please help identify. German. found during WW2

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Raleigh1, Apr 18, 2018.

1. sakata

sakata Devil's Advocate

That is an excellent book and I have recommended it many times.

Oldhoopster likes this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Hiddendragon

Hiddendragon World coin collector

This is another one on the same subject that I enjoyed. 9781620402368.jpg

Oldhoopster and Stevearino like this.
  4. daveydempsey

daveydempsey Well-Known Member

After WW2 things went a little differently, due to the idea that winning a war is not as difficult as achieving continuous peace afterwards. So for the past 70 years or so, the French-German cooperation has been a core element of European integration ...

More like Germany was occupied by foreign forces to prevent them doing it again.

The French pulled out of their zone.

5. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Actually I was not referring to the post-WW2 military occupation by the four allies - and yes, France had its zone (almost) like the others, and kept it - but to the political cooperation and integration of the two countries. Think of Adenauer and de Gaulle, or maybe Mitterrand and Kohl, and many others. I do not like the term "friendship" for the relations of two countries, but in this case it may be appropriate. After so many years of pretty much the contrary, this special relationship is quite precious.

Christian

Last edited: Apr 19, 2018
  6. Bert Gedin

Bert Gedin Well-Known Member

The word, "inflation" comes to mind.

7. Bert Gedin

1 Krone 1914 could be Denmark, or even Austria (closer to Germany). But hardly Germany - which has, to my mind, never had the "krone".

8. chrisild

chrisild Coin Collector

Problem is we're talking about several different pieces here. :) The medal in the initial post is a medal with prices/exchange rates referring to Germany. Of the two pieces in post #6, the first one is an Austrian pattern while the second one is a Hungarian medal - see @Jaelus 's comments. And for Austria at that time, the "Krone" makes sense, even though the piece was probably not an "official" pattern but a private third party design.

Christian

9. Bert Gedin

Thanks for that "info", Christian. Just for the record, if anyone doesn't know what the word, "Krone" means, it is "Crown". And I would have thought that any country using Crowns would, very likely, either be or have been, a monarchy.

10. Jaelus

Jaelus The Hungarian Antiquarian Supporter

Didn't mean to confuse anyone with my posts. I was commenting on the iconography on the OP's medal, and showing additional pieces with the same Austro-Hungarian iconography.

The 1914 krone I posted was a pattern submitted to the Austrian mint by Karl Goetz. Around that time the mint was playing with the idea of changing the corona, and was doing trials in aluminum. Ultimately the corona remained unchanged and was discontinued after 1916 due to the death of Franz Joseph.

Austria did issue a krone and 1/2 krone under Franz Joseph, but they were gold coins issued very early in his reign. In 1892 when Austria-Hungary adopted the gold standard, a new crown was introduced as a small silver coin, about the size of the 1/4 florin (or a US quarter). Instead of calling it a krone (German), the Austrian type was called the corona/e (Latin) and in Hungary it was called the korona (as Hungarian is a phonetic language).

chrisild and Oldhoopster like this.
  11. ffrickey

ffrickey Junior Member

I had always thought the French rather mean-spirited for insisting on swingeing reparations after WWI, but then I learned they were just getting their own back for the swingeing reparations they had to pay the Germans after the Franco-Prussian war. What goes around, comes around. Not to say the reparations were a good idea. There's a fine poem by Auden: September 1, 1939 - a few lines "I and the public know / what all schoolchildren learn / those to whom evil is done / do evil in return".

12. Stevearino

Stevearino Well-Known Member

@Raleigh1, the ST are my initials. I was wondering where I put that medal. You can PM me for address to return it :troll:

Steve

Draft saved Draft deleted