Pleasing NYINC Taler Submission Back from NGC

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Zohar444, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

A great benefit in attending the NY Show (among other larger venues) is that the TPGs accept submission. This means that not only you get free and very secure shipping to the TPG, one can immediately send raw purchases in at the show.

In addition to the raw submissions, in preparation for the show, I went over my entire collection along with a local expert picking out pieces that I thought should be looked at again (Regraded), Crossed over and conserved. I ended up submitting 14 coins - 5 raw, 2 conservation, 2 crossover and 5 raw (Of which 2 are unrelated to this thread).
    Results were mixed yet very pleasing - 5/5 raw graded in line with expectations, 2/2 crossed, 2/5 regraded came back higher.

The conservation work did not generate improvement in grade yet did wonders for one of the coins. I will post this separately. So here goes - The far nicer images were done by brg5658, the rest by my iphone. You can clearly tell the difference ;)

This first coin was purchased on auction in Europe. Always tough to find Ferdinand Charles coins in very nice condition, and this one stood out as exceptional. 1654. Ferdinand Charles, Archduke of Further Austria (1646-1662) 1/4 Taler. KM-982. M/T- 515. Tirol, Hall Mint. Beautiful eye appeal to this GEM fractional Taler. NGC MS-65.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Interesting story behind this one. I saw this one on the first day of the show at a dealer friend's table. I liked it and decided to pursue it. A known dealer who is known to poke at purchases made by others beat the purchase up (admittedly making me doubt the purchase). A collector friend was very forceful (in a friendly way) to make sure I follow through on this one. I am glad I did. What makes this coin superb is the eye appeal that comes with it. 1713. Charles VI (1711-1740) Taler. DAV-1050. Hall Mint. Toned, multi color coin, with pristine fields. NGC MS-63.

[​IMG]

Another raw floor purchase, somewhat out of my theme, yet perhaps the most attractive design. I found this one raw at a dealer's box. I took it to Kunker's table to gain a sense of value and scarcity. They indicated these don't come up often and this one is quite attractive. I bought it at a fair price. This coin's reverse design is wild and has great eye appeal. 1796 K. Breslau. Bishop Joseph von Hohenlohe (1795-1817) 1/2 Taler. Scarce type. KM-229. F. u. S. 2788. Obverse: Bust right, titles of Josef Christian Obverse Legend: * IOSEPH . D.G. PRIN. AB HOHENLOHE WALD. BART. Reverse: Crowned and mantled ornate arms supported by 2 lions, cardinal's hat above, titles cont. and date. Splendid eye appeal and uncommonly found problem free. NGC MS-62.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This coin was graded MS-64+ by our hosts. Some would say why cross over. The sole reason is that this coin is Choice GEM if there is such a grade so I felt it needed to. These Hungarian pieces do not come nicer. 1733-KB. Charles VI (1711-1740) Taler. DAV-1060. Herinek 448, Huszár 1605. Kremnitz Mint. Top end piece of this scarcer mint issue. Lusterous piece, superb for the type. NGC MS-65.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second cross over which upgraded by a point. 1649. Austria. Ferdinand III (1637-1657) Taler. DAV-3177. KM-840. Lower Austria. Vienna Mint. Scarcer type and mint. Wonderful piece having a superb strike coupled with toning over mint luster. Scarce this nice. NGC MS-64.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This is a very tough 2 Taler piece. I showed it to a few people who felt the AU-55 was short changing the true grade. I decided to send it in for a regrade. Value wise an AU-58 adds much to this scarcer type. ND. Archduke Ferdinand II (1564-95) 2 Talers. Hall Mint. DAV-8120. Moser Tursky-310/308. Posthumous issue, struck 1601/4. Obv: Draped and mantled bust left, wearing Collar of the Order of the Golden Fleece. Rev: Crowned eagle facing head left, with coat-of-arms on breast. Very rare issue. NGC AU-58.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Second regrade which in comparing to other MS-62s felt superior. This die variety is not as common and therefore the point bump makes a difference to my set and longer term value. Look at that cute lion on shoulder!! Emperor Leopold I (1657-1705) "The Hogmouth". Double (2) Taler. Tirol, Hall Mint. DAV-3249. Stunning piece for this scarcer die variety. NGC MS-63.

[​IMG]

jlesliec, J.A.K., jj00 and 4 others like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Nice acquisitions! Thanks for sharing them with us.

Chris

4. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

Unbelievably beautiful coins....just wonderful

5. Savy

Savy Well-Known Member

Stunning coins.

6. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Thanks guys. For those of you new to Talers, my website has the entire collection and history around them. www.taleruniverse.com

7. harris498

harris498 Accumulator

Wow, these are fantastic!

8. chrsmat71

chrsmat71 I LIKE TURTLES!

wow man, those are gorgeous.

9. physics-fan3.14

physics-fan3.14 You got any more of them.... prooflikes?

Dang. Yet another gorgeous group. You have an amazing collection.

10. dlhill132

dlhill132 Member

Zohar,
    Beautiful coins and awesome website. Big smile.
    ~Doug

11. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Wow I really like those! Congrats!

12. Hotpocket

Hotpocket Supreme Overlord

Absolutely beautiful coins. I am particularly impressed with the 1796 1/2 Thaler from Breslau (are you interested in selling?), but my question is: is there any rim damage on the coin (10 o'clock to 12 o'clock when looking at the obverse)? Hard to tell in the pictures, especially since it is in a holder. I realize the easy answer is that since it was graded MS62, there is no damage, but I have seen older coins like this be given a bit of a pass on condition sometimes. Would love to hear your opinion.

Either way, congrats - fantastic coins all around.

13. Zohar444

Zohar444 Member

Draft saved Draft deleted