Please help I.D. these Spanish colonial coins?

Discussion in 'World Coins' started by Frankp36, Mar 29, 2015.

1. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

Hi all,

Can someone please help me to figure out what these 2 coins are exactly and maybe a possible value? I would appreciate it greatly.

Thanks 001.JPG 002.JPG 003.JPG 004.JPG

2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Jason Hoffpauir

Jason Hoffpauir Avid Coin Collector

To be honest...this one is going to take some time to research...I would try NGC's World Coin Price Guide and check the listing that come up when you type Spanish Colonials. Hope this helps.

4. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

The first one: 2 reales. Not colonial but Spanish.

5. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

Thanks a lot

6. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

[Q'sTE="Siberian Man, post: 2117691, member: 22500"]The first one: 2 reales. Not colonial but Spanish.[/QUOTE]

I appreciate the help sir. That is all that I knew is that it was a two reales coin. I don't know if it's Mexico City or from Peru...Bolivia...etc... and by the looks of the type I would say it is most likely from the 1600's. the 18th century and newer have a completely different type look. Wouldn't you agree with me? I don't understand by when you said not colonial what do you mean by that? I really really appreciate your help and time. thanks a lot

7. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

The second coin appears to be issued under the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella, but its a bit hard to verify with the photograph. Is it copper and what is the diameter?

8. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Actually, I take my previous statement back. One side definately shows the lion of Leon, however, the other side looks like the front of a cathedral, which you commonly see on older coins minted in Spain

9. Frankp36

Frankp36 Member

yes you are correct about the reign of Ferdinand and Isabella because it came along with four other Ferdinand and Isabella Cobbs. They were the coins issued to fund the Columbus voyage I have a total of five of them but this one I have in the photograph is a Ferdinand and Isabella cob but has different details than the four other ones. That is why I am very confused. I did not know they made varieties of the Ferdinand and Isabella Cobbs. It is copper and about the diameter of a nickel while the other Cobbs are smaller.

10. Hispanicus

Hispanicus Stand Fast!

Sir,
    As Siberian Man pointed out, it is indeed a Spanish coin as opposed to a Spanish colonial piece. Try this link to a fairly comprehensive catalog of Spanish coins, you'll find your silver 2 reales under: Felipe II, "piezas de plata" (pieces of silver). The website is in Spanish, but the pictures need no translation.
    http://www.catalogodemonedas.es/?q=catalogo/monedas/24/94/148&pagina=4

Hope this helps

11. Siberian Man

Siberian Man Senior Member

Certainly, 2 reales of the king Felipe was released not at XVIII century. I suppose that it is a coin of the first half of the XVII century. A coins of the XVIII century has another design.

Attached Files:

• 51.jpg
      51.jpg
      File size:
      195 KB
      Views:
    • 52.jpg
      52.jpg
      File size:
      202.6 KB
      Views:
    • 55.jpg