught this one this morning -

C21BBA2C-E825-457C-851C-391570A1D0B5.jpeg 98F879A3-06FD-4C07-AA4A-293739D7A62D.jpeg

sergeant, DEA, -jeffB and 4 others like this.
  17. Kevin Mader

I have been looking for star notes and hit a drought of a few months. Then I got these two back-to-back leaving the DD drive through.

29F693E8-D389-47F2-9B95-10E302F6292F.jpeg

JPD3 and Hookman like this.
  18. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

A lot of similarities between the two notes and not that far apart in the numbers.
    Could they be from the same run?

UncleScroge and Kevin Mader like this.
  19. Kevin Mader

I had the same reaction until I checked the Series. An odd likeness nonetheless!!

Hookman likes this.
  20. Kevin Mader

A couple back-to-back bills in change received -1001 apart.

C3E9EB73-B350-4F62-A436-BFAAC5DAEE8D.jpeg

UncleScroge and Hookman like this.
  21. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

Aren't they just 1000 apart?

coin_nut, Kevin Mader and Danomite like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted