Please help a naive British collector...

Discussion in 'What's it Worth' started by Richard Smith, Aug 2, 2015.

1. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Greetings to you all! Firstly, let me apologize in advance for a (probably) silly question. I am an avid fan of this forum, and keen to learn more about US coins, but you are all so knowledgeable and sometimes dazzle me with acronyms and terms. I have seen several threads on Wheat Pennies with 'wood' or 'woodgrain' lustre (sorry, luster), and I like these in particular- the play of colours (erm...colors) across the surfaces I find particularly pleasing. I stumbled upon this recently in a mixed bunch, and wondered if anybody could tell me anything about it. I have struggled with photo's as you can tell- taken from straight on the coin appears to have almost no profile to it, but in the light it shows much more. The strike also seems 'fuzzy' to me. Could anybody shed any light on whether it is just a weak strike, or PMD (told you I was learning coinspeak). I apologize in advance for wasting your time, but I would be grateful if you could indulge a novice enthusiast and help me on my learning curve to appreciate more your fine coinage. Thank you!

Attached Files:

swamp yankee and jwitten like this.
  2. Avatar

Guest User Guest

to hide this ad.
  3. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

Congratulations, you appear to have a Woodie... American cents were made of an alloy or mixture of 95% copper and 5% tin/zinc. If the mixture was not well blended, a Woodie could result.

spirityoda and swamp yankee like this.
  4. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Thanks! I appreciate your time. Does this have any bearing on the value of any coin, or is it just down to personal preference?

5. cpm9ball

cpm9ball CANNOT RE-MEMBER

Welcome to the neighborhood, Richard!

I don't collect coins smaller than quarters because I usually get headaches, but there are plenty here who do collect them. Anyhow, a lot of us just sit around on our bum waiting to answer questions for those wanting to learn.

Chris:bookworm::bookworm:

swamp yankee likes this.
  6. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Hi Chris!
    Thank you for your warm welcome, everybody is so friendly on CoinTalk. What you describe sounds like my perfect job! I have a good working knowledge of British coins, and would love to help others with questions, but a lot of the forums in the UK are less than helpful, with conversations regularly descending into abuse and mayhem. From what I have seen here, your members are always happy to help with expert advice- the array of knowledge is simply vast. I look forward to being part of such a community.
    Many Thanks,
    Rich

7. swamp yankee

swamp yankee Well-Known Member

Rich, You picked the BEST group of well-informed experts I've seen yet,congrats and welcome!....

8. buddy16cat

buddy16cat Well-Known Member

I was thinking that too. That coin is a woody.

9. 2Old

2Old Active Member

Check out all these "Woodies".

LINK

10. messydesk

messydesk Well-Known Member

The "woodgrain" cents (and 2-cent pieces) pop up between 1864 and what seems like the 1920s and, as mentioned, are a result of a non-homogeneous alloy. Some people like them, some don't. There are probably enough out there where it would be possible to restrict collecting to those cents that have woodgrain toning and build quite a collection.

The blurriness on your coin has two sources. It has been worn down to VG condition, so more than half of the original detail is gone. It also seems to have been struck with a mushy, worn out die, as LIBERTY should be sharper than it is on a coin worn like yours.

On the downside, however, your coin looks to have been cleaned at one time. There's too much brightness on the coin for its grade, and this is especially apparent on pictures ...0022 and ...0023.

11. Kentucky

Kentucky Supporter! Supporter

wood.jpg
    Not a terribly good pic, but I got it by putting "british coins with woodgrain finish" on google

12. Richard Smith

Richard Smith Member

Awesome, I am glad there are many more out there- the collection starts here! Thank you all for your help and invaluable information. I love the effect the wood finish gives the US coins- on the British ones I have it is not a consistent colour across the planchet- more like large and ugly brassy streaks which do not add a lot of eye appeal, I love the US cent woodies irrespective of grade and condition. Many thanks to all for confirming my first one- hopefully the first of many to come....
    Best wishes everybody!

13. Brian Calvert

Brian Calvert Active Member

Hello Mate,

This site is the bee's knees. Be careful in the states for Dodgy...
    For the past Fortnight I have been studying my Bullocks off here in my Flat. Some times I want to chunder. My coin collection is a Damp Squib.
    I still can't start a thread and have Lost the plot. I am Gobsmacked and Guttered over this, knackered too.

Cheers

Draft saved Draft deleted