Please help me choose the last three for my top 10

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by DonnaML, Dec 3, 2020.

?

Which 3 of these 9 should go in my Top 10?

Poll closed Dec 10, 2020.
  1. # 1 : C. Servilius M.F., Roma/Dioscuri

31.0%
  2. # 2: C. Mamilius Limetanus, Mercury/Ulysses

37.9%
  3. # 3: L. Marcius Censorinus, Apollo/Marsyas the Satyr

20.7%
  4. # 4: A. Postumius A.f. Sp.n. Albinus , Hispania/Togate Roman with eagle & fasces

13.8%
  5. # 5: Q. Caecilius Metullus, Pietas/Elephant

51.7%
  6. # 6: L. Procilius L.f., Juno Sospita/Juno Sospita in biga

17.2%
  7. # 7 : P. Satrienus, Mars/She-Wolf

34.5%
  8. # 8: Cn. Plancuis, Macedonia/Cretan Goat

56.9%
  9. # 9: C. Vibius C. f. C. n. Pansa , Mask of Pan/Jupiter Axurus

20.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Cicero12

Cicero12 Well-Known Member

Any would certainly be worthy, but for me, it’s 2, 7 and 8!

DonnaML likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Romancollector

Romancollector Well-Known Member

All of them are great @DonnaML , but the Pansa has to be my favourite!! The denarii of C. Servilius and Q. Metellus are close seconds! You have quite a comprehensive collection of Republican denarii!! I cannot say the same for myself...

DonnaML likes this.
  4. DonnaML

DonnaML Well-Known Member

Thanks to all of you; I find this very helpful. And I note for the record that the Cretan goat has now pulled ahead of the elephant, with Ulysses and his dog coming up fast on the outside (no doubt with Mercury's assistance).

I wonder if anyone has noticed that six of the 9 choices on this list date from 82-77 BCE; five just from 82-80. The same is true of three of the 7 other coins I've already picked (provisionally) for my top 10 list, so nine of 16 overall. Perhaps it's a coincidence, but perhaps there really was a high point of interesting and appealing coins (especially reverses) during that period -- i.e., the period of Sulla's victories in his second civil war, his appointment as Dictator, etc. -- commemorating or anticipating his triumphs. The only other period substantially represented is the period from 57-42, with another five of the 16. The other two are both from before 110 BCE. Nothing at all from 110-83, or 76-58. Who knows; maybe it says something about my taste in Republican coins, or maybe it means nothing.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2020
  5. ancient coin hunter

ancient coin hunter 3rd Century Usurper

No. 5 is great. Otherwise, hard to decide.

DonnaML likes this.
  6. Bob Evancho

Bob Evancho Well-Known Member

1, 5, 8 but they are all nice. Good thing you didn't ask us to choose from gold coins.

DonnaML likes this.
  7. DonnaML

Why? Not sure I get it.

8. Seated J

Seated J Well-Known Member

I went for 4,7, & 8. What can I say, I'm a sucker for toning.

DonnaML likes this.
  9. singig

singig Well-Known Member

Yes, a hard decision to take with nice coins like these, I voted for #2 #7 and #8.

DonnaML likes this.
  10. jfreeman

jfreeman New Member

All of the above are gorgeous coins, all worthy of a top 10.

I do have to single out your Serrate Denarius of Limetanus as my favourite of the collection. It is something about the detail of Mercury and his petasus that I find particularly interesting.

A denarius of Limetanus was my first (and still only) republican that I have in my collection so I might be slightly bias. Interestingly it actually came from the @Andrew McCabe collection via a Roma auction at the end of May.

DonnaML likes this.
  11. Gavin Richardson

Gavin Richardson Well-Known Member

You know you can’t leave the little doggie Argo out, Donna. Isn’t it enough that Penelope’s suitors treated him so poorly?

BB6E79A2-3967-4CCD-8387-649F759C301F.png

Johndakerftw, Bing and DonnaML like this.
  12. AncientJoe

AncientJoe Well-Known Member

My pick is 7, 8, and 9 although all of them are great additions!

DonnaML likes this.
  13. Mr.Q

Mr.Q Well-Known Member

Interesting, my choices were not of the highest ratings but thanks for the post.

DonnaML likes this.
  14. Fugio1

Fugio1 Well-Known Member

The issue of C. Servilius has been one of my favorites for its unique composition of the dioscuri and the ornate depiction of Roma, so #1 definitely gets my vote. Beyond this, #8, Cn Plancuis and the #9 Pansa are exceptional examples of these types so these got my other two votes.

DonnaML likes this.
  15. DonnaML

Although I'm going to wait a few more days, I can say right now that I'm very strongly leaning towards picking the top three in the current voting. Amazing how popular opinion conforms to my suddenly-realized personal preference! In fact, I'm seriously considering taking a fourth coin from the remaining six -- although I'm not sure yet which one; it won't necessarily be the fourth place vote-getter -- and dropping one of the seven coins I had already selected for my top 10. Thanks for all your help!

16. akeady

akeady Well-Known Member

For what it's worth, I voted #1, #8, #9 as well.

But all are great! I may try a top 10 as well, but waiting to see what else arrived - it's still only 5th December :)

ATB,
    Aidan.

DonnaML likes this.
  17. Pishpash

Pishpash Well-Known Member

Sorry, can't help. Love all your coins.:D

DonnaML likes this.
  18. Caesar_Augustus

Caesar_Augustus Well-Known Member

I ain't much of a collector for coins from the early period, but I do love myself a good dog!

DonnaML likes this.
  19. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I said 1, 2, and 8 but all are decent choices. A couple look harshly cleaned but that could be as much the photos as anything.

DonnaML likes this.
  20. DonnaML

It's entirely possible that you are right. I am not so expert in detecting such things unless they're really obvious.

21. dougsmit

dougsmit Member

I did not vote for #9 which shares with my example a poor face on Jupiter. Is there a reason I am missing that explains why this type often has better detail on the rest of the coin?
    r27390bb2795.jpg

Johndakerftw, DonnaML and Bing like this.
Draft saved Draft deleted