Pocket Change Finds; Post Your Results

Discussion in 'Coin Roll Hunting' started by Kevin Mader, Jan 31, 2020.

?

Should this thread be created to capture finds from change and leave CRH threads separate?

Poll closed Feb 14, 2020.
  1. Yes

91.7%
  2. No

8.3%
  1. Kevin Mader

Kevin Mader Fellow Coin Enthusiast Supporter

I've been noticing that folks post their pocket change finds in the Roll Searcher forums, which seems logical enough given this thread didn't seem to exist (within my Search results on a generic level I found a few individual posts on fun finds). I'll leave it to the Moderators to determine if a thread like this is redundant to that extant and lock it out as necessary and I set a poll to let the community decide on it's relevance. Otherwise, I thought I would post this week's findings since it was an unusual week for me (yes...they do happen).

As I'm sure many of you have done or do, I tend to break paper to make change to search. I'll work a vending machine for a nickel just to trade out a common coin in the hopes of getting something better in my change. It has paid off well over the years: several War Nickels, a few Buffalo Nickels, and several pre-60 nickels and a few doubled dies. I've also worked the vending machines for dimes and quarters, but admittedly, the findings are fewer. But I recall silver quarters and dimes...including one Mercury Dime. And I always seem delighted when I hear I'll be getting 3-4 cents back in a handful of change or as dispensed by the automated checkouts (sometimes cashiers round up or down eliminating that possibility). Anyway...I digress.

So, I was thinking it might be interesting to see some of those fun/lucky finds and hear the stories behind how it was acquired especially when they are unique and interesting. This isn't necessarily a need-a-penny-take-a-penny find thread, but perhaps working a change machine, vending machine, automated checkout, or traditional line checkout finds. CRH finds would continue to be posted in the traditional manner in the Roll Searcher's results thread.

Anyway...here's this past week's results - 2019DDR Jefferson Nickel (unattributed), 2013 Impaired Proof, 1960 Washington Quarter, and a 1950 Roosevelt dime.

goodweek.jpg

Mkm5, Cheech9712, john65999 and 3 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

I think we should have a thread like this. We've got the "roll hunting" thread and the "CoinStar reject" thread, but I go through a lot more coins from change than I do from either of those sources.

4. Hoky77

Hoky77 Well-Known Member

I,m in I got this in my change at MickyD's a couple weeks ago IMG_8304.JPG IMG_8305.JPG

5. Kevin Mader

@-jeffB I've seen those threads: distinct channels and that's what I'm proposing here. In other forums/sites I've seen separation by channel...so CRH finds are purely from CRH events. This thread would follow the same theme: distinct thread for a distinct (somewhat distinct) channel (one's change).

One advantage is that the growth rate of a forum/thread is that it'll be slower.

sel w and -jeffB like this.
  6. Kevin Mader

@Hoky77 I have receive a number of fine coins from those Golden Arches.

sel w likes this.
  7. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

I'm a part-time cashier having retired from the Engineering world. I'm just trying to stay busy.

Do you want coins and currency that I find in my till, to be included in this thread?

If so, I found a 1957 nickel a few days ago, and on Wednesday night I got 33 $1 * notes. I was surprised that they were all in one register. I can't be sure but I believe they came from the bank like that. We get regular "money truck" runs.

I haven't yet looked up the Star notes to see their values. Most of them are just average condition with no consecutives.

8. Kevin Mader

@Hookman I think those are the kinds of finds that would support a thread like this one. It's more the random coin that we come across that up until now, we would have posted it in a CRH thread.

sel w and Hookman like this.
  9. Treashunt

Treashunt The Other Frank

Seems like a good idea

CoinJockey73 and sel w like this.
  10. Bradley Trotter

Bradley Trotter Well-Known Member

@Kevin Mader what a great idea for a thread. Here is well circulated 1941 Lincoln Wheat Cent I got back in change from the Taco Bell drive-thru earlier today.

1914 Lincoln Wheat Cent Taco Bell FEB1 2020.jpg

11. Kevin Mader

@Bradley Trotter I always like to catch an LWC in my change!! I was making some change today but I haven't done the check yet. I wonder what might be lurking?

12. Kevin Mader

Well, todays change didn't reveal anything too exciting, but I did find a 1965 WQ and a 1967 RD in pretty nice shape. And a strange 1986 LMC; wonder how that toning happened?

20120h.jpg 20120t (2).jpg

13. -jeffB

That's zinc rot. A tiny hole in the copper coating exposes the zinc, which starts corroding as soon as it's exposed to an electrolyte -- say, sweat from a cashier's hand.

14. Kevin Mader

Thanks Jeff - I was actually surprised about the contrast of the obverse/reverse. It came up tails first and when I flipped it, shiny went to ugly pretty quickly! Correct on the hydrozincite.

15. -jeffB

And now I've learned a new term. Wikipedia says it fluoresces under UV. Great, now not only do I have to look at crappy Zincolns again, I have to drag out the UV lamps to see if I can make them glow!

16. Kevin Mader

:D

sel w likes this.
  17. Kevin Mader

It just hit me...maybe somebody spent someone's Star Note collection?? That could be a bummer. Good day for you though!

18. Hookman

Hookman Well-Known Member

It happened again today. I got 20 more. Two are consecutive. Several others almost consecutive, but we're not playing with hand grenades or horseshoes. Some are in better condition than yesterdays.
    I'll check the runs on them in the next few days and report back.

love old coins, sel w and Kevin Mader like this.
  19. old49er

old49er Well-Known Member

Been finding a few of these P Mintmark Lincoln's. Still looking for a A W Mintmark quarter, no luck yet. IMG_20200203_123404.jpg IMG_20200203_123417.jpg

20. Kevin Mader

@old49er I can happen. It did for me. I didn't realize how few were coined by the mint, but make sure you examine your shiny new quarters. I hope lightening strikes for you too!!

sel w, Hookman and old49er like this.
  21. CoinCollector76

CoinCollector76 A Coin Collector

I found a 1942 wheat penny and a 1947-S nickel from my pocket changes today at my local Safeway.

Draft saved Draft deleted