Please show me your good deals at coin shows

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Vegas Vic, Apr 12, 2014.

1. Vegas Vic

Vegas Vic Undermedicated psychiatric patient

At the last coin show, the Vegas show I bought the first two coins from a show that I had bought in 10 years. Not only that but 1 I traded for so i got a better deal and one was from Amanda, which I paid a significant markup for toning. Further Amanda's coin is a r7 with only five total coins known. So there was very little data on value. When I was walking out a guy had a bunch of Norse medals which I have always wanted. His pcgs white thick was $320. I pulled out my phone and right there (not telling the guy) bought one off eBay same pcgs white thick ms 63 for $215. ( free with ebucks :) )

So every time I post my opinion about shows being bad places to buy at least one person will chime in about how good the deals are. So now I'm curious. If someone that has posted or even not posted but thinks they got a great deal please show me.

It would make things simple to please post a picture of your pcgs or ngc coin ( picture so if there was a premium it will show why. Paying a premium over bid can be a great deal if the coin is that great) and please post the price so we can compare to bid. I'm sure someone out there will be willing to disclose price if the deal that they got was that good.

Coin for the thread.

image.jpg image.jpg

This is a new one I just got. The copper on the back has a real cool toning. The die crack on the front goes all the way around. And there is great luster on both sides. Most importantly, I did not buy it at a show.

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Amanda Varner

Amanda Varner Well-Known Member

Nice to hear from you, Vic! :)

All I can say is we usually give the public wholesale or near-whole sale prices at shows. I imagine it's just like anything else though: depends on the specific vendor you're dealing with. eBay, for example can have some great deals -- it also has some ridiculous pie-in-the-sky markups...

Mainebill and spirityoda like this.
  4. Vegas Vic

I'm not calling any dealers out with this thread. I just want to see with my own eyes these great deals people keep talking about.

5. non_cents

non_cents Well-Known Member

Well I have only been to 1 show and picked up 2 coins at average price. But one advantage I can think of about going to a show compared to ebay is that you can see the coin in-hand. This is especially helpful if the coin is raw...a little bit of touching up in an online photo can convince many that a problem coin is problem-free.

jj00 and spirityoda like this.
  6. -jeffB

-jeffB Greshams LEO Supporter

Well, it didn't involve certified coins, but there was that show a few years back where I was buying junk silver at 25x from one dealer and selling it at 26x to another... :)

Amanda Varner likes this.
  7. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

seeing the coin in your hand is way better and you might not see coins online...some dealers do not sell online....therefore you might see a coin you have been wanting for say 10-15 years at a coin show that is not on Ebay or online somewhere else. some dealers I deal with at Vegas coin shows give you discounts if they have multiples of 1 coin. some dealers I know in Vegas give you a discount if you buy 5-20 coins from them at one time.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2014
  8. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

That's just your opinion. Looking through THEIR eyes is what is really important.

Chris

9. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

And that is the important point.

Yes Vic there are dealers at shows that ask far more than their coins are really worth. But there are also many there who will, as Amanda mentioned, sell you coins basically at wholesale prices. In other words at Greysheet Ask. And this is extremely common.

10. Vegas Vic

My post is very specific about asking collectors to post coins purchased from dealers at shows. I can't see anyway to be more specific about this. I did not post that every dealer at a show is there to rip you off. People keep differing with my opinion that coins at shows are sold for extremely high retail and so I want to see exactly what they are referencing when they talk about the good deals they got. It has been my long experience that the deals are not good so I am waiting for someone to show me a specific example about a specific coin at a specific price with a specific picture that their opinion is based on.

In fairness I will be willing to post a coin I bought with specific price and pictures not from shows. I'll try to post one-for-one to be fair. If I'm asking someone else to post coins and prices I'll put my money where my mouth is and show mine

11. spirityoda

spirityoda Coin Junky

have you asked for a lower price ? some coins are so jacked up in price because of the costs of a table at the show + overhead. I always ask for a lower price. it all depends on the coin too. If I deal with a dealer I always buy from... I always start out with "ok what is my frequent buyer discount price on this coin" that dealer usually laughs and gives me a few dollars lower on a coin. you would be surprised on how good that works. and some dealers are like "that's the fixed price".:woot:

12. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

OK, I'll play. I bought all 3 of these coins at shows, paid under $200 for each of them.

1809 8 reales obv.jpg 1822 8 reale obv.jpg 1824 Potosi 8 reales obv.jpg

geekpryde, Morgandude11 and green18 like this.
  13. Vegas Vic

Please make it a little easier on me and show us coins. I also asked for pcgs and ngc because it would obviate the argument here on what it is worth vs grade.

An overwhelming number of coins in dealer's cases at shows are certified. If all those great deals are out it should not be hard to post u.s. graded coins with price

14. C-B-D

C-B-D Well-Known Member

Bought this one at the Baltimore Expo for $900 (that was his asking price) and sold it to another dealer the next day for $1,900. Coin World magazine lists this coin at $1000. RedBook has G04 at $500 and F12 at $975. This variety is not listed in greysheet. So why was the dealer so anxious to give me $1,900? - Because price guides are useless on coins like these.
    $_57 (7).JPG $_57 (8).JPG

coinzip, geekpryde and Vegas Vic like this.
  15. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

i got this at a show. I forgot what I paid.
    P1010595_1.JPG P1010596_1.JPG

16. bkozak33

bkozak33 Collector

I bought a 1000 2x2. they were a few cents a piece

17. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

Well I got some nice Kennedy's at a small coin show both this and last year. However the best deal I came out with was this:[​IMG]

$100 cash. I think that is a good deal as the lowest I have seen a MS/SP69 go was $135.

18. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Personally, I think this thread serves no useful purpose. You sound angry and are just venting your displeasure.

Chris

imrich, xGAJx, BHPM Trader and 2 others like this.
  19. Vegas Vic

I asked for examples. Multiple people are sharing with me their posts. The 98 in 69 sells for over payment while I don't believe in modern slabs I do know there is a market and this example was under market making it a good deal

I'm not angry, I'm just curious. I don't know how good Doug's deal is I only know us coins but I'm sure it was a good deal for him to post it.
    Different people have different definitions of what a good deal is and instead of disagreeing with them I was hoping some people could quantify their definitions of a good deal. My idea of a bad deal might not be the same as someone else. So I figured we just put all the cards on the table and compare apples to apples.

I will say though you have posted multiple times on this thread and I haven't seen a coin or even a story.
    Maybe you could act in a positive manner and show some examples of your own. Just a thought. But I'm really not interested in having a negative conversation with you so from here on I'm not responding to anymore of your coinless posts.

20. Ethan

Ethan Collector of Kennedy's

We considering it is called the king of the Kennedy's and there are about 7% that made a 70 grade, probably 50% made the 69. These are $150-200 halves. With a mintage of only 60k, they will grow in value I hope. The hype for them is getting less and less as those that wanted one probably already have one. I bought a set raw but could not pass this one up, PCGS slabbed to boot.

21. Vegas Vic

I totally agree that many times a coin is not worth grey sheet. I even put that in my first post why I wanted to see the pic because many times the coin is valued over grey. As a matter of fact I never sell at greysheet to dealers at shows because all my coins I bring to shows are either toned, errors or patterns and these don't really have a grey sheet. I buy what I think are undervalued coins off eBay and other sites and then sell at shows. So I respect the point you made, as it is the only way I operate. I don't buy collections and don't do coins full or even part time. I just dabble enough to make me feel good. I never sell white us certified because I can't buy those wholesale. But a bad picture of a good coin is what I really do. You would be surprised what a few dollars and a few minutes can find online. Bad pictures are a great opportunity.

I said I would kiss and tell so my coin in the first post was $1685.

This is the coinfacts page for comparable sales . I bought this at retail for the color and honestly this one won't be going to any shows. It will stay with me. I'll show another coin later tonight with full disclosure of price.

image.jpg

Draft saved Draft deleted