plz help identifide this coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by omarzi, Jan 18, 2011.

1. omarzi

omarzi New Member

found it while working in camp in middle east, if any can help to identifide this coin and how much it worth?
    18012011046.jpg 18012011047.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

I think it is a medal rather than a coin. There doesn't seem to be a date or a denomination on it. Most medals are produced in "medal turn" and coins are produced in "coin turn". Place your thumb and forefinger on the 12 & 6 o'clock positions and rotate it. If the opposite side is upright, then it is a medal. If it is upside down, it would be a coin.

I believe the man is a representation of Saint Louis. Most Europeans spell it differently than we do in the US.

Chris

4. moneyer12

moneyer12 i just love UK coins.......

it;s a fantasy piece.

5. GeorgeM

GeorgeM Well-Known Member

Excellent photos!

I concur that this is probably a Fantasy Piece (ie; a modern coin made to look archaic, possibly as a token for use in a board game or for spending at a Renaissance festival). This is of a much higher quality than most of those, though.

It appears to be Bronze; what is the weight?

6. green18

green18 Unknown member Sweet on Commemorative Coins Supporter

I agree, most excellent indeed.

And welcome to the forum dear fellow.......
    :)

7. blsmothermon

blsmothermon Member

I would agree, a fantasy piece combined from two different Thalers:

Joachimsthal Half Thaler (replica) 1520 AD. OBV: ARMA . DOR . SLICOM . STEFA . ET . FRA . COM. D . SAS

And a different one from 1520: LUDOVICVS+PRIMVS+DEI+GRACIA+REX+BOEMIE

I believe it refers to King Ludovicus II of Hungary (Bohemia?). It appears to be struck fairly recently and the spelling is wrong compared to originals.

Draft saved Draft deleted