PMG and PCGS slabbed notes

Discussion in 'Paper Money' started by CamaroDMD, Jan 17, 2013.

1. CamaroDMD

CamaroDMD [Insert Clever Title] Supporter

I have a couple questions about graded notes as I am looking to pick up a few. I would prefer graded notes (as I do graded coins) because I feel there is more security when buying online.

First off, it seems to me (from what I have read) that PMG and PCGS are the top tier graders when it comes to notes. Is that the case? Should all other graded notes be considered raw?

Also, I would prefer to store the graded notes in a binder or book. What are the dimensions of the PMG and PCGS holders? I would like to look for pages that would hold them.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. noob76

noob76 Member

I'm a guy who usually buys ungraded (but nothing too expensive or commonly counterfeited) but I'd say that ungraded banknotes are more the norm, and much much safer then ungraded coins.

Basically, the Secret Service still cares about the paper money supply, and since old banknotes since the 1860s are still technically legal tender, they treat fakes very, very seriously. A counterfeiter that can fake a large size gold cert could just as easily fake a modern 100. I don't know of any example of fake paper currency out there, at least for US notes. (That isn't necessarily the case for world notes or colonial stuff.)

also, since notes have an individual serial number, they are much easier to track. Check out the program Track and Price, which is amazing.

If you do get graded stuff, PMG and PCGS are really the only game in town and seem about on par with each other. Honestly, I'd only by graded on notes if it is something in very good condition that I don't want the value decreasing because I want to touch it.

4. SteveInTampa

SteveInTampa Always Learning

Since third party grading is a paid opinion and not science, PCGS and PMG are considered the top two because of prices realized for notes in their holders. Some collectors are good at grading and have in-person access to raw notes at shows and B&M dealers in their area so they can evaluate notes and make an educated purchase. TPG's are a great asset to on-line buying, but even PCGS and PMG have made mistakes. I own mostly raw notes, and notes in PCGS, PMG, and CGA holders.

I believe there is a thread on 1st page that addresses dimensions of holders.

5. kookoox10

kookoox10 ANA #3168546

A typical PMG or PCGS holder is about half the size of a letter sheet (8.5"x11"), so take that into consideration if you're planning on getting some protective sheets. Unless you get the wide holders where the information tag is on the left, those won't fit into anything convenient..

6. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

7. CamaroDMD

8. funkee

funkee Tender, Legal

9. ephyfe

ephyfe Member

I use a box. You can fit a lot of graded banknotes in this box and they are inexpensive. You may note be able to look at them like in a book, but they work for me.

http://www.wizardcoinsupply.com/whitman-large-graded-currency-storage-box.html

10. Hunt1

Hunt1 Active Member

11. CamaroDMD

Does anyone have any experience with Ultrapro Platinum pages and sleeves? I have used them in the past for my sports cards and many of my circulation finds (I put them in large size currency sleeves and they fit in their three slot pages). The pages are marketed as non-PVC, acid free and made of polypropylene.

12. CamaroDMD

Is there quite a mark up on graded notes? If I stick with reputable dealers for most of my purchases...raw notes are probably safe.

13. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Endeavor likes this.
  14. Endeavor

Endeavor Well-Known Member

Bucephalus likes this.
  15. Bucephalus

Bucephalus Active Member

Just arrived, looks and fits graded notes well. Sturdy and balanced, can stand upright while full or partially full. Flap stays closed by the aid of a magnet so tilting it won't have notes sliding out.

If you're storing Large Size notes you're best getting the 17 cm size which might actually be too big as my 1899 Black Eagle in a CGA holder is only 5 mm too big. But the 11.4 cm tall Currency Holder fit modern sized graded notes in PMG, PCGS and CGA holders perfectly.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2016
    Endeavor likes this.
  16. Endeavor

Awesome! Thanks for following up with the review. I have the item saved on my eBay watch list. Based on the review I will most likely get it also after I get my next paycheck.

Bucephalus likes this.
  17. Endeavor

@Bucephalus I ordered one today. I choose the red color. I used my eBay Bucks.

18. Player11

Player11 Bullish

I inventory PMG and PCGS graded notes only. For submission I prefer PMG.

I keep notes in storage boxes in SDB in boxes I picked up from supplies dealer which fit the dimensions of the notes. I do not use binders for these, too bulky and notes sb in safe, SDB, or stacked and locked up in case at show. I did buy a WPM collection not long ago which was in a binder as my offer was accepted. I simply put the notes in Mylar D Holders, attributed / labeled them / input into excel sheet, and away put in my storage boxes and trashed the binder. Some were listed in my ebay store. At shows I have stacks of WPM and USPM in my cases.

I would recommend shopping around with supplies dealers at show or online for storage boxes which both fit the dimensions of your notes and easy to store in safe or SDB.

19. Endeavor

Here it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted