Please help me identify this coin

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Fleshgrl02, Jul 19, 2016.

1. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Hi everyone,
    Wanted to thank everyone in advance. Do you know what this coin is? It is in a solid 14K gold bezel. Thanks again :) DSC02714.JPG DSC02715.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. wcoins

wcoins GEM-ber

Looks like a Spanish shipwreck coin in a mount, seen these for sale - maybe Atocha, not sure if real since there's a lot of fakes floating around.

4. Insider

Insider Talent on loan from...

It is an undated Mexican Cob. It has nothing to do with the Atocha. Your coin looks genuine. If you photo it next to a dime (for relative size) We can try to identify the denomination.

5. Paddy54

Paddy54 Well-Known Member

Size and weight of the cob?

6. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

The size is approx. 1 1/4 inches (including bail). The weight is approx. 5.86 grams.

7. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

It measures approx. 1 1/4 inches (including the bail), and the weight is approx. 5.86 grams. Here are some pictures next to a dime. Thank you :) DSC02906.JPG DSC02907.JPG

8. Paddy54

It's hard to tell not having the cob in hand if it's real or a cast copy. If I had to make a call from the images I say fake. Reason being both the shield on rev. As well as the cross on the obv. Just don't look correct .

9. Paddy54

Compare the following images to yours . These are 8 Reale the second from the Atocha 20150427_122617.jpg 20150427_122633.jpg 20150427_123930.jpg 20150427_123950.jpg

10. Insider

Your cob is probably 100% genuine. The member who believes it is a fake has posted photos of another "design type" :oops: without the "balls" at the end of the cross. This week I'll post the denomination from the size and weight.

Your coin is struck and shows no signs of ever having been near water :hilarious::hilarious: as the coins that were recovered from the sunken ship Atocha. :facepalm:

Last edited: Jul 24, 2016
  11. Insider

I'm going to guess your cob is a "Real" due to the added weight of the bezel.

12. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

Yes I do agree. Now, what do you think the denomination is. The cob itself measures approx. 19 mm or 20 mm (just coin measurement).

13. Insider

It's a Real.

14. Fleshgrl02

Fleshgrl02 Member

That's what I thought. Thank you for all your help!

Draft saved Draft deleted