Please look at Hadrian

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by Mammothtooth, Jan 27, 2021.

1. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Hi

Please look at my Hadrian
    I purchased some time ago. Can you place the typology RIC, guess condition. DB7BBB78-7E6B-4C76-B36C-57116B1D434B.jpeg 47E1972A-A003-4FDB-955A-748A926569CD.jpeg

Thanks, Mammothtooth

Last edited: Jan 27, 2021
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. +VGO.DVCKS

+VGO.DVCKS Well-Known Member

First thing that leaps out at me is, that's Hadrian. A lot of his legends have some version of 'Trajan Hadrianus,' in honor of his adoptive father.

Inspector43 likes this.
  4. Mammothtooth

Oops, sorry....As you may have guessed I am new at this

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  5. +VGO.DVCKS

No worries! With the first denarius I ever bought, exactly the same thing happened! Guess that gave me inside information.
    ...Come to think of it, it fooled the dealer, too!
    Another fun thing you can do with this, and lots of Roman imperial coins, is date the coin from the reverse. That's Aequitas, holding scales and a cornucopia. The reverse legend is a string of abbreviated titles of Senatorial and other official offices Hadrian held.
    "PM TRP COS III" can be rendered, "Pontifex Maximus [High Priest of the state religion]," "Tribunica Potestas [holding the power of a Tribune]," "Third year as Consul [...from 119 CE]."
    Hadrian didn't update the date of his consulship after that. Other people here know more detail about the full implications of that, but as early in the reign as 119, Hadrian would be only likelier to still be referring to Trajan.

6. Justin Lee

Justin Lee I learn by doing

Mammothtooth and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  7. +VGO.DVCKS

Justin Lee and Mammothtooth like this.
  8. hotwheelsearl

hotwheelsearl Well-Known Member

My first denarius was Caracalla but it said ANTONINVS PIVS. I thought it was a fake or something but no, it’s just the way it was

DonnaML and +VGO.DVCKS like this.
  9. Mammothtooth

Thank you very much, I will be looking at your coins, I need to get more Emperors..

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  10. +VGO.DVCKS

As @hotwheelsearl pointed out, there are lots of variations from the common modern names. "Caracalla" is actually a nickname. ...So is Caligula; who else...
    One thing that would really help you out (@Mammothtooth) would be any edition of David Sear, Roman Coins and their Values. Like Wildwinds, it's far from comprehensive, but the exceptions run to being serious rarities. And it has all kinds of introductory matter, covering commoner reverse types, mints, and so forth. Along with full names of every emperor, and all the main variations of their names and titles. ...Hoping you could find an older edition for cheap. Mine goes back to 1974, but, to come clean, I used it for your Hadrian. It's very good for getting your bearings on this stuff.

DonnaML and Mammothtooth like this.
  11. Mammothtooth

Very nice, I will look for one. Thank you for your t8me in helping.

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
  12. +VGO.DVCKS

You're cordially welcome. It's fun to remember my early collecting days. Enlightened self interest, sort of.

13. PeteB

PeteB Well-Known Member

Maybe it’s a trick of the lighting and camera angle, but the edges seem weird to my old eyes. Can you post a picture of the edges?

+VGO.DVCKS likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted