Please help Identify Obverse - Black Sea - Pantikapaion coin

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by USS656, Dec 5, 2006.

1. USS656

USS656 Here to Learn Supporter

Please help identify Obverse. I could not find a better angle that showed better detail, sorry. I have not seen markings like this on any Pantikapaion coin gallery.

Bronze - 15mm

Thanks

Darryl

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

4. USS656

Thank You AnemicOak,

The three or four marks on the right side of the obverse side are very prominent while what appears to be a very worn head has some deep groves but they do not seem to make sense in their design.

Would love to see if you find anything in the reference book you have.

Best Regards,

Darryl

5. USS656

6. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

It's possible there is some type of countermark on the obverse as well, usually both sides are marked, but not always. I've seen a fair number of coins from the Bosporus Kingdom that have been countermarked, but I'm not sure if any were the smaller coins. Usually it's a kind of rosette on the obverse, but there may have been others. There are a number of variations on the young satyr obverse out there too, a search at http://www.coinarchives.com/a might turn some other examples up.

7. Mikjo0

Mikjo0 Numismatist

AnemicOak,
    Here is a photo of mine.You can see the details a bit better.

Attached Files:

8. AnemicOak

AnemicOak Coin Hoarder

Yeah, I'm pretty convinced that's what Darryl's got, but I'll check MacDonald's book when I get home just to see if anything else pops.

9. USS656

Thanks again,

I'll take a closer look at the coin tomorrow (when I have time) to see how well it fits. It looks like the closest coin I've seen so far. I've looked at 600 to 700 so far online with no close match.

Darryl

10. USS656

Mikjo0,

That is it, rotate my picture 10 degrees clockwise and put it next to your picture and you have it. The nose, eye, and mouth become clear.

Thank you for you help...

Darryl

Draft saved Draft deleted