PMD or error? LWC

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Jim sullivan, May 18, 2019.

1. Jim sullivan

Jim sullivan Toned coins rule

-1941 Wheat cent
    -Both sides
    - Irregular, squashed nd "fuzzy" jagged devices next to normal ones.
    Rim "rounded" (PIC SHOWS THIS COIN IN MIDDLE)
    Edge letters go "into" edge
    Overall weak and worn look.
    BUT weight and diameter are correct
    Surface texture is good ( not acid etched)
    And imo just looks like its always been this way.

-Post mint or mint error?
    Cant come up with a cause for either. PLEASE!!! Include some reasons for your diagnosis. Im really trying to understand things in detail.

Ive gone through many thousands of cents and never seen anything quite like this. Some of the abnormalties could be explained as dryer coin, acid dipped, worn die, in a bezel, impact damage, etc, and is what I thought at first. But one of those cant explain it all....
    Thank you!!!!!

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

circulation wear and tear good to very good somewhere inbetween.

4. Autoturf

Autoturf Well-Known Member

you said 1941. hehe.

5. cwart

cwart Senior Member Supporter

Could it be a vise job or one of the coins someone put between two leather strips and took a hammer to?

6. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

I honestly think this is just wear and since copper is so soft, most anything could "squish" the devices.

7. Jim sullivan

1941...lol...oops....im posting some stuff ive put aside over the last few months so got a lil mixed up....lol....

Idk.....maybe PMD. Ive just never come across anything quite like it and cant think of how some of the things on it would have been possible to create quite the way it is. Intentionally or not. Same goes for mint error. Cant find any 1 cause for the whole thing. Ive been putting in a LOTA time trying to aquire as full and as detailed a working knowledge as I can about mint errors and varieties and how theyre created and identified. Especially when well circulated. Thats a whole other level of confusion. Lol....

Autoturf likes this.
  8. Collecting Nut

Collecting Nut Borderline Hoarder

It's a well worn circulated 1944 cent with a current value of one cent.

9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

Just damaged. Dryer Coin.

10. Jim sullivan

I have never seen a copper cent worn this way without obvious signs of direct damage. How the rim and edge lettering is, how puffed out and deformed most of the other lettering and date is. If anyone has a cent that is similar in appearance, it would be cool to see it...never seen one wear that way without intent....ok....thank you

11. paddyman98

12. paddyman98

13. Jim sullivan

Thought dryer coin also....havent seen any examples where its worn like C in CENTS or the date, and then the E next to it is fine with normal wear. Has some similarities to dryer, acid, and heavily worn coins but none fit entirely....watever...no big deal...just tryin to figure out an oddball i dug up....thanks

14. Jim sullivan

15. Jim sullivan

Believe me, ive looked at every pic in 2 error books and all the listings on error reference more than once....again, its all good....was just somethin cool im tryin to inderstand more than anyone should want to....hahaha

16. Jim sullivan

I just want yall to know I do appreciate anyone that takes the time to thoughtfully coment on something I post. Ive collected coins on and off for 30+ years and in the last few Ive been much more active and serious about it and fully understanding all I can about the detailed mechanics involved in the minting process and the oddities it can produce. So I dont just want to know that the coin is worn, I want to understand the TYPE of wear that caused the specific effects. So Ill know what is what if I ome across something and so I can be of some use in helping others. Rarity and value are cool too but secondary. Being really into errors and varieties can make that a challenge at times. Just wanted to let ya know where im coming from and what im trying to find out. Thanks again!!!!

17. Oldhoopster

Oldhoopster Member of the ANA since 1982

Looks like a dryer coin to me the rim is starting to gold over and the mushy letter are due to contact as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted