Please tell me that this Morgan dollar is real.

Discussion in 'US Coins Forum' started by The Half Dime, Apr 8, 2024.

1. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

I think we have our newest counterfeit coin.

1883-O Morgan Silver Dollar PCGS MS64 | eBay

What concerns me is the shield on the holder, and the font that the writing is in. I get that companies change their holders, but I've seen the gold shields and they're mainly the same. This one though, is a solid gold shield, while many have black on the shield as well.

Also, if you look at the images of the coin on eBay and the TrueView image, there is no similarity. The below is the TrueView image, and compare that to the image of the coin.

If this coin is counterfeit, I want to ask you this: are we really doing enough to keep fake graded coins out of the numismatic community?
    [​IMG]

Image courtesy of PCGS.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Lon Chaney

Lon Chaney Well-Known Member

While that indeed is the image on PCGS cert verify, that doesn't look like any image I've ever seen from PCGS, trueview or otherwise.
    With that said, it kind of looks right for the generation of the holder, and the serial number is in the right range, but the front looks like Gen 4.4 and the reverse looks like Gen 4.4S - so I don't know.
    The seller is selling a lot of basement slabbed items as well.
    I would pass on this one, just to be safe.
    https://www.pcgs.com/holdermuseum/Gen4.4S

4. mrweaseluv

mrweaseluv Supporter! Supporter

after careful examination of both pictures.. I'm fairly positive they are the same coin... the pcgs pic you posted is so badly color corrected that it's just plain shameful (and yes i went and looked at pcgs myself because they are usually much better with pics)...
    Anyhoo yes they are the same coin in my opinion. it is also poorly graded. I know many O mint morgans have weak strikes the 83 prominent among them, but that coin shows wear... Not a weak strike in my opinion just a badly overgraded AU58. For that asking price you can do much better.

5. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

When in doubt follow your intuition... Good luck.

6. The Half Dime

The Half Dime Arrows!

That's a great point, and I'll add that they're selling a lot of basement-slabbed coins for very high prices. I wasn't considering buying it, but I do wonder if the item should be reported.

Also, how can you remember all of those PCGS generations? I'd really love to know your secret code for it. ;)
    I think that they want more along the lines of a MS65 price. Some sellers are like that, unfortunately. As for the strike, it may actually be an AU-58 piece, but I agree that even if it's MS, it's still poorly graded.

I just don't get why some professional graders see a clear 62 as a 65.

David Betts likes this.
  7. Barney McRae

Barney McRae Supporter! Supporter

There has been a rash of NTC and UCSG? coins for sale on eBay lately. Some are ridiculous jokes at the grades the holders have on them. Some are diamonds in the rough. I pretty much shy away from them because bidders are so gullible, so they bid up even the diamonds. I want to buy them at 25% of their graded value. lol

Draft saved Draft deleted