PMG rust, ink, and embossing

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by Squaredeal, May 15, 2013.

1. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

So my 2nd set of notes just got graded by PMG. Here are the results

[TABLE="width: 675"]
    [TR="class: datagrid_header"]
    Line Item
    Country
    Denom.
    Series
    Label Description
    Signatures
    Grade
    Comments
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: datagrid_ItemStyle"]
    US
    $10
    Gold Certificate
    Woods Mellon
    Good Embossing

[/TR]
    [TR="class: datagrid_altitemstyle"]
    US
    $1
    Legal Tender Note
    Woods Woodin
    Good Embossing

[/TR]
    US
    $1
    Legal Tender Note
    Woods Woodin
    Minor Rust
    [/TR]
    [TR="class: datagrid_altitemstyle"]
    US
    $100
    FRBN Chicago
    Jones Woods
    Good Embossing

[/TR]
    US
    $20
    1963A
    FRN San Francisco
    Granahan Fowler
    30 NET
    Ink
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

My question is, good embossing refers to the seal being clear and not faded right? Im curious why ink resulted in a net grading, does PCGS also net grade on ink? Whereas the rust did not cause a net grade, why? Just trying to get the most bang for my bucks.....

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

Also 1 of my mint notes is hinged, pmg or pcgs for that?

4. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

I'm not sure why rust did not result in a net grade. Ink could mean an ink stain or teller stamp.

Good embossing means that the pressure from the printing press left a raised impression on the opposite side. This indicates that the paper is original and not pressed.

I have a question for you. When I click on the invoice number on the left to see the grades of my notes, it tells me membership is required. I'm an ANA member but not collectors-society.

I called PMG and they saw the same issue, but stated I should be able to see it.

Thanks and congrats

5. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

hmmm i dunno, i joined the collectors society, definitely worth it, for self submissions. Sounds like an error with ur account, you might consider making a second account to see if problem persists, or deal with their administrators. Thanks again for ur continual help!

6. Squaredeal

Squaredeal Active Member

I was looking and I dont find many notes with "good embossing" advertised as comments on their grading, but I see many Paper quality comments, are the comparable? is one worth more then the other, I would think paper quality suggests originality but knowing what I now know about embossing, the note could be ppq or epq and still be pressed, and even if the note isnt pressed and was just a weak strike on the embossing, a collector couldnt truly tell the difference if it got past the grading companies right?

I guess im asking, in terms of originality of the note, embossing comment is best u can get am I correct?

Draft saved Draft deleted