Please Help ID Roman Portrait Bust

Discussion in 'Ancient Coins' started by JoIke, Mar 5, 2021.

1. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Hi all,

Can someone please help me ID this Roman male portrait bust that's inset within a ring? He appears to be wearing a headband(?) and there appears to be monogram-initials(?) of some sort at right. Your thoughts?

Thank you all in advance for your time.

(p.s. his nose isn't as long as it appears within the image)

ROMANGLASS-001.jpg

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Mammothtooth

Mammothtooth Stand up Philosopher, Vodka Taster

Barry Manilow maybe....Danny Thomas...Lol.

Restitutor, Zebucatt and JoIke like this.
  4. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Lol! Now THAT would be interesting...

I know it's going to be a long shot. Just thought to post here after searching for a number of hours. Best I came up with was Antiochus III, but I'm sure that's incorrect?

5. Andres2

Andres2 Well-Known Member

educated guess:

P1180306.JPG

6. dltsrq

dltsrq Grumpy Old Man

The monogram seems to be Greek, perhaps Τω οr Γω (I can't tell whether the top bar extends to the left or not).

JoIke likes this.
  7. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Awesome! Thank you both for your time and help, most appreciated!

Pellinore likes this.
  8. gsimonel

gsimonel Well-Known Member

Whoever it is intended to be, it looks modern to me, not ancient.

9. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

@gsimonel

Today, while searching the web for comparables, I located the piece below...

NOBLEMAN 001.jpg

It's nearly identical (the intaglio & monogram letters) except my piece is inset into a more elaborate setting with a diamond bezel. The user who uploaded the above image to Pinterest pasted this description:

"Ancient Roman blue intaglio ring: Ancient Roman Blue glass oval transparent intaglio ring with the profile of a nobleman. 100 - 200 AD."

Now, I assume the Pinterest user copied/pasted this "professional looking" description and photo of the ring from some reputable auction site and/or museum site, but I have not been able to locate.

I'd very much appreciate if members here can please help me locate where this user uploaded this description and photo from. I've searched and searched but nothing! :(

10. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

P.S. the photo image of my piece is horrible compared to the Pinterest example, but I assure you, it's identical.

11. JoIke

JoIke Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted