Please help identify if this is a 2017 p cud error.

Discussion in 'Error Coins' started by Matthew G., Jan 15, 2019.

1. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

image.jpg Hi I’ve been trying to lay low but I have a question I would like to ask. I was going through a $25 dollar penny box when I stumbled upon this 2017 p penny. It looks like a crown is getting blown off the 7 and it is headed towards Lincoln. What is this?

Attached Files:

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

Also there seems to be a line under the A and M in AMERICA.

4. Amos 811

Amos 811 DisMember

I see no cuds around the rim, where were you thinking? The crown is probably damage.

5. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

Sorry I’m new to the error terms I thought since the crown was raised and I’m a strange spot it could be an error.

6. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

7. SlipperySocks

SlipperySocks Well-Known Member

The crown is where another coin with reeded edging(.25c or .10c) fell onto and dented the cent.

tommyc03 likes this.
  8. Michael K

Michael K Well-Known Member

Cuds are blobs of metal on/near the rim.
    Can these zinc atrocities even get cuds? Paddy would know.

paddyman98 likes this.
  9. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

@Matthew G.
    That's not a CUD
    As mentioned it is just a hard hit from another coin that has a reeded edge.

Damaged. Not a Mint Error

10. Idries Pappas

Idries Pappas Well-Known Member

11. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

I understand it is just damaged but it isn’t a dent, it is a raised chunk of metal. Or am I just being too faithful in this worthless coin?

12. paddyman98

paddyman98 I'm a professional expert in specializing! Supporter

These are CUDs
    http://cuds-on-coins.com

It's raised probably because the edge of the other coin pushed the metal upwards.

13. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Which side of the mark do you think is raised....the side to the northwest?....or the side to the southeast?

Chris

14. Kasia

Kasia Got my learning hat on

The 'crown' is a bag mark, as it was caused by the reeded edge of another coin. When metal is displaced, it has to go somewhere. Sometimes it goes into a 'buildup' of metal on the coin.

Some say that it is damaged because of this, but I don't know that it would be held against the coin. If this type of bag mark was on a quarter it would not because it could easily have occurred in the mint hopper or shipping coins out in bags. Perhaps with it on a cent, where the cent has no reeded edge, it will be seen as damage outside the mint, since it should not have happened in the mint or in shipping cents out of the mint.

15. Matthew G.

Matthew G. Member

Thanks everyone!

16. Inspector43

Inspector43 Celebrating 75 Years Active Collecting Supporter

All those things are possible. But, it looks to me like it could be an inclusion such as a small wire.

Draft saved Draft deleted