Please help identify Roman sestarius

Discussion in 'Coin Chat' started by Ceaver, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Ceaver

Ceaver New Member

I am fairly confident that this is Antoninus Pius with Victoria advancing on reverse but i cannot find one anywhere quite like it. Winged Victoria seems to have a globe (bad news for flat-earthers) or a shield which is sitting on a pedestal. This particular scene is not repeated on any Antoninus coin pics that i have gone through. I found an identical Antoninus image on a silver denarius which i will also post but the reverse is not visible because someone made it into a ring. Is this unique or I just haven't searched hard enough? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Parthicus

Parthicus Well-Known Member

If you look closely at the reverse, Victory is inscribing a shield "VIC PAR" in honor of Roman victory over Parthia. This type was used by Aurelius in the second half of AD 166. RIC lists several varieties of this type, numbers 928-930 depending on the exact bronze denomination (can't tell from the picture alone) and variation in the obverse legend (which is mostly missing on your coin). There is also the similar 931-936, but those all are listed as having a pile of weapons at the base of the palm-tree, which doesn't seem to be present on your coin. RIC lists these as Common or Scarce, depending on exact variety. Your coin probably can't be attributed to exact RIC number due to the poor condition/missing inscription, but it is still a cool bit of history.

4. Ceaver

Ceaver New Member

Great job Parthicus. I do think its most similar to 231. Thanks so much! Best regards, Mike

Draft saved Draft deleted