Please help me educate another coin page

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by FooFighter, Mar 2, 2020.

1. FooFighter

FooFighter Just a Knucklehead Coin Hunter

Im asking either paddyman98 or anyone else. I'm getting arguments about proof nickels getting full step designation . Ive already uploaded something from NGC but still arguing.
    Please help me educate.
    Thanks, Foo

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. GDJMSP

GDJMSP Numismatist Moderator

To the best of my knowledge, the only special designations that any Proof coin gets is CAM or DCAM. All other special designations apply to business strikes only.

wxcoin, Kentucky, Spark1951 and 2 others like this.
  4. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

I believe all proof nickels are supposed to have full steps, so a FS designation is not given by a TPG. I may be wrong, but read this point somewhere in the past.

wxcoin and chascat like this.
  5. Clawcoins

Clawcoins Damaging Coins Daily

would this help
    https://www.pcgs.com/news/tips-from-the-grading-room-part-3

"Full Steps (FS) is the designation following the numerical grade of some regular-strike MS60 or higher Jefferson nickels that have at least five separated steps (lines) at the base of Monticello."

Of course, it does not say "not on proofs" or anything like that if someone wants some explicitly stating "not proofs".

6. baseball21

baseball21 Well-Known Member

The proof Jefferson’s are expected to have FS so they don’t bother putting it on the labels.

wxcoin and SchwaVB57 like this.
  7. Clawcoins

also this statement at the bottom of the page
    https://www.pcgs.com/coinfacts/coin/1940-5c-fs/84007

"
    Ron Guth:

The 1940 Jefferson Nickel is a very common coin in both circulated and Uncirculated grades, and in Full Step and non-Full Step versions. The finest non-Full Step certified by PCGS is a single MS-69; the finest Full Steps include 38 in MS-67FS."

of course, no reference of Proofs.

8. Clawcoins

if you google it ....
    upload_2020-3-2_9-43-0.png

9. Clawcoins

also NGC is more Explicit
    https://www.ngccoin.com/news/article/6752/learn-grading-full-steps-nickels/

"
    The steps of Monticello on a Jefferson Nickel are often weakly struck on circulation issues (i.e., Mint State issues). Coins that have more sharply struck steps are more desired by collectors, who term these coins “full steps.”

Since 2004, NGC has used the 5-Full Steps (5FS) and 6-Full Steps (6FS) designations for qualifying Jefferson Nickels. These designations are only used with MS (Mint State) Jefferson Nickels. Proof coins are generally expected to have full steps."

@FooFighter hope that helps

wxcoin, micbraun and Spark1951 like this.
  10. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

You have failed to make your position clear on this matter. ~ Chris

FooFighter and chascat like this.
  11. Clawcoins

If you go to eBay and search "proof nickel full steps"
    you will get plenty of results,
    although none of them will be certified/slabbed that way.

If you then eBay search (completed auctions or not) for
    "proof nickel full steps PCGS NGC"
    All the slabbed coins are "MS" designated. You may even get a few slabbed PL.
    but not one Proof.

ironic isn't it ??

You can only lead a horse to water,
    you can't make them drink.

So you can provide the info from PCGS, NGC, show the supportive results, etc. but you can't forcifully make someone believe a particular position. Most people have such a "great desire" to "force" knowledge contrary to the supportive fact that it is a losing battle.

Just provide the information and leave it at that.

thomas mozzillo likes this.
  12. Mountain Man

Mountain Man Well-Known Member

Well said sir.

FooFighter likes this.
  13. FooFighter

Thank you so much gentleman. All the info you have provided has proven the point that I had proven, except for cpm9ball. Lol Chris you're not being clear on my being clear.

14. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

In your original post (at the very top) you failed to state whether your position was Pro or Con, and that is why I questioned you on that point (middle quote). ~ Chris

Dynoking likes this.
  15. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

So are you saying a Proof Nickel absent of full steps is not designated or graded as a proof?

16. baseball21

A proof is always a proof even circulated, only question is if you could still tell it’s one.

Burton Strauss III and SchwaVB57 like this.
  17. justafarmer

justafarmer Senior Member

Yes, I know. The vague point I was making in my post is "FS" is a grade enhancement designation. Being that all proof nickels are expected to exhibit full steps adding the "FS" designation to a proof graded nickel is redundant and provides no enhancement to the coin's grade. Therefore the grading companies have made the conscious decision not to apply it to proofs. If they were to adopt a full step designation for proof coins it would probably go the way of "NSF" not full steps.

18. baseball21

Agreed. Seems more like something for an error proof than anything

19. SchwaVB57

SchwaVB57 Well-Known Member

No, No Full Steps should reduce the Proof grade of the coin.

20. Pickin and Grinin

Pickin and Grinin Well-Known Member

Unless it's a 39' reverse of 38' 5FS scarce 6FS very rare.

21. FooFighter

Lmao YIKES! What have I started? Just think about it like this, if I can get it, anyone can get it. And I get it.

Now if I can just get it straight with Chris(cpm9ball). I,,but you,,,,, uhm that's, yes you are correct sir. I didn't stipulate my stance on the issue, or question. It took me a while, but I knew it had to be at least an MS60, and I didn't think a proof could get the FS.
    It's just like, when people tell you you're not very good looking, constantly, you start to doubt yourself and your studliness! When all along you know women have been clamoring just to be near you. Ha Yea, like that.
    How are things down in Fla my friend? I know you guys have missed me over here. Allot has happened.
    Ok thanks for all the help.
    Peace
    Foo

Draft saved Draft deleted